User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you like internal routing for your droppah or not? (Singlespeeders please read)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do you like internal routing for your droppah or not? (Singlespeeders please read)

Title says it all except I'ma elaborate here... I am thinking of the way to get the cleanest cable routing and actually wondering if internal routing really is the way to go. Now, hear me out... My internal dropper cable must go awkwardly out the slot, past the left crank and it does a helix on the DT routing with the brake line (I could have them on different sides of the head tube to avoid the helix but thats not how it's set up right now and I would have to trim the hydraulic line even more to make that happen and I feel like it will affect the steering with less cable). Anywho, I saw another singlespeed with a non-stealth dropper and it just looked way cleaner. One droppah cable on the bottom of the TT and the back brake going down the DT. It made me wonder if my stealth routing was all that cool. Do non-stealth posts work any less amazeballs?

What are your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do you like internal routing for your droppah or not? (Singlespeeders please read

Most external droppers route to the seat clamp not the outer tube so the hose/cable has to move up and down with the post. This makes routing more complicated and causes extra rubbing so I would advise to stay with stealth style routing if your frame is compatible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do you like internal routing for your droppah or not? (Singlespeeders please read

Kris @ 44 wrote a great blog post about this a year or two ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a huge fan of internal routing for a seatpost. Makes initial adjustements more complicated for no real added value.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like external.

if (when) it needs serviced you can take it off easily and you can also trade it for the rigid one you keep under the truck seat for the same reason.
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-1 for external routing to the seat clamp. The housing moving around as you raise/lower gets on my nerves.

No doubt external routing makes setup + maintenance more convenient though! On my MTB not setup for stealth, have had good success with the Fox Transfer dropper. Its external routing goes to the base of the stanchion, not the seatclamp, so has a fixed mount location. Have your cake + eat it too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is stealth routed,
    Works well

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How "internal" are we talking? I am fine with a clean slot in the side of the seat tube and a stealth dropper. Routing the cable into the front of the frame someplace and under/ over the bottom brackets seems silly.

I have an external dropper with the cable at the collar because I don't have a hole in my seat tube for a stealth option and I didn't want the cable attached at the saddle clamp for the reasons stated above.

It seems that there are more and better options for stealth droppers and they are not going away. Go stealth for some of the same reasons you would not go non-boost at this point.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX
    A Thorn in Your Sidewall

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What bike are we talking here first for reference's sake?

Here's the blog post in question.

Internal routing for droppers is a bit of an oxymoron. It is internal in most cases but only inside the seat tube some times. Some it goes inside the entire frame or sneaks out between tube junctions. All of them look clean but most sacrifice ease of set up and maintenance. Probably the cleanest external routed dropper is Fox's Transfer. The actuation is on the lower half of the post and tucks away cleanly with a nice loop down to the top tube if there is external routing points along the underside of the TT (or if there is a port some place close):

One of the more adjustable and easier internal dropper posts to work with is 9point8's Fall Line. You can shim them internally with a simple tool to a variety of lengths (or trim the shim set to actually make a completely custom length dropper). Most internal droppers are a pain when you insert them as the cable pops off the retainer. 9point8 actually uses 2 set screws to secure the cable and the entire assembly threads into the bottom of the post. So when you actually insert everything, it's quite painless and measuring cable length is much easier. (And the damned post is really well made and it is reliable.)
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Editors Note: In my experience, internal/external work equally well. This internal vs external thing (IMO) boils down to aesthetics.

What typically makes droppers not work is either A. they need maintenance or B. the seat collar bolt torque is too high...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My bike? One of the latter Cielo 29ers to roll out of Chris King before they quit frames. It came (unbeknownst to me at time of order) with the stealth routing easter egg, a little slot on the non-drive side by the BB, designed to curve up and go on the underside of the DT. I've had almost two trouble years with it, just thinking about what's cleanest in the event I source a new dropper, since as my routing and cable length go, they need to do that little helix.

Edit: I could solve with re routing and re-trimming stuff, but like I said, I don't want to mess with steering as both cable and hydraulic hose lengths are fine at the bars right now, and I happened to see another SS rider with an external that looked super clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    My bike? One of the latter Cielo 29ers to roll out of Chris King before they quit frames. It came (unbeknownst to me at time of order) with the stealth routing easter egg, a little slot on the non-drive side by the BB, designed to curve up and go on the underside of the DT. I've had almost two trouble years with it, just thinking about what's cleanest in the event I source a new dropper, since as my routing and cable length go, they need to do that little helix.

Edit: I could solve with re-routing and re-trimming stuff, but as I said, I don't want to mess with steering as both cable and hydraulic hose lengths are fine at the bars right now, and I happened to see another SS rider with an external that looked super clean.
    That's how most internal ST cable routes are solved: inside the ST, exit non-drive side them up the side of the DT. The only issue is with this (IMO) is the cable is on the same side as the lever. The cleanest way is when the route wraps around the HT and either enters the DT or is routed down the drive side. But that aesthetically puts the dropper line on the drive side. The cleanest solution I've found is Fox's Transfer. And I've seen the post run technically backward so the actuation on the bottom half of the post is on the non-drive side.

Does the frame have under the top tube cable routing?

You're kind of stuck with what the frame's cable management offers.

With cable actuated parts, you want the smoothest transitions and no hard kinks in the line (or multiple bends in-line). This is a classic example of how not to route cables at the time of production... The harder the bend, or the more bends in-line, the more likely that cable will saw into the housing and create drag.
    Last edited by fortyfour; 11-26-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine goes in on the downtube, bit of a tight curve past the bb then stealth. Had it for a year thus far, and if there is an issue I have no issue replacing a shift cable/housing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've swapped droppers back and forth on a couple of frames. Not a mechanically difficult task provided the routing is good. The only downside to internal would be that to completely remove and re-install a cable you're going to be using a fresh cable. So unless you're planning on swapping posts there's not much argument for external atmo.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post

Fox's Transfer. The actuation is on the lower half of the post and tucks away cleanly with a nice loop down to the top tube if there is external routing points along the underside of the TT

That's pretty sexy !!!

How's the post last?

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    That's pretty sexy !!!

How's the post last?

- Garro.
    I have a full season on my own Fox Factory Transfer. So far so good. It has a nice audible "pop" when it returns to full extension.

I've noted that both my 9point8 and Fox have ever so slight play at the head of the post but that's in the parking lot. I haven't noticed that same play out on the trail. Thomson? Nada.

No matter what post though, always mate it with one of Wolftooth's Remote Light Action levers. Such a nice upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should merge this with Lionel's anti-dropper thread, just so visitors to the Salon know there's no question that the question isn't whether to drop, but which one and how much, amiright? I feel like the pro-drop voice should be the last word.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Personally, what the "pros" run doesn't inform me how my own mountain bike is set up. The trails I ride provides that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imho the fox factory is the gold standard. If you need a very low stack post to max your drop range the bikeyoke is fine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fox is the most reliable post I've used. Wish they made one that had 200mm of drop.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright