User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Beyond "Boost" = BB and rear axle spacing combos that work.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Posts
    9,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Beyond "Boost" = BB and rear axle spacing combos that work.

    Like the title says - what's the latest flavor in MTB's in let's say, "Plus" bikes, aka sub-fatbike sizes, optimum for tire sizes from 2.6" to 3.0" but sub 4.0" ???

    83 x 150?

    More?

    What's the best chainline?


    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Beyond "Boost" = BB and rear axle spacing combos that work.

    Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Like the title says - what's the latest flavor in MTB's in let's say, "Plus" bikes, aka sub-fatbike sizes, optimum for tire sizes from 2.6" to 3.0" but sub 4.0" ???

    83 x 150?

    More?

    What's the best chainline?


    - Garro.
    Pretty standard fare on most mountain bikes is still 73 x 148.

    Where 83 x 157 comes into play, IMO, is when you start getting into the 2.6-3.0" range. That just opens up so much more clearance and you still have lots of hub/crank/spindle options that still hit the mark on good chain lines for drivetrain performance.

    But, I really think "plus" sized tires are settling into the 2.6-2.8" range personally. 3.0" is just a bit too much tire, where 2.6-2.8's get you all that traction in a relatively light, durable package.

    4.0"+ tires? 100 x 177mm or 100 x 197mm The secret sauce on 197mm rears is to run a 170mm Race Face Cinch spindle kit for way better chain line and if tire clearance is still an issue, just spec a Boost offset ring, flip it and you can squeeze a lot more clearance out of that area with a relatively good chain line still. (I spend so much time on my fat bike in the larger cogs, having the chain line biased towards the center of the frame only enhances drivetrain performance for me.)

    As per chain lines, I reference Race Face's chain line PDF via their site.
    Last edited by fortyfour; 12-03-2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: speller
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Posts
    9,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Beyond "Boost" = BB and rear axle spacing combos that work.

    Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    Pretty standard fare on most mountain bikes is still 73 x 148.

    Where 83 x 157 comes into play, IMO, is when you start getting into the 2.6-3.0" range. That just opens up so much more clearance and you still have lots of hub/crank/spindle options that still hit the mark on good chain lines for drivetrain performance.

    But, I really think "plus" sized tires are settling into the 2.6-2.8" range personally. 3.0" is just a bit too much tire, where 2.6-2.8's get you all that traction in a relatively light, durable package.

    4.0"+ tires? 100 x 177mm or 100 x 197mm The secret sauce on 197mm rears is to run a 170mm Race Face Cinch spindle kit for way better chain line and if tire clearance is still an issue, just spec a Boost offset ring, flip it and you can squeeze a lot more clearance out of that area with a relatively good chain line still. (I spend so much time on my fat bike in the larger cogs, having the chain line biased towards the center of the frame only enhances drivetrain performance for me.)

    As per chain lines, I reference Race Face's chain line PDF via their site.

    Great beta!

    I'm setting the cutoff for my personal stuff at 120mm of travel and 3.0" tires........for now........

    Does Shimano only make an 83mm in Saint & Zee?

    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    victoria, bc
    Posts
    1,794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Beyond "Boost" = BB and rear axle spacing combos that work.

    Sam at naked bikes has been building like this for years, so it might be a good idea to drop him an email
     

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Beyond "Boost" = BB and rear axle spacing combos that work.

    Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Great beta!

    I'm setting the cutoff for my personal stuff at 120mm of travel and 3.0" tires........for now........

    Does Shimano only make an 83mm in Saint & Zee?

    - Garro.
    Just upped my personal rigs to 130mm travel. Couldn't be happier.

    RE Shimano: To my knowledge, yes only Saint and Zee offer 83mm compatible spindles/cranks.

    Having ridden both 3.0 and 2.8's, I think 2.8's are plenty of tire. I want to give a set of 2.6's a try too on my 27.5+ rig. That size on a wide-ish rim may be "just so". Although I'm pretty satisfied with my Maxxis Rekon 2.8's...
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Similar Threads

  1. Tubeless Combos that work: Revealing your best combos
    By Too Tall in forum VSalon Pro-Bicycle Tech
    Replies: 242
    Last Post: 11-09-2018, 09:48 AM
  2. Trek introduces a new axle "standard"
    By David Tollefson in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 10-11-2014, 02:09 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 10:17 PM
  4. why do fighters call running "road work"?
    By Badonkadonk in forum The OT
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-21-2014, 06:15 PM
  5. Sks: Race blade "long" fenders - they work well!
    By ultratoad in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-17-2012, 04:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •