Thread: 29+ full rigid mtb?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 29+ full rigid mtb?

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    I can't speak for others but that one speed I posted is 23lbs / 10.something kilos complete
    Out of curiosity do you know what Schurter or Van der Poel's xc whips weigh? I have no idea but HT and FS. I'm sure Thomas knows to the ounce.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Out of curiosity do you know what Schurter or Van der Poel's xc whips weigh? I have no idea but HT and FS. I'm sure Thomas knows to the ounce.
    Who?

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight is not the end all for speed and efficiency. Maybe on a climbing only bike but MB xc is not climbing only. Do you want a racing bike or an all around bike?
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know as precisely but my last carbon full rigid bike was around 9kg, a friend of mine had a Felt xx1 equipped hardtail with front suspension waiting 8.7kg 3y ago and the full rigid alma M-LTD mentionned before has been weighted by spanish journos at around 8kg if my memory is correct so road bike weight territory. I've seen much lighter builds from people in my area but they were 50kg weight weenie riders.

As colker says, there is more than climbing but I admit to like the simplicity and fun of a lightweight rigid bike despite having also access to a full suspension bike. You may be slower in the really fast or technical downhills but when riding non too gnarly trails it makes the ride a bit more engaging and fun. Sometimes you just want a quick ride around the nearest fireroads and singletracks and do not have to face huge rock and roots gardens or the steepest gradients. In these areas a full rigid shine.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 09-24-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I don't know as precisely but my last carbon full rigid bike was around 9kg, a friend of mine had a Felt xx1 equipped hardtail with front suspension waiting 8.7kg 3y ago and the full rigid alma M-LTD mentionned before has been weighted by spanish journos at around 8kg if my memory is correct so road bike weight territory. I've seen much lighter builds from people in my area but they were 50kg weight weenie riders.

As colker says, there is more than climbing but I admit to like the simplicity and fun of a lightweight rigid bike despite having also access to a full suspension bike. You may be slower in the really fast or technical downhills but when riding non too gnarly trails it makes the ride a bit more engaging and fun. Sometimes you just want a quick ride around the nearest fireroads and singletracks and do not have to face huge rock and roots gardens or the steepest gradients. In these areas a full rigid shine.
    I like rigid too but i find damping very important. An extra light bike that does not stay composed and wants to kick off the ground is not efficient or fun. A stiff and balanced bike can make you faster even if it is 2lbs heavier. Besides... tires can vary so much in weight in mtb.
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Perfectly describes what I want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just rode the Whole Enchilada on a Pugsley with 29+ wheels. It did well. Roll over of those huge 29+ tires was fantastic and took out a lot of sting of the fast chattery sections.

If I were to ride it again, I would change up just a few things. Ti handlebars and a custom fork. CF handlebars are great for winter, but a little harsh for this type of ride. Fork with a little bit of spring would go a long way. Surly Knard front tire was a little too tame. I'd get something more aggressive next time. But riding it the way I had it set up--no major issues. She's porky, but downhills, it doesn't get thrown off the line like other lighter rigid bikes I've taken to Moab. I do feel that heft powering up some of those steep sections, though...

Pug29+2.jpg

Pug29+1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post

Love mine.
    Me too. Wow!
    Lee James Jones
    105 fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a better shot:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John that Cielo is beautiful and right up my alley. Are you in Nashville or Durham? (Sewanee grad for some reason I thought you were in TN)

Curious what is the weight of that rig?

That pink is gorgeous on a rigid mtb and the gold spacer is genius with the dropper post.

Chapeau on your sled she's exactly what I'm looking for.

Do you know what steel the Cielos use?

I came across Chromag's Surface yesterday but it's built with 4130 no thanks.

This is better with 853

If money were no object Adam would have my deposit already

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful bike. What fork is that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    Beautiful bike. What fork is that?
    Thanks! It's a Whisky No. I can't remember, courtesy of the tallest, coolest Salon honcho around. Got it painted with the frame when I got it repainted this summer.

John that Cielo is beautiful and right up my alley. Are you in Nashville or Durham? (Sewanee grad for some reason I thought you were in TN)

Curious what is the weight of that rig? [/IMG]
    Yo! Thanks. Nashville was a short-lived experiment. A prototype that failed. Back in Cackalack for the time being. Wish I could have gone for a ride with you in Barca. Did your fishing trip pan out or was that another Salonista in Spain doing that?

Dude, I love me this Cielo. Unfortunately, they closed their frame shop not long after I took delivery. What I have been able to piece together is mission-drift from the bearing business plus their top customers may not have been happy Cielo was competing with them. Oscar of Simple Bicycle was doing a lot of fab for them; wouldn't be surprised if he built mine. If I were looking to replace this guy, I'd call him, or look at Breadwinner if I wanted something quick. They are turning out really nice frames.

Not sure what steel this bike is but I'd say it errs toward being smooth and stout versus light and springy. It's a lively ride, but not the lightest. Then again I am running moderate weight rims from Nextie and very stout tires - the latest gen WTB Vigilante 2.5 out front and Trail Boss 2.4. They must be a couple pounds a piece. I will weigh it with me on the bathroom scale some time. I have a suspension fork for it, too. Love it in both configs.

I will say, apart from the generous tire clearance and the internal dropper routing, this thing is an XC bike. A lot of the rigs you linked up there look like "the new geometry" to me, longer slacker, more travel. I haven't ridden those things, really. People love them; some people aren't wild about them; people say all kinds of things about them. I like XC bikes so far just fine; I appreciate a little saddle-bar drop on a MTB. This thing solved all the problems my 26er aluminum hardtail had. XC bikes strike me as more versatile, but what do I know? It rides great uphill, flat terrain, etc., and I haven't gotten hurt going downhill yet, so there's that.

Frankly, though I love this thing so much, if I ever sell it or it gives up the ghost I'm going to basically get the same thing in titanium from someone and call it a "lifetime" bike. A Moots MootoX RSL or a Seven or talk to my neighbor Jim Kish or something. If I had $2K more dollars when I bought it I woulda done that in the first place. But now I know I love it that much. Soo yeah. Good luck!
    Last edited by zambenini; 10-02-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! It's a Whisky No. I can't remember, courtesy of the tallest, coolest Salon honcho around. Got it painted with the frame when I got it repainted this summer.

Yo! Thanks. Nashville was a short-lived experiment. A prototype that failed. Back in Cackalack for the time being. Wish I could have gone for a ride with you in Barca. Did your fishing trip pan out or was that another Salonista in Spain doing that?

Dude, I love me this Cielo. Unfortunately, they closed their frame shop not long after I took delivery. What I have been able to piece together is mission-drift from the bearing business plus their top customers may not have been happy Cielo was competing with them. Oscar of Simple Bicycle was doing a lot of fab for them; wouldn't be surprised if he built mine. If I were looking to replace this guy, I'd call him, or look at Breadwinner if I wanted something quick. They are turning out really nice frames.

Not sure what steel this bike is but I'd say it errs toward being smooth and stout versus light and springy. It's a lively ride, but not the lightest. Then again I am running moderate weight rims from Nextie and very stout tires - the latest gen WTB Vigilante 2.5 out front and Trail Boss 2.4. They must be a couple pounds a piece. I will weigh it with me on the bathroom scale some time. I have a suspension fork for it, too. Love it in both configs.

I will say, apart from the generous tire clearance and the internal dropper routing, this thing is an XC bike. A lot of the rigs you linked up there look like "the new geometry" to me, longer slacker, more travel. I haven't ridden those things, really. People love them; some people aren't wild about them; people say all kinds of things about them. I like XC bikes so far just fine; I appreciate a little saddle-bar drop on a MTB. This thing solved all the problems my 26er aluminum hardtail had. XC bikes strike me as more versatile, but what do I know? It rides great uphill, flat terrain, etc., and I haven't gotten hurt going downhill yet, so there's that.

Frankly, though I love this thing so much, if I ever sell it or it gives up the ghost I'm going to basically get the same thing in titanium from someone and call it a "lifetime" bike. A Moots MootoX RSL or a Seven or talk to my neighbor Jim Kish or something. If I had $2K more dollars when I bought it I woulda done that in the first place. But now I know I love it that much. Soo yeah. Good luck!
    Oscar almost certainly welded yours as he was working directly for King for about a year before they closed up shop. Though "built" was a group effort as they had a couple other guys who were doing some of the mitering and brazing. It's not my place to say who Oscar welds for these days, but it's several companies and I feel like it's OK for me to say that if you're looking at a bike from a small run "boutique" builder, you can short the system and go straight to him.

If you ever get a chance to spend some time on a bike with more modern geometry, do yourself a favor and give it a shot. I couple of rides at a minimum would be ideal. One of the production guys on the bearings side of things came through UBI when I was teaching there and we had ample opportunity to discuss how the Cielo MTB designs were being driven. They were totally driven by a higher up who came of age around bikes in the '90's and like a lot of folks who are still listening to Stryper, his desire for evolution and discovery stopped around then.

If you're neighbors with Jim, tell him I said hi. He's one of my favorite people in the bike industry and I miss hanging out with him.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, thanks to Sean for that sweet dropper. The gold headset spacers are nothin'... It usually weares a Kashima fork, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post

like a lot of folks who are still listening to Stryper, his desire for evolution and discovery stopped around then.
    Bless you for this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Cackalack a Derm term? I know you have some good BBQ but I'm a Chapel Hill guy. Went to basketball camp 4 years as a kid and my mother and brother both graduated from UNC. Wait. Do you live in Carrboro? If you do you're all set that's a great little town.

I saw Nancy Griffith play a show on the water in Nashville but that was my only time there apart from "Creep" era Radiohead opening for REM somewhere on the outskirts.

I bailed on the fishing trip at the last minute. I had my panniers packed and was planning to roll in the morning when I got cold feet. Something didn't feel right so I called it off. I felt like either the ride or the fishing was going to be a struggle. I wasn't even sure how to secure my fly rod and just felt overwhelmed with fishing gear ahead of such a big ride. Plus I lost some time ordering gear and didn't want to start the ride worrying about the calendar for that would've been stress on top of stress. I didn't want to feel any time pressure at all since I knew this would be a learning tour. I've never toured with a load before and had a feeling that everything was about to go wrong. Since I didn't need to prove anything to myself I decided to raincheck. It will happen but just wasn't in the cards this past summer. I did hop in a rental car and go fly fishing for 4 days which was awesome. I didn't want to compromise the fly fishing and wasn't sure how to do that on the bike. I've ridden across Spain 7-8 times and never had this feeling before so I know I did the right thing. My leg might've been a factor but it wasn't decisive. This was going to be a special ride for me as I haven't pedaled across the country since my leg drama. I'm looking forward to it and will do it right when I do.

Thanks for your thoughts on your Cielo. I emailed Oscar just to feel him out. I like Breadwinner too.

Mine is more of a pipe dream project right now but I'm trying to fuel it. Your pink sled is front and center on my mood board. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI, this one was white when it left their shop if you ask Oscar about 'the pink one.'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Cackalack a Derm term? I know you have some good BBQ but I'm a Chapel Hill guy. Went to basketball camp 4 years as a kid and my mother and brother both graduated from UNC. Wait. Do you live in Carrboro? If you do you're all set that's a great little town.

I saw Nancy Griffith play a show on the water in Nashville but that was my only time there apart from "Creep" era Radiohead opening for REM somewhere on the outskirts.
    Durham seven years now (excepting our 7-month Nashville interlude). I remember now we PM'd about MTB trails in Sewanee once. Never did get there, but I did ride Percy Warner and Montgomery Bell a bunch.

Durham's been good; some mighty nice basketball in these parts. Carrboro is nice. CH, well, not too bad.

Jim Kish is not a neighbor in the close by sense. We traded emails once or twice and I visited his shop out there. You should call him and get a ti 100mm xc MTB with sliding dropouts in size Large, matte brushed or shot-peened finish. If you don't like it, I will buy it off you secondhand cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jim Kish is not a neighbor in the close by sense. We traded emails once or twice and I visited his shop out there. You should call him and get a ti 100mm xc MTB with sliding dropouts in size Large, matte brushed or shot-peened finish. If you don't like it, I will buy it off you secondhand cheap.
    I just realized your whip is ss - my eyes were always drawn to the bulge of the fork crown then the dropper / spacers touch of gold and I never even looked at the drivetrain. But I'm a Large so we're in good company.

Haven't heard from Oscar but that would be cool if he has some ideas.

You're running 2.5 / 2.4 I wonder if 29+ is even necessary like aren't there days where that feels bomb but other days where big ass tires ride sluggish.

Adam Sklar's bike was 2.8 up front with 2.4 rear and it felt like a monster truck which I really liked. He had front sus but lives in Bozeman and can ride some gnarly trails.

I'm probably a good candidate for an IF Deluxe Redux used but they don't seem to be out there but they sold a few long enough now that I bet the majority are garage queens.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast