User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on buying mountain bikes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Advice on buying mountain bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    PB review of the Spur dropped today.
    Field Test: Transition Spur - Made to Descend - Pinkbike

I expect we will see the Epic EVO by weeks end.
    Pinkbike Epic EVO test dropped today.
    Field Test: 221 Specialized Epic EVO S-Works - The Most Versatile - Pinkbike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    I did a quick spin on an Epic Evo Comp today...proving only to myself that parking lots don't do much to show off how a bike really rides. SLX group felt great. Steering so different from my 20 year-old hardtail I don't know wtf is good/bad. Size medium frame had the post pretty jacked up to accommodate my 5'9" height and 33" inseam. I should try a large frame for comparison.
    Steven Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbornia View Post
    I did a quick spin on an Epic Evo Comp today...proving only to myself that parking lots don't do much to show off how a bike really rides. SLX group felt great. Steering so different from my 20 year-old hardtail I don't know wtf is good/bad. Size medium frame had the post pretty jacked up to accommodate my 5'9" height and 33" inseam. I should try a large frame for comparison.
    I hear ya, parking lots really sucks to evaluate almost everything but size, and even that only to a limited extend. This might be too far away to make it convenient but trying testing an Epic EVO over at the Specialized Experience Center in Santa Cruz. Take it out for proper ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My honest advice with everything I see going on is wait until next season if you can - stuff's just stupid right now with tariffs, supply chain issues WRT Covid and factory workers and availability - one of my friends said freaking brake olives were back ordered until January, the industry is sideways and by next year it should get it's swerve back on.
    Last edited by steve garro; 09-01-2020 at 12:34 PM.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    My honest advice with everything I see going on is wait until next season if you can - stuff's just stupid right now with tariffs, supply chain issues WRT Covid and factory workers and availability - one of my friends said freaking brake olives were back ordered until January, the industry is sideways and by next year it should get it's swerve back on.
    I just ordered all the 3rd party bh90 barbs I could find. We are a shimano service center, and will never substitute if we dont have to. BH90 bulk hoses are still on backorder, showing Jan 2021. Hopefully it shows up sooner as we ordered several boxes 8+ months ago.

Delivery dates on ANY product is starting to get wild, so treat that as you will. It is insane, and I think it will be at least next season to work back out. Other people can comment on the supply chain further down, but from what I am hearing (bikes on backorder this year versus last year) it will be at least 2021 to catch up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    I just ordered all the 3rd party bh90 barbs I could find. We are a shimano service center, and will never substitute if we dont have to. BH90 bulk hoses are still on backorder, showing Jan 2021. Hopefully it shows up sooner as we ordered several boxes 8+ months ago.

Delivery dates on ANY product is starting to get wild, so treat that as you will. It is insane, and I think it will be at least next season to work back out. Other people can comment on the supply chain further down, but from what I am hearing (bikes on backorder this year versus last year) it will be at least 2021 to catch up.
    I've done a lot of dumb stuff, but in mid-March, right after my kid's college sent him home and the state closed the courts, I bought two spare mountain bike drivetrains and six extra sets of mountain bike brake pads just in case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saltz View Post
    I'd definitely test ride the Revel Rascal first. ...Either first or second generation Evil the Following does what the Rascal aspires to do, but only better and cheaper. (Says former Following owner)
    Late to this thread but my experience is exact opposite, so definitely agree test ride it, but I had a Ibis Ripley, and then an Evil The Following, and then a Yeti SB4.5c. I'm getting the Yeti ready to sell. I've got a Revel Rascal, and even 20 lbs heavier since COVID-era began, I can climb as well on the Rascal, descend better, and get far less pedal strikes than The Following. I did size up to XL on the rascal, which felt very similar to large on my The Offering (which is my other bike).

I like them both, if forced to choose I'd take the Offering, but I do have more time on it, so am biased by the fun and familiarity. Demo what you can, and then I highly recommend buying a demo--I've had great luck with demo bikes for myself and for my teenage boys. Best shop fro me was OTEsports.com they have multiple locations and most have demo deal bikes for sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need some advice. I'm a cross country dork looking to venture slightly outside my comfort zone. For nearly the last decade I've been riding hardtails. Currently I've got a 2012 Cannondale F29, a 650B+ Groovy, and a Marin Alcatraz.

The Alcatraz is strictly an indoor park bike. Ray's is pretty close.

The Groovy is stupid fun to ride and gobbles up eastern style tech but it isn't a fast bike and isn't so fun going downhill. It's the opposite of slack. This is very much the bike I go for when I'm not looking to push the pace. I just had it on a bikepacking trip and it was perfect for that.

The Cannondale is what I ride most of the time. It does a little better than the Groovy on downhills and it's a more efficient ride when I pedal to the local trails. It's also an eight year old aluminum framed mtb. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if I fatigue cracked a stay any day now.

In the last couple years a few of the local park systems have put in machine built trails. We actually have some sustained downhill sections now with jumps and berms and a little glacial till. Average speed is pretty high. The older trail systems have some slightly more technical downhill lines that I've always just kind of picked my way down. Those trails also feature steeper lines on the way back up.

Anyway, I think what I'm looking for is something that will be a bit more confidence inspiring on the downhills and other fast bits but still not so much bike that I get tired of dragging the thing back up the hill. if I was able to ride my own bike someplace like Pisgah or the back country trails at Snowshoe that would be a plus but not required. I'm also getting a little older now so I think a little bit of give will do my back some good. If it pedals efficiently enough that I can ditch the Cannondale for XC races and even marathon duty that's a big win.

What would be your shortlist of bikes you would look at it if you were in my position? The shop team I'm on gets a substantial deal on Trek, Niner, and recently Intense but in store inventory is a little too light right now to just grab a bike and try it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

zachateseverything, I'm in a similar position. I'm not going to get too rowdy, I'm probably better going up than down, but I do want to be better going down. I seem to be in the up-to-140-travel segment.

So far I've tried the Santa Cruz Tallboy, Evil Following, and Giant Trance. Low stock has kept me from trying the Ibis Ripley, Revel Rascal, or Transition Spur. I've not made it to the Trek store yet, but it looks like the Top Fuel should be on my list. I've seen a good review of refreshed Niner RIP geometry--maybe the Jet should be on the list too. I'm waiting for the local Kona store to get a Process 134 back in stock.

I did find the Santa Cruz Hightower surprising, in that it didn't seem to give up much efficiency to the Tallboy. Reviews tell me the Giant Trance X and Ibis Ripmo might also be mid-travel 29ers that climb well. I can't buy much of anything in L/XL right now, and it's giving me too much time to wonder whether I need a 140/150 bike.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little late to the conversation here, but I'd also throw in the Cannondale Scalpel SE. Cannondale doesn't get a lot of press out on the west coast, but this new version climbs like a scalded cat and the SE version provides 120mm of travel. I've had several Scalpels and this is by far the best riding of them all. I have the 100mm version with the Lefty, which is plenty for me here, even racing the Shenandoah 100.

Overall, it's pretty hard to make a bad choice in mtbs these days.
    Chris

Road, CX, Mountain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll add one more note out of left field. For body fatigue, I'm not convinced that any of these FS bikes I've tried will take better care of me than my fully rigid Jones SWB Plus.

I charged hard into tech--medium tech on otherwise flowy/climby singletrack--on my FS test rides, as you do. When I jumped back on my Jones, I didn't think twice about going in with the same attitude and speed, and it was a bit of a revelation. A bike I thought I knew is even more capable than I realized, especially when I'm not thinking about its lack of suspension. Same trails, same distances, happy back and knees. Happier hands, honestly, because there was much less weight on them.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I think my short list is the Intense Sniper Trail, the Trek Top Fuel, and the Niner Jet 9. The Rip 9 looks cool but I think it's just too much bike for me. The shop deals are generous enough that it doesn't make much sense to venture outside the three brands they carry.

I'm probably a slight lean towards the Top Fuel. I can get into a well spec'd one for not all that much money. What's giving me a hold up is a previous issue with Trek not honoring a warranty claim.

The Intense looks like it'll do what I want. The price to play is going to be a bit more though and I've heard some bad things about longevity.

I'm just not stoked on the looks of the Niner. it's also not helpful that a bunch of my friends cracked frames prior to the bankruptcy. They all got their frames warrantied but it's always a hassle. I'm sure the next Jet 9 will be an awesome bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Top Fuel looks like a nice bike. I have a good history with Trek so Iíll try one when I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went from a HT Indy Fab Ti 29er, very light, to a 1st gen Ripley. On non-tech trails the HT was faster, the ripley climbed as well--good traction, and it rolled through things much easier. I''m FS only now--it is safer and more comfortable (less aches and fatigue--which is safer too).

I'm a huge fan of Rear Suspension by Dave Wages, so DW link and DELTA (haven't ridden the new Orion one) because the pedaling efficiency is the closest I can get to the rocket feel of a hardtail.

I have a Revel Rascal and I seem to climb about one gear lower on it--I feel surprised each time. It isn't quite as fun to me as my Offering, but both are great, and I have more time on The Offering--with time that may change. I like both more than the yeti, evil the following, and ripley that came before them

I've ridden a trance and a hightower. both are nice, but not as efficient. The trance seems a real bang for the buck, but if value is a goal, get a used bike or if possible a demo from a good shop like OTEsports.com

I've done 3 demo purchases from OTE, really great shops.

I've only done 2 races in the last several years, but several of the fastest guys were on scott--I bought my yeti SB4.5c from one of those guys at a race (a shop owner in Bakersfield, who preferred the lower travel scott to the yeti for these more XC races (this was at a 6hr race, and I saw him again at a 27-miler and he was on the scott there too).

hope you have fun demoing/trying bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have ridden my YT Izzo a bit now. Great bike, but coming off riding hardtails for the last 20+ years, I realize I have no point of comparison and anything I'd have to say is useless. I find it fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12