User Tag List

Thread: Does Such a Unicorn Exist?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Does Such a Unicorn Exist?

Looking for a "stock" mountain bike made of metal with internal cable routing. By "stock" I mean a regular production bike, not a bespoke build. The only internally routed frames I've come across are carbon, and I don't think I want that for this application. 29'r rigid, disc brakes, relaxed geo. I'm 6 ft 2. 34" inseam.

Application: non-technical riding where larger tires required and where mountain bike geo/platform would better than a gravel bike. Frame should have multiple attachment points for bottle holders, racks etc. Think 'bikepacking'
    I have a carbon fat bike, it's great but humping that big rubber all the time is a drag and the frame has zero attachment points beyond the water bottle bracket. I want physical bosses/braze-ons, not stuff strapped to the carbon in a way the frame wasn't designed for. I hate external cables and wires ever since getting my Mosaic; internalization makes it a lot easier and cleaner to mount stuff.

I don't think this thing exists based on what I've seen on bikepacking.com's bike reviews but you guys and gals have a different set of experiences and may know of something the inter webs don't know. I know I can get this from Seven, Mosaic or a host of other builders but I'm reluctant to drop that $$ on something that won't get as much use as my two road bikes ......unless I convince myself that I need a custom mountain bike that I can also commute and grocery shop on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Does Such a Unicorn Exist?

As a former owner of a custom Mosaic MT-1, I can add a data point here - Mosaic will actually not do this for you, other than for the dropper post routing - even that exits the seat tube near the BB junction. I asked, and they refused - seemed to feel pretty strongly about it. Specifically, their belief is that the drilling required compromises the integrity of the frame for aggressive riding, and that you shouldn't trust any builder that would do this for you, at least not for Titanium.

Given how difficult Ti is to work with, and the legacy of cracked Ti frames, and Mosaic's strong track record, I tend to trust them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ebing View Post
    As a former owner of a custom Mosaic MT-1, I can add a data point here - Mosaic will actually not do this for you, other than for the dropper post routing - even that exits the seat tube near the BB junction. I asked, and they refused - seemed to feel pretty strongly about it. Specifically, their belief is that the drilling required compromises the integrity of the frame for aggressive riding, and that you shouldn't trust any builder that would do this for you, at least not for Titanium.

Given how difficult Ti is to work with, and the legacy of cracked Ti frames, and Mosaic's strong track record, I tend to trust them.
    Hmmm. I have a Mosaic GT-1 from late 2019 that is internally routed. And it's wonderful. And to be clear...it's the brake lines that are internally routed. I'm running wireless for the drivetrain.

Is this just their position for mountain bikes...maybe they changed their mind?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure why the internal routing is a deal breaker.

I have a Kona Raijin...I'd find one of those and slap a rigid fork on it...would be perfect.

Also, take a look at what Lynskey has to offer.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Not sure why the internal routing is a deal breaker.

SPP
    Purely personal preference. I just like not having to strap over or around cables and I just like the way it looks.It's not a hard-stop deal breaker, but it would be my preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve never looked, but I think the mounting points on a stock mountain bike is a tough ask. Participants in some of the really tough ultra endurance races (like Atlas Mountain Race) sometimes use mountain bikes. You could look there.

The woman’s Unbound XL was won on a Specialized Epic with drop bars and she carried lots of luggage but I don’t think the bike had mounting points. The Chisel is the aluminum version of that bike and is internally routed. Can you get one? No, you cannot get one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mosaicís position on this was just for mountain bikes - they definitely do it for the GT series, but I think their reasoning is that those bikes donít typically need to deal with the stresses of aggressive trail riding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Looking for a "stock" mountain bike made of metal with internal cable routing. By "stock" I mean a regular production bike, not a bespoke build. The only internally routed frames I've come across are carbon, and I don't think I want that for this application. 29'r rigid, disc brakes, relaxed geo. I'm 6 ft 2. 34" inseam.
    The first production mountain bike I checked, the Orbea Alma, has its aluminium version with internal routing so I am not sure what you mean by finding a unicorn. Those ones do not have rack attachements though. I am not sure why having apparent cables is an issue on a more touring/adventure oriented bikes though as it is pretty much aesthetically the same once you start attaching a lof ot random touring shit to it and I guess most of these bikes are made in a way to be as easy to service as possible given they are made mostly for self supported trips so it makes a lot more sense to have those externally routed.

Given your requirements, your experience with a fat MTB I would say the Trek 1120 29+ touring MTB (basically a touring Stache) would make a lot of sense. The cables are only partially routed (dropper in the seat tube, derailleur and brakes in the chainstays) but there are routed in a way (on top of the downtube and below the bottle cages) that make them barely visible. The good thing is it can be ordered as a frame only if you are very picky with the build choices.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 06-16-2021 at 06:43 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Thomas. I missed that entirely when I looked on the Trek site. And Orbea.....not even on my radar....can't tell you the last time I saw one or where there's a dealer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Thomas. I missed that entirely when I looked on the Trek site. And Orbea.....not even on my radar....can't tell you the last time I saw one or where there's a dealer.
    Living in Spain definitely help for that. :)
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you're after is probably a Salsa Timberjack. The alloy version has top tube and downtube mounts. It's available as a full bike or as frame. You'd be able to pair it with a rigid fork too. Can run as a 29er or 650B+. It's even fairly slack geometry.

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timber...mberjack_xt_29

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was just going to point you to the Timberjack. I have the Ti version built from the frame up, but would gladly ride one of their aluminum frames as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just here to say that reading the first post made me open another tab and start looking at Salsa, because it seemed like they'd have something that'd quality. Then I got completely distracted looking at their bikes, wish I had a monster cross bike still.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel foolish. Both of those eluded my search. The Salsa, paired with a rigid fork with all sorts of mounts, might do the trick. Of course, it's probably not available, but that's another thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel foolish. Both of those eluded my search. The Salsa, paired with a rigid fork with all sorts of mounts, might do the trick. Of course, it's probably not available, but that's another thread!
    it's still probably worth checking around. there's a single speed XL bike at my local dealer. buy yeah, mountain bikes are in short supply right now.