User Tag List

Thread: Any issues with Shimano Micro Spline hubs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any issues with Shimano Micro Spline hubs?

I'm wondering if anyone has any issues to report with the new 12 speed Micro Spline hubs, specifically the ones produced by Shimano - SLX/XT, etc.. I know in the past, people bemoaned the lack of engagement points and possibly found the freehub fragile. And there are those who dislike the lack of sealed cartridge bearings. I'm not bothered so much about cup and cone bearings, as long as the sealing is good and there aren't any engineering or durability issues with them. The price is certainly appealing ($100 less per set than Hope for XT), and they're even just a touch lighter weight it seems. But if they're problematic in some way, well, that's hardly worthwhile. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any issues with Shimano Micro Spline hubs?

Seconded - I would also like to know if the internals on the micro spline hubs will hold up to high torque.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been going left and rights for years in term of transmission manufacturers. I think I will never buy again a hub from Shimano or Sram that do not have support for multiple freehub bodies again. Hope, DT Swiss and a few other brands allows you to use hyperglide, xd driver, microspline and even campagnolo freehub with the same hub and chance is that they may be ready to support campy ekar shortly and uodate their hubs for whatever idea sram or shimano gets in the near future.

So why would you stick to a proprietary non interchangeable system ?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I've been going left and rights for years in term of transmission manufacturers. I think I will never buy again a hub from Shimano or Sram that do not have support for multiple freehub bodies again. Hope, DT Swiss and a few other brands allows you to use hyperglide, xd driver, microspline and even campagnolo freehub with the same hub and chance is that they may be ready to support campy ekar shortly and uodate their hubs for whatever idea sram or shimano gets in the near future.

So why would you stick to a proprietary non interchangeable system ?
    I want to build some wheels that will not be forever wheels, for a bike that isn't going to be a forever bike. I don't want to pay for future proofing. But I hate hate hate walking out of the woods with a ruptured freewheel body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    I want to build some wheels that will not be forever wheels, for a bike that isn't going to be a forever bike. I don't want to pay for future proofing. But I hate hate hate walking out of the woods with a ruptured freewheel body.
    sounds a bit like producing waste
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's certainly a good point. Being able to swap back and forth could be useful. Right now I'm just curious about durability/performance of the new standard. Being an early adopter can be problematic. And in my case, it could be worse than walking out of the woods . . . I'm planning some potentially very remote touring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully one of the forum members who work in mtb focused shops or other folks can chime in on the OP's original question.
    I assume the OP is looking at new. It would also be interesting to hear about any particular manufacturing years that were problematic with shimano micro spline hubs. (I know it is not a very old platform)
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No issues with I9, Ibis, Roval, DT Swiss, Chris King, or Hope hubs with microspline. Canít say Iíve seen a Shimano brand hub since the new standard.

No news is good news.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long time lurker here, so take this for what itís worth. I had a bad experience owning the XT hubs, specifically the 157/Super Boost version. The hub would make terrible grinding noises while pedaling and no amount of shop attention could cure it. When I learned the warranty would take months, I gave up and went with Industry 9 Hyrdra which have been flawless but obviously a lot more coin. I also heard at least four anecdotes from shops on similar issues. I canít recommend these hubs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know, thanks. I’d love to have some representative samples in hand to see how they differ. Obviously the outer freehub shell needs to be the same (the spline pattern), but internal differences could be substantial. The delay (cancellation?) of the Scylence hubs wasn’t a good omen, perhaps.