Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 29+ full rigid mtb?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 29+ full rigid mtb?

Does a 29+ 2.8 front / 2.4 rear full rigid mtb exist?

If no, what are some non-carbon starting points for a frame?

This would be my dream ride I want big tires and otherwise a low maintenance rig for off-road; no jumps

Does a rigid fork (carbon ok) even exist with clearance for 29+ or do you have to go with an Igleheart (love his forks)?

Just dreaming ... I should've never thrown a leg over Adam Sklar's personal whip a few summers ago in Bozeman although his was Ti plus front sus

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 29+ full rigid mtb?

IMG_6399.JPG

Very much yes.
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to stay rigid going non suspension corrected AC distance is a must and Garo's proposal look like the perfect tool for the job.

Otherwise if you want something available right now the trek Stache or 1120 is nice with a Bontrager Bowie 29+ fork. Available in alu or carbon. I rode some openmold 29+ chinese frameset for a while. Geo wasn't perfect but I still had a lot of fun. I'm considering buying a Trek stache to rebuild a 29+ as I still have the wheelset.

There is a long list here:
    List of 29 Plus frames ... (29+)- Mtbr.com
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    If you want to stay rigid going non suspension corrected AC distance is a must and Garo's proposal look like the perfect tool for the job.
    I know Sean Walling of Soulcraft would NOT build 29er suspension corrected steel forks which agrees with sk_tle's statement. So perhaps a non-suspension corrected design would be the only safe alternative. The photos of the other brands linked to above seem to agree as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Does a 29+ 2.8 front / 2.4 rear full rigid mtb exist?

If no, what are some non-carbon starting points for a frame?

This would be my dream ride I want big tires and otherwise a low maintenance rig for off-road; no jumps

Does a rigid fork (carbon ok) even exist with clearance for 29+ or do you have to go with an Igleheart (love his forks)?

Just dreaming ... I should've never thrown a leg over Adam Sklar's personal whip a few summers ago in Bozeman although his was Ti plus front sus
    The Enve fork clears 29+, but you can't use the nearly useless mini-fender that comes with it.

Sean Chaney on Instagram: “La Selva beach to Aptos, up through Nisene Marks to Soquel Demo Forest and back. Beautiful views, beautiful trees and loads of climbing”
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_7219.JPGIMG_7220.JPGIMG_7221.JPGIMG_7223.JPGIMG_7227.JPGIMG_6391.JPGIMG_6402.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    For reference that's a 440 ATC, fits a 29 x 2.6" with lots of mud clearance - I have lots of blades and will sell forks alone regular QR or 12mm TA and straight 1.125" steer tube so it rides like a rigid for should.
    You wanna put it on a 44mm HT put a King 1.125" to 1.5" base plate on it.

It's as nice as I can make it.

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Garro's bikes just look so right. I'll join those recommending a non-suspension "corrected" fork. Commit, and build it right.

And yes, building a fork with the blades 100 mm longer than they should be is not a recipe for success:

The frame did fine. Everything but the fork was OK, even the rider.
    Tee Aitch

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    The frame did fine. Everything but the fork was OK, even the rider.
    One problem with that fork as I look at it is; I don't see a tapered blade. Is that a budget fork?

Perhaps if it was larger diameter at the crown it would have withstood the impact. But perhaps no fork could have withstood whatever biffed that fork.

My IF fork was, and my Rock Lobster ATB fork is, a tapered design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Vassago steel rigid fork with a tapered steerer, 100x15 axle, and 480mm a-c. Plenty of room for giant tires. So that's an option if those are still around.
    Surly should have plenty of options for the off-the-shelf, inexpensive option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    One problem with that fork as I look at it is; I don't see a tapered blade. Is that a budget fork?
    Important to note it was NOT a Ventana fork, I put it on there. But was it a budget fork? No, it's from a major manufacturer of otherwise decent bikes.

Agreed on rigid forks with untapered blades, I don't like the way they ride, either. But I think that fork in the photo actually had a gentle taper so it'a a moot point.

The basic problem is making the fork legs longer than they need to be. The bending stress at the crown is proportional to the length cubed, so if you make your fork 490 mm axle-to-crown instead of 425 mm, you've increased the stress over 50%. Not a wise design decision.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:33 AM.
    Tee Aitch

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Important to note it was NOT a Ventana fork, I put it on there. But was it a budget fork? No, it's from a major manufacturer of otherwise decent bikes.

Agreed on rigid forks with untapered blades, I don't like the way they ride, either. But I think that fork in the photo actually had a gentle taper so it'a a moot point.

The basic problem is making the fork legs longer than they need to be. The bending stress at the crown is proportional to the length cubed, so if you make your fork 490 mm axle-to-crown instead of 425 mm, you've increased the stress over 50%. Not a wise design decision.
    Most manufacturers of long forks bumped the legs up to 1.25" to make them not taco, but then they ride bad and put a lot of stress on the down tube, which then has to be beefed up.

I like 1.125" tapered legs in a .8 or .9mm to 1.25mm butting profile.

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On top of strength and ride quality concerns i would say a 29+ tire is the perfect excuse to build a non suspension corrected frame and fork because it looks so much better.
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience, most rigid forks will fit 3” tires. I’ve had Surly, Salsa, Niner. The Niner just barely clears, though, so I use 2.8” Chupacabra.

That Kona P2 fork must have taken a big hit. Those are pretty stout forks. Never really liked them (or any of the Surly or Salsa forks), but I never worried about them folding over since they overkill on weight capacity. I really don’t like the carbon Niner either.

Best fork I’ve had is a custom using FB-4 blades. Nice and springy. I’d like to have another built.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    On top of strength and ride quality concerns i would say a 29+ tire is the perfect excuse to build a non suspension corrected frame and fork because it looks so much better.
    Would you show a few examples purely for aesthetics when you have time?

I don't think this is a + and I think the 44 HT is too big for the fork but I like this Igleheart aesthetically

Also probably not 29+ but I love the Alma aesthetically though I think Orbeas are too much cash

The Stache is ok though I'd like to see it with the Bontrager fork mentioned but all of the other 29+ bikes on the list are a meh which do nothing for me

I'm a traditionalist piqued by your aesthetics comment. If anyone would like to spell out non-suspension corrected and what that entails I'd like to learn more about that too. I only think about it for the fork and not necessarily the frame so what is a non-suspension corrected frame, am I understanding that correctly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Would you show a few examples purely for aesthetics when you have time?

I'm a traditionalist piqued by your aesthetics comment. If anyone would like to spell out non-suspension corrected and what that entails I'd like to learn more about that too. I only think about it for the fork and not necessarily the frame so what is a non-suspension corrected frame, am I understanding that correctly?
    Canīt look for pictures right now but i would mention Jones and Steve Potts besides Garro as builders of bikes w/ more head tube and no plans for suspension. I hear it puts less stress on headsets and the front triangle though i lack the engineering knowledge to back it up w/ numbers.
    There was another builder, in Colorado I believe, building steel 29ers and his forks had struts... beautifull bikes w/ an old school flavour.
    I donīt know how to work on susp. forks and i like being being able to rebuild the bike on my own so i favour full rigid. NOt a fundamentalist but itīs a preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was another builder, in Colorado I believe, building steel 29ers and his forks had struts... beautifull bikes w/ an old school flavour.
    Fuckin' Don "The Lung" McClung:

Google Image Result for http://www.vintagemtbworkshop.com/uploads/1/6/1/3/16132778/andy-walkerno18_orig.jpg

- Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:46 PM.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Oh yeah.. Very short wheelbases on his bikes from what i have seen so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah.. Very short wheelbases on his bikes from what i have seen so far.
    16" chain stay or so.

SHORT

Don is a MTB pioneer and treasure = ever read up on the fate of his old partner in "Shortie Bikes" Mike Rust?

- Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:53 PM.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are many many reasons I’m likely one of the luckiest sonsofbitches alive, but for sure having both a Don bike AND a Coconino don’t hurt.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast