Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Component questions for new 29er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Component questions for new 29er

Thinking about a new mtb build for the first time in 15+ years, and had some questions about modern components for a 130/120 29er.

What brand and model 29x2.35ish tires do you like for non-extreme conditions? Mostly steep fire roads, with some roots and rocks. Assume a ~30mm internal width rim. Seems common to run different tires front and rear, but I haven’t figured out the typical combos…e.g., which other Maxxis pair well with a Forekaster?

For the terrain above, are there any benefits to more stopping power than XT 2-pistons with 180mm rotors? If so, would you bump up rotor size or go to 4-pistons?

Stems and bars…lots of brands I know nothing about…Renthal, Deity, I9, and others. Others are familiar like Paul, Thompson, RaceFace. Which are worth considering over others?

Thanks!
    Steven Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Component questions for new 29er

First, for tires, I would ask how do you ride? Do you plow into things, do drops, go full speed into a rock garden? If so I would recommend a tire with a heavier casing even if they aren't extreme conditions. I love my Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR combo, but they are on the heavier and more aggressive side; that said, I haven't gotten a flat (knock on wood) when my friend with a "trail" tire had 5 in a single ride (yes I know it is a single point of data but we were riding the same stuff and his tires seemed to be made of kleenex). Vittoria Morsa, Martello, and Mota are also options that I have had good luck with.

There isn't much weight difference between a 2 and 4 piston brake so given the option, I will pretty much always go 4 since I have found the 4 piston brakes to be better able to modulate and still be capable of "oh crap" braking.

IMO, stems and bars is really all your preference both in terms of feel and aesthetics. I don't find big enough differences between them to care much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    First, for tires, I would ask how do you ride? Do you plow into things, do drops, go full speed into a rock garden?
    Thanks...I stay firmly on the ground, no drops, no air, no sending it...and 75% of the trails I can ride to from home can be done on a gravel bike. Not plushly, but done. The other trails are rougher but not brutal. This is partly why I was looking at 2.35 tires instead 2.6. Also because if I ride from home, I'm on the pavement for 3-5 miles to get to the dirt.
    Steven Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maxxis Ardent or WTB Trail Boss should work unless the trails is supper aggro.

I would go 4 piston with 180mm rotors unless you're bombing some serious hills/mountains or a really big guy. Love the 4 piston XTR's and my friends with 4 piston XT's can't say enough good about them either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTB tires are great. Make sure to get a dropper. I have a Fox and it's good, but I have had a cheapie one too and it was also good. I like ti bars for longevity. I bought them secondhand. S RAM parts are common but don't agree with my thumbs... I am a Shimano guy anyway. Get an XT M8000 group and forget about anything else. You will love it.

What frame?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My advice: Don't overthink this.

Tires: I ride my MTB quite a bit. for fire roads it really doesn't matter much beyond the tread, IMO. Maxxis are nice because they have tough sidewalls and are otherwise good also. if you are figuring out what you like, the Bontrager XR series (1 - 5; 1 increasing tread pattern with higher number) is super solid at a good price. Highly recommend. Tubeless all the way! get some plugs and sm]ome CO2.

You will have a hard time distinguishing the 'good' from the 'excellent' if it's been this long. Things are so different in the MTB world compared to 15 years ago. I'd think about the grips, saddle and pedals. Stem and bars (beyond width) don't really matter, IMO.

Unless you're bombing down those fire roads, stock XT will be completely fine. I've had SLX brakes and they slow me down nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

SLX is some rock-solid shit. If you're going to go single ring up front, the 11-46 out back is your huckleberry. Solid, solid value option.

My favorite MTB component of late is Answer 20/20 bars. They're really kind to my old-ass wrists and multiple-dislocated-and-once-broken shoulders. Plus it just feels right to have your elbows tucked in while laying down the funky music.

Stems don't matter, just get the right length.

+1 on the Bontrager tires, another value proposition. I have a pair of XR3's that I just can't kill.
    Tee Aitch

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a dumbass who's bought two new MTB's this year, I second everything above.
    Shimano- SLX and above is more than enough.
    Tubeless
    Dropper
    I don't push my brakes to the limit enough to comment, but I think both my bikes have 2-cyl pistons and 180mm up front, at 175lbs.

Wide bars are good, until they're not. Start wide and chop as needed for your terrain. I'm going to do exactly this with the 780 that came on my Chameleon.

I am a huge fan of Fizik Tundra saddles, FWIW. Coming from a diehards Antares rider on my road bikes.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all. Thinking about a Ripley as a big Five Oh gift to myself.
    Steven Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do it! I got the wife one this year and it is awesome. Not cheap, but awesome.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    Do it! I got the wife one this year and it is awesome. Not cheap, but awesome.
    Very tempted! Just overthinking the components and resulting price tag.
    Steven Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy the base model and replace stuff as you break it.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay,I’d only read the Ripmo comment and was all hung ho...if you’re 15 years removed from what is “current” then anything is going to be revolutionary.

Your first 5-20 rides will feel ridiculous. You’ll think the ride is too plush and the bars too wide...then it will click.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't need 4-piston brakes and 180's unless you are going to run the tires that go with them = big knobs, aggressive tread - think about it..........fast race-y tires, run 2-piston and 160's.

All modern cockpit options are good, really.

Hard to go wrong with a known name like Raceface

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    For the cockpit yes. For other parts like carbon cranks (which are really Easton), one should stay away from them.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll only add that I love the buy base and then replace philosophy. It's fun to try new stuff as you go.

My browser auto corrected "stuff" to "drug" which seems a little more risky than mtb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    You don't need 4-piston brakes and 180's unless you are going to run the tires that go with them = big knobs, aggressive tread - think about it..........fast race-y tires, run 2-piston and 160's.

All modern cockpit options are good, really.

- Garro.
    Fact. A guy in Flagstaff made my MTB, it is a 29 hardtail with a Fox 34 fork with 2.5" WTB Vigilante tires. I had to buy a Kuat NV 2.0 rack because of the 47" wheelbase. It has XT 8000 parts with two piston calipers with 180/160 discs. I'm a fatass but I'm totally confident in my ability to stop. I'm also a little old school and can lock up the rear wheel on some loose stuff to push the back end around when it gets steep. I never really thought about modulation, I mostly try to keep my fingers off the brake levers. The rough stuff is sometimes better at high speed, no time to overthink. And get a dropper, it makes descending through rock gardens so much more fun.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh, I think base and replace makes sense on store-bought bikes, but if you are to the point where you are thinking about component choice anyway, I like acquiring a frame and building it up piecemeal. Good MTB parts actually last a long, long time in the grand scheme of things - if you happen into some or other frame or get a custom, then I like "buy nice or buy it twice." I have cracked every MTB frame I've ever owned, but, sticking to the known suspects in parts, Thomson, Paul, Shimano, etc. I can't think of a single part I've actually had to replace due to failure. Aaaand, I kinda suck at MTB and crash plenty.
    Last edited by zambenini; 6 Days Ago at 02:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    carbon cranks
    I have never spec'ed a set of carbon cranks for a client.

I've put ones on that they provided.......

- Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 6 Days Ago at 04:01 PM.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run 2.6 forekasters f/r on my Ripley v4

But I like to get rowdy...for what u describe I might go nobby nics

Forekasters are for more mucky conditions

Enve is spendy but the do make nice stem and bars

Are u building it up custom?? The packages from Ibis seem to be pretty good value

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast