User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on buying mountain bikes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Advice on buying mountain bikes?

I am starting to look for a new mtb in the $5-6K range. I want a 29er that I can use for general riding and some XC racing. I like to do the endurance racing, like some of the Epic rides and other 50 mile races. I want to climb quickly and don't jump or pretend I'm a downhill racer because I'm not. I have a 2013 Trek SuperFly 100 that I like but its wearing out and I'm ready for some new geometry, etc. I want a SRAM Eagle drivetrain. Suggestions from personal experience would be helpful. Thanks.
    Tony from ProfyShavers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Advice on buying mountain bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ybrtchet View Post
    I am starting to look for a new mtb in the $5-6K range. I want a 29er that I can use for general riding and some XC racing. I like to do the endurance racing, like some of the Epic rides and other 50 mile races. I want to climb quickly and don't jump or pretend I'm a downhill racer because I'm not. I have a 2013 Trek SuperFly 100 that I like but its wearing out and I'm ready for some new geometry, etc. I want a SRAM Eagle drivetrain. Suggestions from personal experience would be helpful. Thanks.
    The Ibis Ripley is your bike - find a shop that has demo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to try the Spark RC900.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    I got mine about a month ago. (its posted in the mountain bike section of vsalon). amazing suspension. simply floats over everything, especially downhill. cant say enough good things about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by d.bancroft View Post
    I got mine about a month ago. (its posted in the mountain bike section of vsalon). amazing suspension. simply floats over everything, especially downhill. cant say enough good things about it.
    Did you try the Mojo?

I am 5'11'' and I am having a hard time deciding between and large or medium. The Ripley was fast on the demo ride (2 hrs ride) and climbed like a road bike but the Mojo was a different beast and wanted to pop off of everything. I found myself for better or worse throwing it and myself off everything on the trail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post

This. I have been ridding dw linked bikes for a while - from an Iron Horse, to a Turner 5-Spot (still have) to a new Ripley. The Ripley is a bike that really can handle 90% of most peoples riding and from the sounds of it, maybe 100% of yours. It is fast, light and just climbs like a demon. The fat tires (29 x 2.6) seem like they will be slow but honestly, give you immense confidence in every situation.

The other reason to buy an IBIS is that the company is just solid. They are honest and fair and treat you with respect. I love my Turner but don't think he will be coming out with another MTB any time soon. IBIS has earned my business and if I ever buy another MTB, it will be an IBIS.

There is a negative with IBIS and that is simply everyone wants one. Trying to find one is hard. Really hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Checkout the latest offerings in “down country”. The stuff mentioned plus the Specialized Epic EVO, Transition Spur, etc.

Pinkbike should be dropping their results of their recent tests any day now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    Checkout the latest offerings in “down country”. The stuff mentioned plus the Specialized Epic EVO, Transition Spur, etc.

Pinkbike should be dropping their results of their recent tests any day now.
    The articles are trickling out, but for those that want the punchline now, checkout the Pinkbike Podcast, Episode 17 where they discuss the results of the field test. Mike Levy gives the summary of "down country" starting at 00:31:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been very happy with this, it's the non-RC version of the Scott Spark. The RC 900s are quite nice as well.
    It's rolling on @boydcycling TrailBlazer wheels on it (very nice!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a YT Izzo on order, will report when I have it. May also fit the bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ibis Ripley, Santa Cruz Tallboy, and Evil The Following (which is my fav of what I've ridden) should all be on your must ride list. Best advice I can give is demo everything you can...you'll know it when you've found 'the one.'
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    Ibis Ripley, Santa Cruz Tallboy, and Evil The Following (which is my fav of what I've ridden) should all be on your must ride list. Best advice I can give is demo everything you can...you'll know it when you've found 'the one.'
    Those would be the top 3 on my list for the more down oriented side of it. The Spesh Epic Evo or Santa Cruz Blur Trail are closer to the cross oriented side.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    The articles are trickling out, but for those that want the punchline now, checkout the Pinkbike Podcast, Episode 17 where they discuss the results of the field test. Mike Levy gives the summary of "down country" starting at 00:31:30.
    PB review of the Spur dropped today.
    Field Test: Transition Spur - Made to Descend - Pinkbike

I expect we will see the Epic EVO by weeks end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one mentioned the Revel Rascal? Has great online reviews. I would seriously think about this if getting the Ripley.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd definitely test ride the Revel Rascal first. I rode it for 30 miles in Dupont (as well as Avery Creek and Bennett Gap) and and its slack seat tube made climbing a struggle, especially uphill hairpins. A Santa Cruz Megatower climbs better. Its good going down hill but not more so any Santa Cruz, Evil, Pivot, Transition, Pivot or Ibis. It's a weird bike.

I'm a pretty mediocre mountain biker so take my verdict on the Revel Rascal with a grain of salt: it was one of the worst bikes I've ridden in years. Either first or second generation Evil the Following does what the Rascal aspires to do, but only better and cheaper. (Says former Following owner)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saltz View Post
    I'd definitely test ride the Revel Rascal first. I rode it for 30 miles in Dupont (as well as Avery Creek and Bennett Gap) and and its slack seat tube made climbing a struggle, especially uphill hairpins. A Santa Cruz Megatower climbs better. Its good going down hill but not more so any Santa Cruz, Evil, Pivot, Transition, Pivot or Ibis. It's a weird bike.

I'm a pretty mediocre mountain biker so take my verdict on the Revel Rascal with a grain of salt: it was one of the worst bikes I've ridden in years. Either first or second generation Evil the Following does what the Rascal aspires to do, but only better and cheaper. (Says former Following owner)

Good to hear about your experience. The Rascal has a ST angle of 75 deg. I would not have classified it as slack. But yes, compared to the Ripley at 76 deg, the rascal is slacker. Will need to keep what you said in mind while test riding the Rascal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as pointed out on the slack HT thread, so much of MTB geometry is region specific. I also read the great reviews of the Revel (ridden by folks out West) and was excited to rent one from the Hub in Brevard for a few days. But in the tight, root-filled trails of Western NC, it was unwieldy compared to other new bikes. It didn't do anything better than other bikes either - drops, railing through corners, technical climbs, but it was seriously light.

I also read the geometry and wasn't bothered but when you look at it - its pretty weird, again said by an Evil the Following owner. The folks I was riding with definitely had their chuckles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
    Good to hear about your experience. The Rascal has a ST angle of 75 deg. I would not have classified it as slack. But yes, compared to the Ripley at 76 deg, the rascal is slacker. Will need to keep what you said in mind while test riding the Rascal.
    Depends how it is measured

Ibis st angle is an effective measurement. They compile data off the test fleet to get the number. An unsprung ripley measures over 76 degree

If the revel is measured static the effective seat tube angle may be closer to 73

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This inversely applies to hard tails, where when sprung the st angle steepens.

My naked hard tail and sc Hightower measure very different but don’t feel that far off on the trail

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked the hottest day of the year here (yesterday) to test ride the Tallboy and Hightower, both in size L. I was there to try the Tallboy, really, and tried the Hightower to see if it would convince me that I want shorter travel. It didn't.

I don't doubt you are a better mountain bike rider than I am, but here's what I found: The Tallboy felt good, and the Hightower didn't feel worse. I was in an urban setting so I had to find features: a bit of park, some short steep ups and downs on grass, lumpy tree roots, a few rocks, and a few staircases. I rode both bikes up and down a steep street block, out of the saddle and on the saddle. I didn't perceive a size or speed penalty. Turns out it the bike was bigger in my head than it was on the ground.

My wish list is similar to yours--I enjoy 20-mile rides and want to go longer. I'm starting to think the right mid-travel 29er could take better care of me when it's late in the ride and I'm tired.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast