User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dropper post opinions: E-thirteen dropper seatpost and Thomson Covert

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dropper post opinions: E-thirteen dropper seatpost and Thomson Covert

Has anyone actually seen the new E-Thirteen dropper post in the flesh? I am in desperate need of a 31.6mm post for my hardtail and came across this:

New TRS+ dropper post from e*thirteen - BikeRadar

It is entirely mechanical (think Gravity Dropper) yet stealth routed. I love the idea of simple and would give up smoothness (think Reverb) in favour of reliability. Retail is $275, which seems a bit cheaper than other droppers, PLUS way simpler, which is a plus to me.

Unfortunately, they are not available until sometime in December, according to a gent from E-13, so I am stuck without a post in the interim. I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on this post. If the consensus is that its bad, I might scrap it and go with another, more available, higher tech option (that I would likely buy used from Pinkbike or here)

As an aside, my LBS is selling a Thomson stealth dropper for $400CAD (about $300US). It seems pretty pricey to a cheapskate like me, but can anyone comment on the overall quality and reliability of these posts? When the cartridge dies, does it actually have to get sent back to Thomson and be replaced there? It is truly unserviceable? How much does a Thomson 'service' cost?

Thanks for your opinions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dropper post opinions: E-thirteen dropper seatpost and Thomson Covert

I endorse 9point8 Fall Line; trouble free, smooth & adjustable compression/return, intelligent seat clamp configuration with inline or offset head, multiple remote options, every part is replaceable, and the post is user serviceable. BTW, the manufacturer is in Canada.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dropper post opinions: E-thirteen dropper seatpost and Thomson Covert

Quote Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
    Has anyone actually seen the new E-Thirteen dropper post in the flesh? I am in desperate need of a 31.6mm post for my hardtail and came across this:

New TRS+ dropper post from e*thirteen - BikeRadar

It is entirely mechanical (think Gravity Dropper) yet stealth routed. I love the idea of simple and would give up smoothness (think Reverb) in favour of reliability. Retail is $275, which seems a bit cheaper than other droppers, PLUS way simpler, which is a plus to me.

Unfortunately, they are not available until sometime in December, according to a gent from E-13, so I am stuck without a post in the interim. I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on this post. If the consensus is that its bad, I might scrap it and go with another, more available, higher tech option (that I would likely buy used from Pinkbike or here)

As an aside, my LBS is selling a Thomson stealth dropper for $400CAD (about $300US). It seems pretty pricey to a cheapskate like me, but can anyone comment on the overall quality and reliability of these posts? When the cartridge dies, does it actually have to get sent back to Thomson and be replaced there? It is truly unserviceable? How much does a Thomson 'service' cost?

Thanks for your opinions
    A key piece of advice you want about dropper posts is the reliability. E13 is brand new, so we don't know how those posts really work yet and won't for a year or two.

The thomson on the other hand is a known quantity. It works well, perhaps up near the best of them, but gets rough after a season w/ a lot of use or definitely after 2 seasons. (i've experienced this twice). Sending it back is your only option as far as I can tell. If it's within the warranty period and something goes wrong, you're looking at $164.95 USD + shipping it to Georgia. If it's within the warranty period, the service is free.

My personal experience is one going back after 2 seasons w/ stickiness issues, and $120CAD via local shop... they just gave me a new post. Then the next season the post had some sinking/sagging issues and thompson said the local shop route was no longer and I had to send it directly to them. That one had no fee... but on another bike, the post was outside the 2 year range and after 2 seasons had some sticking down/return issues... but just outside warranty – that was $164.95.

I like the posts, wish they went longer than a season before crapping out, and wish I could service them at home like i do everything else. Riding the rigid post during the service period really had me thinking twice about how much I need/want the dropper. Also, the cost of the posts is absurd and the price for service is bonkers.

The mechanical/serviceable(?) aspect of the e13 does look rather promising. After a bad experience w/ their xc cranks and a general sense of the company going a weird direction, I'm happy to wait and see.
    « Μ0 »

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This reminds me that I have to buy a carbon post for my Fuel EX and drop the dropper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can understand not wanting to "upgrade" to dropper post. However you must be the only one person in the world who have one already and wants to ditch it. It's not like it is slowing you down.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a Thomson that I've used for 2 seasons. It's definitely a want and not a need. But for trips to Moab and such (super tech sections), it is very helpful. But I cringe at the thought of the $$ I'll have to spend to keep it running. Maybe switching back to a rigid post and installing a quick release seat post clamp is a better idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my gravity dropper clone might lack the infinite positions of high end droppers but it does the job and is easy to tear appart and clean up once in a while.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    my gravity dropper clone might lack the infinite positions of high end droppers but it does the job and is easy to tear appart and clean up once in a while.
    Hi Thomas -

what seat post brand is it, if its not a Gravity Dropper or an E13?

anecdotally, I spoke with a shop dude today about his thoughts on a cheap X-fusion that they sell. He said to skip it, but he also mentioned that his personal bike is less than a year old and he's on his fourth Reverb - that is exactly what I want to avoid, warranty issue or not!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forca sps400. I replaced the remote lever with another one that doesn't seem to eat the cable as much.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can understand not wanting to "upgrade" to dropper post. However you must be the only one person in the world who have one already and wants to ditch it. It's not like it is slowing you down.
    It's heavy as hell, I never use it, t's probably the first thing that will fail, the rest of the bike is super light. On top of all of that I can use some setback on the seatpost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That simple fact must make ownership much more enjoyable. I dread something going wrong and having to ship internationally and risk getting dinged by import duty :/
    « Μ0 »