Thread: Do you need a Dirt Jumper?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do you need a Dirt Jumper?

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    I bet you were at the Frisco bike park, which is awesome. The jump lines there are great. Very progressive from full beginner on the right to full X-Games on the left. The area above the jump lines has three slopestyle lines and dual slalom course. Great skate park there too.
    Yup, that's the place. I was in heaven, kids were all, "can we go now please?" There was an older guy there on a 20 inch, word is he was a high school teacher as well, he gave me hope. I'd never try a 20 inch, last time I rode my kid's it was all I could do to keep it under me.

Our city just allowed the local cycling folks to cut some single track through an unused park on the edge of town. A nice not too technical 1 mile loop, with so decent climbing. Not much else going on there, and the single track doesn't bother any of it. Would be the perfect place for a pump track...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    You guys are the worst. Now I want a dirt jumper or BMX. Luckily Craigslist doesn't have anything in my area.
    There is a dirt jump line a short roll from my house, but I'm only interested in watching. If there was a pump track, however, I'd be right out there looking silly, and a pump track bike would follow because this is the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    There is a dirt jump line a short roll from my house, but I'm only interested in watching. If there was a pump track, however, I'd be right out there looking silly, and a pump track bike would follow because this is the way.
    This is the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Municipal paved pumptracks start at $175k with the company I work for. We try not to do dirt municipal pumptracks any more because itís almost impossible to insure that they will be properly maintained.

A dirt pumptrack track kinda just shrinks over time unless people love on it with shovels and picks pretty regularly, or a signed plan for maintenance is in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post

Our city just allowed the local cycling folks to cut some single track through an unused park on the edge of town. A nice not too technical 1 mile loop, with so decent climbing. Not much else going on there, and the single track doesn't bother any of it. Would be the perfect place for a pump track...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    Municipal paved pumptracks start at $175k with the company I work for. We try not to do dirt municipal pumptracks any more because itís almost impossible to insure that they will be properly maintained.

A dirt pumptrack track kinda just shrinks over time unless people love on it with shovels and picks pretty regularly, or a signed plan for maintenance is in place.
    Interesting. Is paved pump track design & install custom every time, or does a firm like yours have pre-designed options for different plot dimensions? I assume there is a minimum footprint for a workable design, and Iíve been surprised by how small some pump tracks can be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    JEALOUS! Whatcha wearing for shoes? I'm trying to get better at 180's right now and i've sacked out yet another pair of vans. A nice supple shoe for feel that also has heel impact protection is an eternal quest.
    I re-learned 180's this summer, took me forever. did get to the point where I can do them clipped in on my 29'er though.

I would like a bit more of play bike sometime, but riding small wheels brings back some bad memories of waking up in a puddle of my own blood.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every pumptrack is custom. The 3d renders we send clients are usually based on some stock shapes that have radiii that will work in the footprint we have to work with, but besides making sure what we are building lines up with the drainage and electrical lines that the client needs(which is based on our preliminary design), itís a bit free form.

Paving is obviously the last step, the substrates we use to build the track are rideable after we lay them down and compact them, so flow-checks are always happening. When we do small and paved, I always default to ďis it fun on a razor scooter?Ē and ďis there sessionable non-linear flow potential?Ē

Some of the bigger pumptracks we do are multiple areas of paved waves connected by straights with rollers, and when they give us room, some paved beginner/intermediate table top jump lines.

We did a very small paved track for a condo development in Maryland last spring that had a pretty small footprint while still having an ďouter loopĒ and enough interior snake-run stuff and transfers to satisfy the gamut of users.

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Interesting. Is paved pump track design & install custom every time, or does a firm like yours have pre-designed options for different plot dimensions? I assume there is a minimum footprint for a workable design, and Iíve been surprised by how small some pump tracks can be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the thoughtful answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is awesome. I really want to build up a 4x/Slalom hardtail. I bought a BMX bike about 10 years ago and had a ton of fun on some dirt piles in the back yard we shaped into some small jumps but at >6'3" I could never get fully comfortable on the 20" wheels (operator error for sure). I definitely got faster on the mountain bike while I had it thought!!
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    This thread is awesome. I really want to build up a 4x/Slalom hardtail. I bought a BMX bike about 10 years ago and had a ton of fun on some dirt piles in the back yard we shaped into some small jumps but at >6'3" I could never get fully comfortable on the 20" wheels (operator error for sure). I definitely got faster on the mountain bike while I had it thought!!
    Jason, if want a BMX check out 22" wheels. The bike I shown above has the same RAD measurement as my 26" wheeled DJ, and is just a bit shorter than my Trek Remedy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    If you have, or no someone with a sloping farm / meadow, I cant imagine having much more fun than building a track and ripping ruts and flat turns for a few hours.

I spent a decent amount of time in skateparks and dirtjumps as a kid, mostly on a 26", but later on a 20". Only reason I got into the 20"s to be was the fact that we could ride them in my friends basement in the winter months, as well as not feeling like an outcast, amongst groups of other outcasts at the skatepark. I definitely was never any good, it never came natural to me, but I felt even less natural on a 20" (even after spending lots of time on it). But then again as 6'4" lanky kid in highschool pretty much everything was un-natural for me.

I did eventually end up purchasing an eastern traildigger 24" dad BMX bike, it was kind of cool, but still was short length wise for me. Felt like a crapier version of a park MTB, couldnt possibly imagine trying to ride that thing "fast".

p4pb3131124.jpg

All the best bikes I rode were borrowed when I broke things, one friend had a Evil imperial built for park that was pretty darn amazing, below I borrowed another Evil from a teammate for a race when I broke another frame. Coincidentally also probably the only time I rode bikes big enough for me.

3098_1093566059401_1776123_n.jpg
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12