User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you like internal routing for your droppah or not? (Singlespeeders please read)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do you like internal routing for your droppah or not? (Singlespeeders please read

I have a Fox Transfer at the Elite level set up externally. It rocks. Running the cable(s) on the bottom of the top tube makes for pretty clean lines. If you were to run all cables internally I can see how that would make a really clean looking bike but if you run one cable internally I dont see an asethetic reason to do so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do you like internal routing for your droppah or not? (Singlespeeders please read

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    I have a full season on [URL="https://www.flickr.com/photos/44bikes/42639908840/in/dateposted-public/"]
    play at the head of the post
    Thomson?
    That's the main problem with the one on my wife's Thomson, quite a lot of play

Personally, what the "pros" run doesn't inform me how my own mountain bike is set up. The trails I ride provides that.
    What.........you don't do 18 mile loops with wheel changes and then the bike gets tuned by a professional mechanic every ride and you don't have to pay for parts that fail ??
    - Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 11-28-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Play in the head is something I’ve never noticed riding

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the actress said to the bishop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    That's the main problem with the one on my wife's Thomson, quite a lot of play
    If it's a millimeter of play side to side in total, I'd be surprised. Like I said, I have not noticed it while riding, it's more something I've noted in the stand not riding the bike. However, I would put money down that I'm actually standing on my pedals for about 95% of the ride. Always have, always will. Sitting in the saddle is for long climbs and the ride to and from the trail head. My dropper is slammed during the 95% too. I'm a complete convert and I never thought I would be. I can ride without one but why would I want to do that when I can go so much faster and have so much more room to throw the bike around with a Dropper?

What.........you don't do 18 mile loops with wheel changes and then the bike gets tuned by a professional mechanic every ride and you don't have to pay for parts that fail ??
    - Garro.
    HA! No. I ride 15-25 mile loops that begin and end at my back door without wheel changes. I have to pay when parts fail and I do all my own wrenching. And I build the bike too...
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Editors Note: In my experience, internal/external work equally well. This internal vs external thing (IMO) boils down to aesthetics.
    This is half-true. Take the RS Reverb and Specialized Command Post for examples - both examples that qualify as venerable. When RS made the Reverb Stealth, they took the reorientation of the actuator as an opportunity to revise the post guts. The Stealth posts are MUCH easier to service.* This is to say, the two flavours of Reverb are not simply reversed in their architecture; in principle perhaps they still work along the same lines, but in practice they are quite different internally.

The Command Post was also redesigned in practice (again, not really in principle) when it was changed from external to internal. The new ones gained more reliable guts, because the fragile part was fixed in place, rather than moving with the upper portion of the dropper. But the biggest change in reliability this revealed was in the cable and housing: perhaps because it became so much easier to identify problems in the cable and housing, they became much more apparent. I've found this to be true on most cable-actuated posts: hiding half the source of contamination in a Bowden-cable system and tucking most of the housing in the frame, safely away from kinks, has resulted in systems that are MUCH more reliable, and cables and housing that need to be replaced much less frequently. The actuator on the seatpost-end of the Command Post was never really a source of contamination or problems, but hiding it inside the frame didn't hurt either. I've found all of these things to be true of the Giant post too, which is among the cheapest and most reliable posts out there, and has provided another example of a post that has shifted from primarily externally routed to almost exclusively internal.

There's a whole lot of different options for posts, but I think the OP (and anyone else) would be doing him or herself a serious disservice in designing a frame around an externally-routed dropper post. Do it right the first time, if for no other reason than because it's one less cable marring up your fancy paint. If you're concerned about the infrequency difficulty of fishing it through the frame, just run it out the seattube and piggyback it on the hose guides for your brake (or, if applicable, rear derailleur)...because brakes and derailleurs should be full housing and downtube-routed anyway.

*Everyone likes to bitch about how "unreliable" Reverbs are. From someone who has seen and serviced most - if not all - common dropper posts (and I would steer well clear of the boutique-y ones), take it from me that this is somewhat overblown, possibly due simply to the size of the sample. Yes, the Reverb is a great example of how our seatposts have become among the most unreliable parts of our bikes. However, the frequency of service that some Reverbs require is moot in this question. And in any case, I can service a Reverb with roughly $30 worth of tools, as compared to roughly $800 worth for the Fox Transfer - and those tools will likely be obsolete when the next-generation Fox post lands; moreover, the Reverb has a two-year warranty and basically unenforced service window, while the Fox a tightly-enforced one-year warranty and service window. (Most of the bitching seems to come from shops who can't be bothered to learn to service a Reverb; I'm efficient enough to make a decent margin on these services, and the parts are well-distributed with several as-needed options at a reliable margin. I think a technically-savvy end user could learn to service his own Reverb, although it gets much easier with a lot of practice.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

...Can I point this out?

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    "I think the OP (and anyone else) would be doing him or herself a serious disservice in designing a frame around an externally-routed dropper post. Do it right the first time, if for no other reason than because it's one less cable marring up your fancy paint."
    Which, if I take your comments, basically circles right back to my original comment: This internal vs external thing (IMO) boils down to aesthetics. (No snark intended)

To the OP's original question whether "Do non-stealth posts work any less amazeballs?" which was tangled with aesthetics and cable routing: It depends on the dropper. The two most reliable external droppers, in my experience, are Thomson and Fox. Fox provides the cleanest external route that I am aware of where Thomson's line runs up the back of the length of the post.
    Last edited by fortyfour; 11-29-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: speller

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's a millimeter of play side to side in total, I'd be surprised.

I do all my own wrenching.

And I build the bike too...
    I bet it has 3mm + per side?

Enough to rattle

But I do all the wrenching.........and she isn't complaining........so I go back to building bikes..........

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I bet it has 3mm + per side?

- Garro.
    If it's 3mm+ I'd be surprised.

The only thing I've noticed that actually slows either my Fox or my 9point8 down has been the recent cold weather. I rode on Thanksgiving day down in Pa (I think the high was 27-30°) and my 9point8 was definitely a bit sluggish on the return than in more moderate and normal temps. I had the entire local trail system to myself just like old times. Nobody was outside. And I rode the trailhead too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My question was kind of a morass, but boils down to: what is truly the cleanest set up, and do the two kinds work any differently such that function would win over form?

Which id add has been addressed beautifully and is a good discussion for those of us who drink the droppah draft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's 3mm+ I'd be surprised.

Surprise !!!
    I just measured it at 4mm

Damn!

Tried to post a video but it's beyond me = it IS on a one-speed.......
    - Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 11-29-2018 at 02:19 PM.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here it is......I need to take it off the one speed it appears - good thing it's just external........

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do yourself a service and buy the cheapest droppers you can find, mainly the TransX/BrandX ones. They are available externally or internally routed, work beautifully, are reliable and don't develop tons of play like those +300$ seatpost do. And guess what, the external routing is perfect, won't damage your pretty frame and protect the cable from the elements :

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except for the development of some slippage much later in the game I have had great luck with my BX Ascend post. Internally routed and hella reliable. Running it almost two years now and it's killer. 150 greenbacks shipped to your door.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have one of those BX seatposts pictured above for sale. 31.8mm dia, 400mm long, 125mm drop, external routing. I used it on 4-5 rides, basically brand new. I am about to buy a new frame that will take a 30.9 seatpost. Willing to sell the BX for $115 or sell for $$ + a 30.9mm seatpost trade.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX
    A Thorn in Your Sidewall