Thread: 29+ full rigid mtb?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 29+ full rigid mtb?

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    I just realized your whip is ss - my eyes were always drawn to the bulge of the fork crown then the dropper / spacers touch of gold and I never even looked at the drivetrain. But I'm a Large so we're in good company.

Haven't heard from Oscar but that would be cool if he has some ideas.

You're running 2.5 / 2.4 I wonder if 29+ is even necessary like aren't there days where that feels bomb but other days where big ass tires ride sluggish.

Adam Sklar's bike was 2.8 up front with 2.4 rear and it felt like a monster truck which I really liked. He had front sus but lives in Bozeman and can ride some gnarly trails.

I'm probably a good candidate for an IF Deluxe Redux used but they don't seem to be out there but they sold a few long enough now that I bet the majority are garage queens.
    The Deluxe Redux is a cool sled. Those Iglehart forks look awesome; I have seen the NE Segmented design on some 44mm headtubes and it's looking good even so atmo.

Yeah, re: tire size, that's my attitude, that the 2.5 is doing some extra suspension work for me, whether I ride the rigid or my 100mm XC fork. Wouldn't want to go fatter, but I ride as much variety as I can between old school singletrack and new IMBA spec type trails. If I rode nothign but old school rooty singletrack, I would think about 27.5 plus.

I will say these tires are heavy, though their hookup is unreal. A nicety on rigid, but I would look at going back to something less fat/heavy with my sus fork.

I have an XTR cassette I bought off Applesauce - might gin up a derailleur and shifter if I get the itch to go do some "epic" rides, though I have ridden some hard rides in Bent Creek/Asheville on SS. Just gotta tough it out. For now, SS is good for me because 95% of my rides are under 75 minutes (I have little kids) and it guarantees me some intensity if there's any climbing.

Might not look like it now, but a ton of the inspiration for the directions I have taken my Cielo in its various configurations (the pink paint was inspired by an Ellis track bike and my neighbor's pink Lincoln MKVII) have been @MisterDangerPants aka @bobbyearleobrien 's bikes over the years. His have been the very coolest. Look through the galleries and see both his Tomii's, a green 650b and a black rigid SS 29er, and his Ted Wojcik, and he also had Circle A update a laughably old, by today's standards, Rhygin into the coolest thing around. I like some saddle-bar drop on MTB. Just feels right when riding to me. Slammed stem, rigid, or not too much travel feels quite connected to the trail. A modern contraption like a dropper will help you still get low. Love mine which I bought off Sean. You should probably listen to Sean and get one of the new geo bikes, though, especially if you've ridden a Sklar. (A counterpoint is @joosttx seems to be going back toward a more classic bike with his new Built? I don't know the numbers on that bike. Ask him. And, @Lionel seems to always like some drop on his MTBs, just no droppers).

So anyway, I think a classic SS-capable XC 29er will always be the first bike in my MTN stable. After that, either the new geo or a full-sus depending on where I'm living at the time. That's the dream though. My fiduciary priorities right now mean I need to be a one-bike man.
    Last edited by zambenini; 1 Week Ago at 08:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

42076010040_63538788dc_b.jpg

Vertigo Cycles ti xc missile. 29x2.25 ish rear 29x2.6 front.

34240762886_5d4e702aa5_b.jpg

previously with a 29x3.0 front...

34240762886_5d4e702aa5_b.jpg

my 44 bikes TNT bike packing monster 29x3.0

41034083591_7d1f600992_b.jpg

13922701696_2f49252724_b.jpg

and most recent - my Vertigo Mullet awesomebike

its 27.5x2.8 rear but could be 29x2.4 fairly easily...29x3.0 front.

48787178133_dfe304e60d_b.jpg

48782553243_5a6d85f9a3_b.jpg

I case it wasn't clear ( :-)~ ) im a BIG fan of bigger tyre up front, rigid bikes. keeps you on your toes with out escape velocity required for thrills and is light and reliable in Scottish muck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Like, like, like, like? I lost track of how many permutations I saw in that post but I like 'em all.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Initial plans were to go rigid on this bike but went for an easily sourced suspension fork instead. I love the big tires, especially because I don't race. They can be a bit of a slog on the occasional road when touring but they're super comfy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a sweet TN right there

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com