Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bar width

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bar width

Well, it all depends. When mtb first came out in Louisiana we cut our bars as short as we could allow. There wasn't a lot of climbing there, but were lots and lots of trees and vines really close to the edges of the trails. We used to laugh at the Colorado guys with their wide assed bars who could rip our legs off riding wise get yanked clean off their bikes while "just riding along" on some of our mouse hole trails. The bar end invention was just the worst thing for getting unhorsed. Riding along at 10 mph or so and having your bars get yanked out from under you often meant a close encounter with a tree was pending very soon. The best one was a trail with two trees around 22 inches apart. Even with skinny bars you had to show some skills to sneak your bike through that mouse hole. Those trees had scars as did many a rider who didn't quite sneak thru the hole so well.
    Now back in Montana with wide open trails I am totally back with the wide assed bars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Well, it all depends. When mtb first came out in Louisiana we cut our bars as short as we could allow. There wasn't a lot of climbing there, but were lots and lots of trees and vines really close to the edges of the trails. We used to laugh at the Colorado guys with their wide assed bars who could rip our legs off riding wise get yanked clean off their bikes while "just riding along" on some of our mouse hole trails. The bar end invention was just the worst thing for getting unhorsed. Riding along at 10 mph or so and having your bars get yanked out from under you often meant a close encounter with a tree was pending very soon. The best one was a trail with two trees around 22 inches apart. Even with skinny bars you had to show some skills to sneak your bike through that mouse hole. Those trees had scars as did many a rider who didn't quite sneak thru the hole so well.
    Now back in Montana with wide open trails I am totally back with the wide assed bars.
    Yep.

Out here it's nice to have a IMBA bike and a Rustic bike.

OTOH, my 1987 Ibis had 32" wide bars, LOL !!!!

I had to put a moto cross brace on when the chrome starting flaking off at the bends !!!

- Garro.

-
    Last edited by steve garro; 06-13-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mtb is 800 but I’m a lanky 6’5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm going to do the elbows behind the wrists setup today and cut the bars. They're still stock 800. They're also <$50 bars. I'm only 6'1" and don't feel like I'm fighting the bike at all on descents. I just let it flow and allow the fork to do it's thing while I shift my weight around. Garro builds a good bike.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I'm going to do the elbows behind the wrists setup today and cut the bars. They're still stock 800. They're also <$50 bars. I'm only 6'1" and don't feel like I'm fighting the bike at all on descents. I just let it flow and allow the fork to do it's thing while I shift my weight around. Garro builds a good bike.
    You've got a Coconino--do you even need to put your hands on the bars?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P.S. It took me a while to get used to 800ish bar width while demoing bikes. My former life bike was a Diamond Back Axis with the cut down bars and long stem. I now ride a Jones H Bar and find it easy to shift my hands around as needed. I am pretty wide pretty often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think one can compare old Mtb's with new ones.
    Starting from the move from 26" wheels to 29" it all changed, I'm not surprised the bars and stem lengths have changed accordingly.
    And as usual, it's a question of where and how you end up riding. Singletrack and mud Vs rock gardens and steep slopes. On the former, I won't be able to ride a bike with bars that are over 65cm, but that's me and I used 56cm bars (including the bar-ends) on a 26" XC bike. Every time I've tried a 29" with wide bars it just felt odd and cumbersome, maybe needs some time to re-adjust.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

760 felt better, plenty of width remains for the slow motion rocky climbs.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yesterday afternoon was the first real test of 760 versus 800. It sped up the handling of the bike so instead of descending like a bull in a china shop, the bike felt nimble and I was all over the trail changing my line constantly with nothing but a little input to the bars and shifting weight. 760 is as narrow as I'll go.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday afternoon was the first real test of 760 versus 800. It sped up the handling of the bike so instead of descending like a bull in a china shop, the bike felt nimble and I was all over the trail changing my line constantly with nothing but a little input to the bars and shifting weight. 760 is as narrow as I'll go.
    What length stem are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    What length stem are you using?
    90mm
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by big boom View Post
    I've gone back and forth between bar width and what I've found is for me the 740 is perfect for XC and 770 is great on my Enduro bike. This is all because of the steering input factor. I find the narrower bars are easier when you need to turn your handlebars which happens a lot more on my xc bike and the wider is better for stability when I'm using more body english because of the higher speed descents. Of course between between the reach (bb-center of stem not the geo chart reach) I'm about 1.5cm shorter on the enduro bike.
    I have hit a sweetspot of 740mm - I tried 780 and they just seemed weird. If you ride wide open, simple trails, then you could venture down to 680mm and a 100mm stem, but I wouldn't go any narrower. The key is to find that balance of having the shortest possible stem with the appropriate width of bar. I use an 80mm stem and a respected industry guy I 'know' said that the stem was too long in his opinion (though of course advised to ride whatever I feel comfortable with).

He works for a respected components manufacturer and said they no longer make stems longer than 60mm (so he gave me a great deal on my 80mm stem :)!! )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the 760mm bars I was using 50mm; now at 35mm. On a 160mm travel front end with HTA of 66 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    With the 760mm bars I was using 50mm; now at 35mm. On a 160mm travel front end with HTA of 66 degrees.
    I've got a 120 travel fork with a slack head angle, not sure of the exact angle, it's a custom bike. I got the 90mm stem because that's what Garro determined the geometry of the frame needed.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a 120 travel fork with a slack head angle, not sure of the exact angle, it's a custom bike. I got the 90mm stem because that's what Garro determined the geometry of the frame needed.
    You've definitely got the right one then!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12