Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 27.5 Full Sus

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Best 27.5 Full Sus

Pivot Mach 4. Retains XC characteristics, flickable, can run wider tires. What's your favorite?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Best 27.5 Full Sus

My friend Ann( Trailmaster Coaching and Physical Therapy ) rides a 27.5 Scott, she loves it and literally wrote the book on mountain biking Serious Mountain Biking: Ann Trombley: 73654995: Amazon.com: Books :)
    P8051088 by Joe, on Flickr

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Norco Sight carbon rides pretty nice. Handles nicely and can take the wider tires as well. I'm not sold on the 1x, yet, but that day will likely come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ibis Mojo 3. Best trail bike I've ever ridden. On every ride and every trail, it makes me a better rider. Yeti SB5 is a close second but not quite as plush.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive been happy with my Giant Anthem.
    So forgiving that you don't realise how fast you're going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 6Fattie. It's a hoot to ride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone been on the '17 Spark 7series plus bikes? Haven't they sorted their suspension enough yet to ditch that twin lock lever mess?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    Anyone been on the '17 Spark 7series plus bikes? Haven't they sorted their suspension enough yet to ditch that twin lock lever mess?
    later thought: or is it more of an on the fly adjust tool for terrain changes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Ibis Mojo 3. Best trail bike I've ever ridden. On every ride and every trail, it makes me a better rider. Yeti SB5 is a close second but not quite as plush.
    Have looked at a number of bikes and keep coming back to these two. Test riding appears to be a non-option here in Michigan : (
    Sizing info mixed as well.

Ibis looks like less complex sus for long-term maintenance. Like the ability to run wider tires.
    Yeti's rear sus gets plenty of love as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as someone who lives in the PNW has a yeti and has a bunch of ibis come through the shop the yeti blows teh ibis out of the water durability wise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    as someone who lives in the PNW has a yeti and has a bunch of ibis come through the shop the yeti blows teh ibis out of the water durability wise
    Thanks. Great to know. Getting any suspension serviced around here is very very hard and takes a long time.
    Almost bad enough that finding a non-boost HT that clears 2.5-2.6" 27.5 tires is the other shortlist option, would look at using a rim with 30-32 inner width.

Really prefer snappy and crisp riding bikes with a XC bent. Without riding the FS Ibis or Yeti, I'm nervous about committing that much $.
    Tire / wheel mass as well. Working on test rides of any form over the next couple of weeks.

BB height to minimize pedal strikes is also key. If I miss seeing things, the regular 29FS I'm on now = hit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    Thanks. Great to know. Getting any suspension serviced around here is very very hard and takes a long time.
    Almost bad enough that finding a non-boost HT that clears 2.5-2.6" 27.5 tires is the other shortlist option, would look at using a rim with 30-32 inner width.

Really prefer snappy and crisp riding bikes with a XC bent. Without riding the FS Ibis or Yeti, I'm nervous about committing that much $.
    Tire / wheel mass as well. Working on test rides of any form over the next couple of weeks.

BB height to minimize pedal strikes is also key. If I miss seeing things, the regular 29FS I'm on now = hit.
    I live on the Front Range and durability/maintenance on my Ibis has been a non-issue. Admittedly, it's quite dry here and I rarely ride in the wet. Lots of pals with Yetis (as they are local, more or less) and I haven't noticed any appreciable difference with durability/maintenance.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    I live on the Front Range and durability/maintenance on my Ibis has been a non-issue. Admittedly, it's quite dry here and I rarely ride in the wet. Lots of pals with Yetis (as they are local, more or less) and I haven't noticed any appreciable difference with durability/maintenance.
    Thanks! That could work here then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This won't help but I'll throw it out there - if any way possible absolutely ride different bikes before taking the plunge. You've had a lot of amazing bikes and probably a bit picky and high expectations for each new machine.

I just took delivery of a Pivot 429Trail set up 27.5+ Good rig but not what I expected (and so far not overly happy). In retrospect would have been well served to have ridden a few different offerings in 27.5+ to see how they sorted out before taking the plunge. First world problem and I'll get it sorted out. Worst case will ditch the 27.5+ and switch out to 29'ers. Just a couple rims and a few spokes. But kinda kicking myself, and sharing publicly here, for not doing better research and taking the time to demo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I just took delivery of a Pivot 429Trail set up 27.5+ Good rig but not what I expected (and so far not overly happy). .
    I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Pivot. I have a Turner Sultan that's do for replacement and the 429 trail is a contender.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    This won't help but I'll throw it out there - if any way possible absolutely ride different bikes before taking the plunge. You've had a lot of amazing bikes and probably a bit picky and high expectations for each new machine.

I just took delivery of a Pivot 429Trail set up 27.5+ Good rig but not what I expected (and so far not overly happy). In retrospect would have been well served to have ridden a few different offerings in 27.5+ to see how they sorted out before taking the plunge. First world problem and I'll get it sorted out. Worst case will ditch the 27.5+ and switch out to 29'ers. Just a couple rims and a few spokes. But kinda kicking myself, and sharing publicly here, for not doing better research and taking the time to demo.
    Good stuff. Hope you sort out a way to get it to a love it bike. Things I've looked at over past couple of months: 29+ like the Vassago Verhauen and Trek Stache, some 27.5+ hard tails, SC Chameleon, and the Ibis Mojo 3 and Yeti 5.

Some locals love the 29+, 27.5+, etc. Rode with a friend who was on a Bianchi Jab 27.Plus while I was on my 27.5 HT. I expected him to pull away in the twisty stuff due to the grip I keep hearing about. Not the case, I may have been pedaling more than him, but he didn't get away. The other rider I've chased on a 27.5+ probably could have pulled away on anything. The cornering / turning / maneuverability of his .5plus didn't impress me. Keep coming back to the Mojo. It can run 27.5 reg and plus on same setup. However whatever I end up on needs to ride like a XC race bike, not an early 29er where I'm having to push/muscle it through turns. Given that, maybe I should stick with what I'm riding. Like the mtbs I'm riding now. No in state demo options is challenging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone in CO tried the Spot Brand Mayhem(27.5+) or Rollik(27.5). Interesting design but I've not read too many reviews(the ones I have are positive) and it's hard to find a place to demo. Maybe I'll have to go down to Sea Otter to check them out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up an Intense Spider in the spring and have been very pleased. It's amazing how many good trail bikes there are out there right now that are as light as XC bike from just a few years ago, and flickable as more gravity oriented from the same timeframe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I demoed a Spider last night. I think the 275A. It was a lot of fun. Really quick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fwiw - I'm an intermediate mtn biker. Meaning my skills aren't crazy good but have been doing this since about 89. My main ride for years was a Sling Shot (so I know a thing or two about sketchy handling !!!!) Took a break for a decade then built a Strong Ti hardtail (26) and jumped to an Epic S-works 29er as first full suspension bike. I've really bonded with the Epic and feel it's dialed. This bike lives in Utah and I wanted something fun for riding back here in New Jersey.

My shop started selling Pivot and has been a great supporter and team sponsor so decided to try 27.5+ and a frame with a bit more travel. Figured the 429Trail gets good reviews, wasn't too expensive and if I didn't like 27.5+ could always put 29" wheels on it. Build is a 12 speed SRAM, Guide brakes w 180mm rotors, I9 hubs and Taiwan rims running Maxxis Ikon/Recon 27.5 x 2.8 rubber. Fox 34 front, standard Float rear, Rockshox dropper.

Set up the suspension and took it out for a couple hours shakedown on single track, slightly wet / slick trails with some rock gardens and a few bermed "bobsled" type sections. Nice trails, I know them reasonably well.

First thing I noticed about the bike was serious oversteer. Incredibly sensitive to steering input and there is a point where the front wheel just wants to turn over, or flop on itself. It was so twitchy I stopped and checked for loose / broken parts, etc etc. Really bad and unhappy ride characteristics. Second hour I started to adapt but still couldn't get the bike to behave. Was also getting a ton of pedal strikes on not particularly rugged sections. Just seemed odd to be so squirrely and having these pedal hits. By contrast, the Strong on these trails is just fine.

At first I blamed my lousy dirt skills and figured it was just me needing to learn a new bike. But I was bummed out because I'm not *that* bad a mtn bike rider and kept thinking something just isn't right. Joys of internet searching and found a Pivot 429 Trail thread where one poster had the exact same experience I did on the 429Trail. He noted that Pivot makes a 17mm bottom cup extender meant to correct the geometry for 27.5 vs 29 set ups. This cup raises the bottom bracket and slows the steering down. My shop didn't install the part but has it now and will install it. Am looking forward to trying the bike this weekend with the extender to see what happens. Will report back. But from what I'm reading, it seems like the 429 Trail is probably a better 29'er. Perhaps the name is a give away?

Admit I had great hopes for the big 27.5+ tires. I expected a ton more grip, nice consistent handling and good carve (or stoke as I think the kids call it). So far not even close.

BUT.... High hopes for trying the 27.5 again with the new cup. If that gets the geometry right for 27.5 this bike should be a lot of fun. If it still isn't living up to expectations then I expect going to 29 and running 2.2 - 2.3 tires will work and the 27.5+ experiment will be completed.

I'm waffling a bit here because the bike should be a lot better and it is new to me. But it was just so bad that if I had demoed it set up this way I'd have run away. But it gets great reviews, I like the build and am committed to trying to sort 27.5 set up before jumping to 29. My shop guys are great and ready to work through this. They learn too and better to work through this with a team guy and shop friend than with a "real" customer.

So, not perfectly helpful for any of you guys. I think the learnings to pass on are: 27.5+ not magic. Demo the rig as you plan to ride it if at all possible. Think about geo and if the bike is boost and can run 29, 29+ and 27.5+ that doesn't mean you can just slap a set of wheels on and get perfection. Do some extra reading and find the frame dialed for the set-up you are planning to run. All of that is obvious and demos not always possible but hope the thinking is useful to some folks looking at new bikes.

Will report back with more experience on the bike and as we change set up. Want to be clear I'm not slagging the bike just yet. We've got some things to try and some of this could very well be the rider (me). Just thought the experience might fit the thread and since I was very surprised by the handling characteristics would share.

-Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast