User Tag List

Thread: Brake shootout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Brake shootout

Been running Shimano XT M8000 and I like two days ago reverted to geared from single speed so I am probably stuck with ispec ii, but I got an emergency bleed at a shop near my in-laws after the rear went completely dead at 3000', and when they bled it for me, the fluid was dirty, so I guess it's a matter of time.

Anything worth the time other than Shimano hydro? Magura? Mostly XC riding.

Brake shootout, ready, steady go. What's going on in stopping world?
    Last edited by zambenini; 11-28-2020 at 03:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Brake shootout

I dig my SRAM Guide calipers with RSC levers, and G2 calipers with RSC levers. Some folks really love the way SRAM levers feel (I’m one) other hate them. Very much a personal thing, IMO. The SRAM is much more progressive and allows very fine control via feathering the brakes, but grab HARD at the end of the stroke with one finger braking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's great feedback. I wasn't born with Sram compatible thumbs for shifting, but after years running SS, I do t think I was born with Shimano thumbs either. Not opposed to SRAM brakes at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    That's great feedback. I wasn't born with Sram compatible thumbs for shifting, but after years running SS, I do t think I was born with Shimano thumbs either. Not opposed to SRAM brakes at all.
    I much prefer the RSC levers to the RS. With the RSC you can also adjust the contact point, in addition to the lever throw. I set mine up so the contact almost immediately. So they touch at the slightly movement of the lever, but since they are so progressive they don't "grab". Makes trail braking much easier. Much like how I setup my Brembo RSC master cylinder on my track motorcycle. But, I'm also one of those guys that puts the front brake on the right on MTB. Too many years riding moto and too much muscle memory/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't consider myself overly picky with brakes. I really enjoy the feel of Avids and it takes some adjusting for me when switching to a Shimano bike. It's doable though after a few stops, similar to switching from a SRAM road bike to Shimano road bike.

I recently put a pair of Magura brakes on my bike and they stop the bike without fuss. Can't complain about them.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shimano isnít making master cylinders worth owning at the moment and doesnít sell parts to rebuild calipers any more either- and their supply chain is so backed up that it will be 2022 until much Shimano stuff is actually available.

If you like mineral oil AND reliability any TRP brake or a TRP master cylinder on a Magura caliper will be your friend. Most people I know who run magura brakes run them with Shimano master cylinders they had laying around after their Shimano calipers started leaking and their magura master cylinders broke in crashes...

Great thing about the TRP product is that their pads are the same form factor as Shimano pads so there is a whole world of pads out there to choose from- and itís REAL hard to find Shimano/trp fit pads at the moment.

In the DOT world:
    Iíve had nothing but great experiences on SRAM brake product since 2018- itís super easy to get rock solid bleeds, and itís also easier to find compatible parts at the moment, in my experience. Public perception of Sram brake product is still clouded by some embarrassing production issues from the elixir and early Guide series brakes- which is a great thing if you want to shop for brand new take off brakes at a big discount on the internet.

The current king of power, feel, and reliability is currently Hayes. The Dominion series brakes have the best lever ergonomics for my small hands(and a lever option for even smaller hands!), a great bleed process (separate bleed valve for each side of the caliper!) and the right MC piston to caliper piston ratios to roll on immense amounts of controllable power no matter which rotor size you choose. For the OP a Dominion A2 setup would be hard to beat.

And as far as ispec- I know TRP and Hayes both have ispec adapters for their levers, I think Magura might as well...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently switched from Shimano to TRP. I think my M-675 SLX brakes were over 7 years old and I bought them as nearly-new takeoffs for $100, so I got my money worth out of them. they kept going soft after every bleed and I concluded that I could revive them by replacing the master cylinder and some other vital seals. then I realized that Shimano does not make any of these parts available as after-market items, which kind of pissed me off. disassembling the levers and calipers is not difficult (I did it because I was about to count the brakes as a loss anyway) and it would not kill them to make a few o-rings available to consumers.

the Slate4 brakes are really nice. I can't say a whole lot more specific than that. they work with i-spec stuff and use Shimano-shaped pads available from several manufacturers.

If I could spend real money on nice brakes, I'd look at Hope. they seem really nicely made and are more rebuildable than most other manufacturers' offerings.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I can say is that I prefer my Magura MT8 compared to my XTR (previous 11s gen that do not have a great reputation I guess).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone run Hopes?

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Anyone run Hopes?

- Garro.
    No, but they look tempting to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone run Hopes?

- Garro.
    My friend runs them and likes them well enough. He hasn't had any issues with them or anything. Personally, I am using SRAM Codes, but would consider both TRP and Hopes if these ever die.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The formula cura brakes are really nice and powerful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree I have the cura 4 pistons and it feels I could pull my eyes out of my face from braking too hard.

Downside is they start to pick up grip very early in the lever's course which means you have to really have to feather the levers to modulate compared to the maguras or srams.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    My friend runs them and likes them well enough. He hasn't had any issues with them or anything. Personally, I am using SRAM Codes, but would consider both TRP and Hopes if these ever die.
    It's that I need to spec a whole one speed, and matching Hope stuff all around would look plenty sharp

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's that I need to spec a whole one speed, and matching Hope stuff all around would look plenty sharp

- Garro.
    I gave his brakes a quick go around on a nice downhill section yesterday. They felt nice both in terms of ergonomics and power (we both are running 4 piston brakes); I would say at least for how he has them set up they feel more like Shimano (i.e. bite early and bite hard) versus say SRAM or TRP. Looks like they have good adjustments as well for both reach and bite point. Our local shop does a fair amount of business with them so I see quite a few locals running them.