User Tag List

Thread: Dropper post ; who is using ; and what to buy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dropper post ; who is using ; and what to buy?

At 6'5" I'm often challenged going down steep descends.
    Dropping the seat makes for a great improvement and really wondering if a dropper is in my future.
    Anybody here using one?
    Liking it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dropper post ; who is using ; and what to buy?

I've got several Gravity Dropper Turbo's and recently been using a Reverb (borrowed from the GF's bike).

The GD are dead simple and reliable.

The Reverb I am still getting used to dropping and getting it into the position I want.

With the GD the positions are set. I like just dropping it 1 inch for most things and then only 2 inches for when it's seriously steep. With the Reveb I seem to over drop and then it doesn't feel the way I like it.

I'd say you need to try out one with a set drop about and one of the infinite and see what you like.
    Brian Earle
    North Vancouver, BC
    Built a few frames in my garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love love love the Gravity Dropper. I've used the Reverb on a buddies bike and it felt smooth. I think it broke 3 times and was warrantied each time. He sold it and is now on a Thomson and loves it.

I have a disease called upgraditis and will eventually buy the 27.2 Thomson to give it a try. But the Gravity Dropper is simple, light and easy to work on.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not using one, even though lots of people love them and I believe they have benefits.

Maybe "singlespeed-rigid-simple" thing, nothing extra on the bar, extra weight, cost is high, etc.

But from what I hear, the Thomson is THE one to get.

i've seen them NOT work in a variety of ways, and I wouldn't be in to dealing with that on my bike.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my dropper, and would highly recommend one to anyone who rides a mtb down hills.
    I have a reverb with 2 seasons of use and no issues on my bike. I am happy with it, and there is no cable to get fouled up, but they should probably be rebuilt every couple seasons like a shock. The lever also is a bit of a pain to set up well with my XT shifters/brakes and would likely work better with sram stuff, the cable levers are smaller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trek - RS Reverb Stealth 125 that came with the bike. Flawless operation. Someday I'll swap the remote to be under the bar.

RM Element - RS Reverb 125 that came with the bike. Ditto to above

Trek 69er - Maverick Speedball with some CB Joplin guts. Lots of lateral play but it goes up and down just fine. Love the remote and its location which I run under the bar just behind the brake lever. It feels like a mini brake lever. Love.

I spent years on Speedballs and Joplins. Definitely had a couple of failures but the rebuilds were easy when I could just go to Maverick and get it back the next day.

I've got a Fox DOSS 125 that I won on the way. Don't know if I'll use it but I have a unused XTR shift pod that I was thinking of hacking to control the post. Maybe one of the droppers will go on the wife's bike but at her height (5'2") few droppers these days will fit her. Maybe I'll put it on my CX bike. ;)

Anyway, I like the RS Reverb. Smooth as butter, nice finish, and super easy to service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read "dopper post; who is using and what to buy". I thought it could have good info in here ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i went from a hardtail to a full suss with a dropper...honestly, the biggest difference for me was the dropper...a lot more confidence descending

if i could do it again, i'd probably get a hardtail with a slacker HT, shorter chainstays, and provisions for a dropper...i think that would be my ideal whip

i had the thomson...now i have the ks lev...the cable routing is MUCH better...also the lever is better IMO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funcrusher, agree completely.

I have a 26" full suspension bike that I added a Reverb dropper to this year and a 29" hardtail without. I brought the 29" to a rugged 25 mile XC race last weekend and found myself wanting a dropper really badly before I was halfway around.

IMO hardtails can benefit from a dropper even more than full suspension bikes. The seat kicks back at you much more over rough terrain, an effect that rear suspension takes that edge off without trying. Combine that with the giant wheels and my rigid hardtail is significantly slower downhill than my FS. Add a dropper back in and the gap would be tiny.

It turns any mountain bike into a BMX / dirt jumper bike at the push of a button. I now understand the reason they're a stock part on all fancy bikes these days. If they weren't so expensive I would order one right away for the 29er.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm running a Thomson dropper on my 429c and love it so far. One of the nice things about the Thomson and Reverbs are the infinite adjustment, I like that a lot better than the 3 position posts.

Take it for what it's worth but down at the LBS I moonlight at we have only had 1 Thomson to warranty so far vs countless Reverbs and KS Levs. Oh and just in case people were wondering about the Fox DOSS...personally I hate the trigger on it, my brain likes simplicity, I don't like having to remember the combination of buttons to get my proper saddle height.

My $0.02.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thomson, highly recommended. Has been solid 2 seasons running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with all here--my hardtail with a dropper (I have a 27.2 lev with no problems, just tricky to get the cable cut exactly right) is more friendly on technical trails than my full squish xc ever was. Totally worth it.

However... if you're coming from a road background you probably need some practice at using your weight positioning more effectively. I see lots of roadies who drop their seat, and then stay very static... just with a slightly lower center of gravity. Which helps, of course, but doesn't really make the difference it could. When I was learning (on an 18lb hardtail with a race chopped sid w/ 55mm of travel, chopped handle bars... omg mtb used to be crazy) it was still the ass-out-the-back plan to get the weight between the wheels. As I found out later, this meant locking out the arms and makes actually controlling the bike pretty tough (but does make bailing out the back easier...). Learning again how to get low, keep the arms and legs flexed, and staying active is where I am, and the dropper does help make it easier and more enjoyable to do so.

tl;dr the dropper is awesome, but don't substitute it for good skills.