User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you like internal routing for your droppah or not? (Singlespeeders please read)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do you like internal routing for your droppah or not? (Singlespeeders please read

fair enough. the PNW posts are great products and the external routing is easy as pie.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do you like internal routing for your droppah or not? (Singlespeeders please read

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Thread bump.
    I'm looking to put a dropper on my 2014 Kona Explosif, which is not set up for internal routing.
    Looking at PNW Cascade.
    For the not-so-mechanically inclined, how difficult is it to set up an external dropper?
    I did remove the f/d and front shifter when I got it, so there is room on the bars, as well as zip-tie-able cable stops running down the underside of the top tube.
    Seems like it s/b pretty easy.

Thoughts? Suggestions for other sub-$200 droppers I should look at?

Thanks,
    I have a PNW Pine with external routing on my Flash. The price was right (free) but it works pretty well. It's a little slow to drop and kind of heavy but it's been a set it and forget it component for me, especially compared to the fancier dropper posts a lot of my friends run that require constant upkeep.

I just ran full housing from the lever to the post, zip tie and electrical taping it to the brake house that was running on the top tube. It's a kludge that I'll end up redoing later, but it works.

I did end up upgrading to the Loam lever. I don't know if it was "drop bar lever" that came with the post, but there was some stamped steel nonsense that didn't work at all in the bag. The Loam lever is a good part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have mine routed just as you propose. The Special__ed Command Post has the housing go all the way to the head, so it's a big loop. But I have never, not even once, been made aware it's there while riding the bike. It does not make noise, either. If I had to do it again I would not use yellow zip ties, however.

And I upgraded the trigger with a Wolf Tooth unit, well worth it.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 3 Days Ago at 05:04 PM.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Do yourself a service and buy the cheapest droppers you can find, mainly the TransX/BrandX ones. They are available externally or internally routed, work beautifully, are reliable and don't develop tons of play like those +300$ seatpost do. And guess what, the external routing is perfect, won't damage your pretty frame and protect the cable from the elements :

I have that one. It has been solid , but comes up slowly after 2 -3 years of hard use. The internal cable that runs to the bottom of the post snapped way into a ride. Had to ride back with the post all the way down.
    Replaced the internal cable with a piece of shifter cable instead of the nylon(?).
    Bought a pro post with internal routing now and will have to drill a hole in the ST.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    I have a PNW Pine with external routing on my Flash. The price was right (free) but it works pretty well. It's a little slow to drop and kind of heavy but it's been a set it and forget it component for me, especially compared to the fancier dropper posts a lot of my friends run that require constant upkeep.

I just ran full housing from the lever to the post, zip tie and electrical taping it to the brake house that was running on the top tube. It's a kludge that I'll end up redoing later, but it works.

I did end up upgrading to the Loam lever. I don't know if it was "drop bar lever" that came with the post, but there was some stamped steel nonsense that didn't work at all in the bag. The Loam lever is a good part.
    Mine arrived yesterday and it is heavy as hell!
    I have new wheels/tires on order and will be going tubeless, so hopefully that’ll counterbalance it a bit, esp as it’s rolling weight.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123