Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Component questions for new 29er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Component questions for new 29er

You couldn't go wrong on a Ripley with an XT kit. I love my Ripley. It's not a huge price jump to upgrade to a factory fork and shock. About the only thing I'd change on their XT build would be the headset because I hate Cane Creek headsets. But that's just me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know about the Forekasters. I really should talk with locals to see what they're running...something lighter and faster should in theory work for most trails here. As for 2 vs 4 piston brakes, it sounds like the latter are overkill for most of the riding I have in mind.

Ibis stock packages do seem good...but one of my local shops with decent customer service is also big Interweb retailer with a pretty sharp pencil, and for the same $ as stock, I can make a few upgrades and personalized choices. I guess this is what drove my original question about tires, brakes, cockpit...if I'm going to drop 6-7 on a complete bike, which I'll likely end up riding for 10+ years like all my others, why not tweak the stock parts a bit? I just need a bit of guidance on what's worth tweaking. Appreciate the ideas shared here!
    Steven Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_7075.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Fact. A guy in Flagstaff made my MTB, it is a 29 hardtail with a Fox 34 fork with 2.5" WTB Vigilante tires. I had to buy a Kuat NV 2.0 rack because of the 47" wheelbase. It has XT 8000 parts with two piston calipers with 180/160 discs. I'm a fatass but I'm totally confident in my ability to stop. I'm also a little old school and can lock up the rear wheel on some loose stuff to push the back end around when it gets steep. I never really thought about modulation, I mostly try to keep my fingers off the brake levers. The rough stuff is sometimes better at high speed, no time to overthink. And get a dropper, it makes descending through rock gardens so much more fun.
    Anyone who ever met you would realize the BB moniker is not in jest !!!!

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Nice looking bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m going to be contrarian here...

You should rent a few bikes and ride them to find what you want. Most of the shops around here have rentals with all different levels/brands of components.

For the riding you described, the Ripley would be plenty of bike...

All of the modern bikes are really, really good. Hard to go wrong. Buy whatever your local shop sells so you can get a warranty and service after sale.

FWIW - I don’t understand why some folks are so against carbon cranks. I see more issues with aluminum cranks. Some people in the road world are freaking out about the newer Ultegra and DA stuff. All of the broken carbon cranks I’ve seen broken have been big dudes on big flat pedals riding big stuff with big hits. The only ones around I know of that seem completely bombproof are the eeWings. Big $.

New SRAM brakes are very very good. I was a die hard Shimano guy until the xt m8000’s came out. Something has changed in the way their pullback seals work, and it seems to cause a varying bite point when the brakes get really cookin’. They don’t do anything catastrophic, but it’s annoying. Both the 2p and the 4p version do it (I have both). My latest brappy bike has SRAM Codes (and 200mm rotors F+R). They’re phenomenal. Consistent bite, great power. I do miss the feel of the Shimano’s - but they have probably lost me, at least for now. Anyway, back to my original point - SRAM and Shimano brakes feel very different. You should try to ride a couple bikes with either on them.

A dropper post is going to be a whole new world if you haven’t ridden one.

For tires... I like DHR2 rear/DHF front on the big bikes. Nobby Nic front and rear for more XC type stuff.
    Drew Kessler
    Statesville, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is wrong with race face carbon cranks ? Mine have been trouble free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    What is wrong with race face carbon cranks ? Mine have been trouble free.
    people break the pedal insert out constantly

we warranty a scary amount of them

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    people break the pedal insert out constantly

we warranty a scary amount of them
    Hum, good to know. I guess I have been lucky or do not ride enough or both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A mate of mine ran through 3 of them within the 2y warranty period, including replacement versions that were supposed solve the issue and I heard similar experience from 3 different LBS.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting my 2c in for non-shimano brakes.
    Sram G2ís work, and work all the time. I havenít ridden a (non XTR Race) shimano brake in yearrrrs that doesnít have a wandering/phantom bite point.

Guides or G2ís on the little bikes and TRPís with 2.2mm thick rotors on the go fast bike and trials bike.

In the Maxxis camp the Rekon 2.4 /Rekon Race 2.2 combo is pretty excellent for oldschool xc-style hardpack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    Putting my 2c in for non-shimano brakes.
    Sram G2’s work, and work all the time. I haven’t ridden a (non XTR Race) shimano brake in yearrrrs that doesn’t have a wandering/phantom bite point.

Guides or G2’s on the little bikes and TRP’s with 2.2mm thick rotors on the go fast bike and trials bike.

In the Maxxis camp the Rekon 2.4 /Rekon Race 2.2 combo is pretty excellent for oldschool xc-style hardpack.
    I'll second the reco for sram. I've had Italian and Japanese brakes...my good ol American brakes have been the most trouble free...running g2 ultimates on my rip

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mickey, et al, good to know... I am also curious if any of the brakes from the non-big three manufacturers are worth considering. Magura? Who else? Thing is, XTs are real good and do not seem that pricey, I e. Always on discount from somewhere. I doubtless don't ride downhill as hard as y'all so I don't know if I would notice, but yeah. What else is there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new shimano brakes seem to be better with the removal of servowave. I haven't ridden them in very cold/hot temperatures to see how that changes things.

I can say the code rsc's on my new bike are really, really good, and I will happily use them versus swapping to a shimano brake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My XTR brakes have a wandering bite point too. I really like the Magura on the Seven. This is the way I would go for a new build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Mickey, et al, good to know... I am also curious if any of the brakes from the non-big three manufacturers are worth considering. Magura? Who else? Thing is, XTs are real good and do not seem that pricey, I e. Always on discount from somewhere. I doubtless don't ride downhill as hard as y'all so I don't know if I would notice, but yeah. What else is there?
    Itís hard for me to justify buying anything except new take-off sram brakes. There are still lots of people who seem to think Guides ďsuckĒ, so itís easy enough to pick up basically brand new brakes for less than $200 for a set. Hard to beat that!

The ďbleeding edgeĒ quick connect bleed ports on the current generation SRAM stuff are just so dang fun to use.

I wouldnít pick up Magura stuff because besides being pretty dang expensive, I travel way too much. Outside of an extremely small number of shops, Iíve never seen a pair of magura pads, or magura blood, lines, or magura fittings kicking around. Heck, I bet more shops have service parts for Magura HS rim brakes than current generation discs.
    The reason I love sram and TRP stuff is that itís reliable and spares are universally available. TRP brakes can use shimano pads, fluids, fittings, bleed kits.

Among mineral oil based systems itís pretty common for GEEKS to mix and match brands of master cylinders and calipers to get just the feel they are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Mickey, et al, good to know... I am also curious if any of the brakes from the non-big three manufacturers are worth considering. Magura? Who else?

I wouldn’t pick up Magura stuff because besides being pretty dang expensive, I travel way too much. Outside of an extremely small number of shops, I’ve never seen a pair of magura pads, or magura blood, lines, or magura fittings kicking around. Heck, I bet more shops have service parts for Magura HS rim brakes than current generation discs.
    The reason I love sram and TRP stuff is that it’s reliable and spares are universally available. TRP brakes can use shimano pads, fluids, fittings, bleed kits.

We are living in a world were parts are just a few clicks away from you no ?

I own formula cura 4 brakes. I never used brakes that powerful. There is not a single shop in my area selling formula parts. I just order pads online, always keep a pair of spare and bought the bleed kit. It is not that hard to go a wee bit exotic as long as you make sure you have pads in stock at all time. In my experience (only on test bikes though), magura brakes have one of the best modulation available.

That said I have read good things of the latest TRP brakes. Hope brakes are also an option, it seems they are have a good reputation.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    We are living in a world were parts are just a few clicks away from you no ?
    I have to cram my entire life into a Honda Fit(including a bike or two and room to sleep) for weeks at a time. There is no room for an(expensive) tackle box full of spare lines, fittings, master cylinders etc. I have room(and budget)for the right bleed kits, a few spare olives and a tub of DOT grease and thatís about it.

From March to September Iím in a different backwoods locale every 3 days making MTB races happen. If people arenít racing parts, and resorts donít have spares for their rental fleets, it does me no good. When I invariably crash and smash something, I need to be able to get my bike running again immediately, otherwise I donít get to fit riding into the tiny window I have before itís time to get on the microphone for the rest of the weekend.
    In 2020 racers are using SRAM and TRP(which is mostly compatible with Shimano) stuff almost exclusively. Resort rental fleets are almost completely SRAM.
    Two bleed kits and 3 different brake pad skus are all I need to keep my bike, or the bike of almost anyone in the parking lot of any XC or DH race running well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to cram my entire life into a Honda Fit(including a bike or two and room to sleep) for weeks at a time. There is no room for an(expensive) tackle box full of spare lines, fittings, master cylinders etc. I have room(and budget)for the right bleed kits, a few spare olives and a tub of DOT grease and that’s about it.

From March to September I’m in a different backwoods locale every 3 days making MTB races happen. If people aren’t racing parts, and resorts don’t have spares for their rental fleets, it does me no good. When I invariably crash and smash something, I need to be able to get my bike running again immediately, otherwise I don’t get to fit riding into the tiny window I have before it’s time to get on the microphone for the rest of the weekend.
    In 2020 racers are using SRAM and TRP(which is mostly compatible with Shimano) stuff almost exclusively. Resort rental fleets are almost completely SRAM.
    Two bleed kits and 3 different brake pad skus are all I need to keep my bike, or the bike of almost anyone in the parking lot of any XC or DH race running well.
    I hear you but most people don't have that kind of requirement thoughts. I never had to replace any new housing, fitting or master cylinder in my whole MTB life.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I hear you but most people don't have that kind of requirement thoughts. I never had to replace any new housing, fitting or master cylinder in my whole MTB life.
    Try crashing harder and more often!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Try crashing harder and more often!
    Kind of a goal of mine once my knee is rehabbed. Not joking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast