Thread: Confession: I don't ride with spandex any more.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Confession: I don't ride with spandex any more.

So about 4 years ago I stopped wearing spandex fat biking.

About 2 years ago I skipped the spandex on the mountain bike on some rides.

About 1 year ago I stopped wearing spandex all together.

No complaints, no issues on the taint.

Anyone else going diaperless?

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Confession: I don't ride with spandex any more.

Curious, do you wear something like boxer briefs or just briefs to keep the boys in place? I wear baggy shorts and jersey for comfort and all, but still have a chamois liner under the shorts. Part of my decision was practical because most of my spandex is kind of pricey, and my skills on a mountain bike are evolving (kind way of saying I don't fall quite as much as I did when I first started two years ago), and the baggy stuff doesn't seem to get roughed up as much when I inevitably eat it; also I am more comfortable in baggy stuff while mountain biking.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all spandex all the time. I don't see any downsides to spandex other than the obvious fact that it's super dorky looking, but I don't care what I look like while riding my bike.

It's hot and humid here, I don't want to wear any more layers than necessary.

I think you can get a lot more comfort for your dollar from a pair of bibs vs baggies.

I don't care what other folks wear though, so long as I don't see their ass crack.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

ride naked atmo

Post Thanks / Like

I mix it up between not-so-baggy baggies and full spandex. I mostly use a few of my choice bibs which are too short underneath some pretty standard chino shorts.

Definitely spandex only for when it's hot though - no point in unnecessary layers.

Post Thanks / Like

I get it that Spandex isn't cool, and baggies are more socially acceptable, but never understood baggies on a mtb beyond the style factor.

When I am riding my mtb, I am all over the bike, leaning it this way and that, in front of the saddle, behind the saddle. Why would I won't clothes that are baggy to snag the saddle or be bunched up when I do sit back down.

And then the heat, the first thing I notice when I have tried baggies is that they are hotter than any spandex I own.

Just seems all fashion, no function. And I am functional type of guy.

Post Thanks / Like

It's weather dependent for me and I always have a pair of bibs under my baggies. I need padding between me, the boys and the saddle on long rides... But if it's really hot and humid, I'm wearing only bib/top. Most days I'm running a nice light set of baggies with a jersey and then bibs under everything.

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
    When I am riding my mtb, I am all over the bike, leaning it this way and that, in front of the saddle, behind the saddle. Why would I won't clothes that are baggy to snag the saddle or be bunched up when I do sit back down.
    I hear this. I was having some issues snagging my saddle with certain baggies until I discovered 7Mesh.. Their patterning is something else. They really took some time with the garments and the fit. It's exceptional. Their Glidepath shorts are super light weight and breathable and shed water/moisture well. I own 2 pairs in addition to their fall/wintery Recon short which is waterproof.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    Curious, do you wear something like boxer briefs or just briefs to keep the boys in place?
    I rock Patagonia capilene drawls.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I have not had a proper kit on in prob 18 years. Cotton work shirts and baggies. Granted I do run an inner short. best piece of cycling gear I have is a hand me down v neck woll sweater from my father in law.
    Trent Knight, riding since the 83 Coors Classic warped me.

Post Thanks / Like

Bibs under baggies, unless it's really hot and then it's tight and bright. It's purely tactile, but I definitely feel a little more crash-ready with a pair of jean shorts or MTB baggies on. Whatever, as long as you ride. Just don't catch a ball between you and the seat.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't worn spandex in several years. Aside from my shoes (Sidi) you wouldn't know I was gearing up to ride. I generally go with Swrve lightweight regular shorts w/a padded liner (Kitsbow is what I've been sporting for the past few years), some running jersey I have hanging around (I have both long and short depending on the weather) and if it's a bit more chilly, a lovely Kitsbow long sleeve all-mountain jersey or a a heavyweight fleece.

Post Thanks / Like

in spirit of confession, I occasionally go gloveless. I only wear road gloves in winter when it's time for long fingers and insulation, and it's a special feeling on MTB too. I'm extra conservative with close trees, but yeah. No regerts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    in spirit of confession, I occasionally go gloveless. I only wear road gloves in winter when it's time for long fingers and insulation, and it's a special feeling on MTB too. I'm extra conservative with close trees, but yeah. No regerts.
    I'm gloveless on road/gravel in the warm months, but I'm a full-finger-full-time guy on my MTB. I don't like how fingerless gloves feel, and I move my hands around so much I get blisters with no gloves. I like simple, non-padded, light weight gloves. Actually, I need to order myself another pair 'cause I lost my old ones (which were several years old and about worn out anyhow).
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Bibs on the road, and mountain. Baggies are just not comfortable for me. In florida its always 90%+ humidity so the less the better. Plus i find the loose fitting stuff on the MTB get snagged on almost anything that's out on the trail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I'm gloveless on road/gravel in the warm months, but I'm a full-finger-full-time guy on my MTB. I don't like how fingerless gloves feel, and I move my hands around so much I get blisters with no gloves. I like simple, non-padded, light weight gloves. Actually, I need to order myself another pair 'cause I lost my old ones (which were several years old and about worn out anyhow).
    Gloveless all the time for road and cx but full fingers for MTB and Fatbike. No baggies here only bibs. Hate when the shorts get caught on the nose of my saddle!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NFazzio View Post
    Bibs on the road, and mountain. Baggies are just not comfortable for me. In florida its always 90%+ humidity so the less the better. Plus i find the loose fitting stuff on the MTB get snagged on almost anything that's out on the trail.
    That's how I feel. It's always so humid here that anything other than bibs feels hot. Even when I go to work.

Post Thanks / Like

I pulled on the spandex last week for the first time this year. Have been doing all my riding in casual shorts etc. It felt kinda nice to get all streamlined and get on my road bike and go faster than I normally would.

As for gloves: I'd stopped wearing them for commuting/shopping etc cos it feels nice. Then about a year ago I was riding home from dropping the car off for a service and hit a patch of loose small marbley gravel on an off-camber corner and went down hard and fast. It was a pretty low-speed crash, but I ended up with severe grazing all down my left side (not a big deal really) and a decent gouge out of the palm of my left hand. The hole was full of gravel and dirt and needed proper irrigation at the ER and 8 stitches to close it up. Then many weeks of not riding while my hand healed. It was shit.
    tl:dr - I wear gloves on EVERY ride now (except for the 2-block crawl to the supermarket).