Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Ardent sidewall cut. What now?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Ardent sidewall cut. What now?

Title says it all: fatal sidewall cut on an ardent 2.4 skinwall for the second time in 6 mos. To be fair I am a big boy, ride 'em hard, and have been running them tubeless with Stan's sealant despite the skinwall version not being approved for tubeless use. I have been very happy with ride quality, but this is two now down for the count.

The 2.4s are about as big as I can run in the back, and really can't go much bigger in front, either. It's a steel hardtail xc bike and I ride it everywhere there's MTB trails - xc, technical, flow, because it's my only MTB.

Thinking of Nobby Nics, Hans Dampfs, Ikons, or the officially tubeless-approved, non-skinwall (womp womp) Ardent. What y'all like in the 29er 2.3-2.4" department right now?

JZ

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another Ardent sidewall cut. What now?

Friends who are tough on tires like the Special__ed Grid series. Ground Control if you like less knob, Purgatory if you like more. Or mix those rear/front.
    Tödd Höllând

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need. -- Tyler Durden

Post Thanks / Like

those tires are shit

they are literally a joke in north van

buy a set of forecasters, or minions if you are hard on tires

maxxis DD casing is the best in the biz

Post Thanks / Like

WTB 2.3 light fast vigilante front and 2.4 light fast trail boss in back. Can't tell they are not the same size. The TB is only 1mm wider maybe. I will never go back to an Ardent.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't there tubeless-ready version of the skinwall Ardents? Asking because I bought the standard ones but seem to find reference to a tubeless rated version as well.
    Ben Brewer

Nascent research blog: www.handbuildingvalue.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Ardent EXO. The sidewalls seem fairly tough. I'm not up to speed on the Maxxis line so I assume the skinwall is lighter. Curious if others find that the EXO sidewall cuts easily too.

Post Thanks / Like

The EXO/TR variants have much stronger sidewalls. Their website now shows skinwall EXO/TR Ardents in 29x2.4, whereas the older versions were definitely neither reinforced sidewall nor 'tubeless ready.'

They also announced 27.5" skinwalls a couple of years ago, but they don't really seem to be available yet

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, OK - I think that's what I was seeing (the arrival of EXO/TR skinwalls). I thought that was what I was getting with my Ardent 2.4 skinwalls, but not the case. Guess I'll have to wait to rip a sidewall and then give the EXO a try!
    Ben Brewer

Nascent research blog: www.handbuildingvalue.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Thinking of Nobby Nics, Hans Dampfs, Ikons, or the officially tubeless-approved, non-skinwall (womp womp) Ardent. What y'all like in the 29er 2.3-2.4" department right now?
    Maxxis Ardent Race Exo 2.35 are terrific, fast-rolling like the Ikon but with more effective tread. They are surviving my local rocky trails that have killed lesser tires.
    Steve Park

Post Thanks / Like

Title says it all: fatal sidewall cut on an ardent 2.4 skinwall for the second time in 6 mos. To be fair I am a big boy, ride 'em hard, and have been running them tubeless with Stan's sealant despite the skinwall version not being approved for tubeless use. I have been very happy with ride quality, but this is two now down for the count.

The 2.4s are about as big as I can run in the back, and really can't go much bigger in front, either. It's a steel hardtail xc bike and I ride it everywhere there's MTB trails - xc, technical, flow, because it's my only MTB.

JZ
    If you're big and tough on stuff, anything with the word "race" in it need not apply. I used to weigh in around 195-205lbs and I'd routinely destroy components, wheels and tires. I've since slowly lost a lot of upper body muscle mass so I now run around 185 and I'm not nearly as tough on wheels/tires as I used to be.

Nobby Nics in my experience are good tires but the knob profile is a bit too spread out and I've flatted tubeless versions a handful of times via rock strikes.

Hans Dampf's are good tires but some complain of the knobs tearing at the edge of the tire profile. I haven't had that problem, but their snakeskin sidwall's wear incredibly well here in rocky NH.

Ardent Race's are just too thin for you - go with their more robust tubeless ready version Ardent in EXO/TR and pick the compound based on your terrain. They have a handful of tires that would fit the bill aside from the Ardent

But if you are tough on sidewalls, the WTB Trail Boss TCS light isn't enough tire. Go for the TCS Tough versions of their tires or run the Breakout's F/R - they are listed as 2.3's but fill out to a nice 2.4 and are an aggressive / tough tire.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Should have read this thread earlier this morning, already bought some. Kris, I did go with Trail Bosses after reading your blog actually though I did get the light version. I’m 190 at my winter/dad weight right now but am 5-10 lighter in racier trim. We’ll see how I do. maybe they’ll last til spring when I trim down. I haven’t historically been that tough on sidewalks or any other parts but I am not a welter weight. but this is the first time I have tried tubeless if that has anything to do with it. Last set of tires was Kenda Nevegals and they lasted years!. So anyway, I guess I will take a chance and see.

Post Thanks / Like

Minion DHF/DHR and High-Roller II's here.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like

Maxxis Ikon's w/ XCO/3C/TR (2.35F/2.2R). I'm bigger than anyone else here and they've served me well. I survived the French Creek XC race* with out an issue at about 22/25psi.

*~2hrs of straight rock garden XC racing. If anything would tear a sidewall, its this race.

Post Thanks / Like

Minion DHF/DHR on my all mountain 29er hardtail. Great combo. They hook up really well on rocky, loose trails and they seem pretty durable so far.

GGPH2.jpg
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's GRIP...

Post Thanks / Like

Should have read this thread earlier this morning, already bought some. Kris, I did go with Trail Bosses after reading your blog actually though I did get the light version. I’m 190 at my winter/dad weight right now but am 5-10 lighter in racier trim. We’ll see how I do. maybe they’ll last til spring when I trim down. I haven’t historically been that tough on sidewalks or any other parts but I am not a welter weight. but this is the first time I have tried tubeless if that has anything to do with it. Last set of tires was Kenda Nevegals and they lasted years!. So anyway, I guess I will take a chance and see.
    The light versions just are a bit prone to sidewall abrasion. Mine typically show wear up here in NH after about 6 months or so? I have not cut a sidewall though. I believe the Ardent Race's are quite a bit thinner FYI. Will be interesting to hear how you make out. It's a great tire though.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

I'll pile on here, as was looking at tires the other day for my new build in the works. Had heard not good things about the Ardents as well for real use, other than aesthetics. On the skin-wall train, however, anyone have experience with the Onza Canis or Svelt 29?

Post Thanks / Like

I've never once torn a sidewall on a Maxxis Ardent. I have on almost every specialized tire.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I gather these aren’t EXO casings? Carcass construction matters much more than tread or rubber when it comes to durability. Every manufacturer offers multiple flavours, so referring just to a “Maxxis Ardent” can be misleading.

Maxxis EXO casings are prettty good, and the minimum for anyone who goes even kind of fast, in my opinion. Specialized GRID are also an excellent option, especially with the new “Gripton” rubber, which I like more than Maxxis 3C. I’m not a Schwalbe MTB tire fan, though 2.35 Ralphs are pretty neat.

I would suggest a trip to your LBS. If they ride bikes, they’ll know what’s good for your area. My shop only stocks tires that meet the minimum durability requirements for our area...basically, we carry thick trail tires on up to two-ply. Want super light racing tires that won’t last the race? We’ll order them for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Should have specified: Ardents in the skinwall have no option for casing reinforcement... ie no EXO. Sounds like a good practice, a good local shop... it’s always disappointing when manufacturers don’t make all casing options across all wheel and tire sizes. Have found many who make anspecial compound but only for 650b etc.