Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 29+ full rigid mtb?

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    16" chain stay or so.

SHORT

Don is a MTB pioneer and treasure = ever read up on the fate of his old partner in "Shortie Bikes" Mike Rust?

- Garro.
    Ooohh.... i followed that story for a while. Dark, brutal, sinister.
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    I
    The basic problem is making the fork legs longer than they need to be. The bending stress at the crown is proportional to the length cubed, so if you make your fork 490 mm axle-to-crown instead of 425 mm, you've increased the stress over 50%. Not a wise design decision.
    Can you explain this? Since bending momentum increases linear with the distance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    Can you explain this? Since bending momentum increases linear with the distance.
    Sorry, that’s deflection that varies with the length cubed:

δmax = F * L3 / (3 * E * I)

Stress is linear.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Sorry, that’s deflection that varies with the length cubed:

δmax = F * L3 / (3 * E * I)

Stress is linear.
    Since deflection can be seen as "comfort" that is not always a bad thing maybe?
    I know there's a 3rd power in tube diameter resisting bending, so tapering a fork makes so much sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since deflection can be seen as "comfort" that is not always a bad thing maybe?

Not until the point it becomes chatter.

I know there's a 3rd power in tube diameter resisting bending, so tapering a fork makes so much sense.
    Torsion, IIRC

- Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:52 PM.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There must be an engineer on this board, but what I was taught was what the tube section formula in this wiki document states:
    Section modulus - Wikipedia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP here. If I opened this up to 29er full rigid what are the options? I want to see what's out there as far as race xc machines. I would prefer alu or steel over CF but open to all three.

I'm wondering what going from a 2.8/2.4 tire down to what I assume would be about a 2.25 tire what that opens up in terms of full rigid mtb options.

I've never ridden suspension apart from renting a Specialized Demo once at Big Sky and I'm happy as a peach on a wide tire and want the low maintenance plus weight savings of rigid.

My riding won't be rock gardens or anything that would take advantage of suspension. To me riding a mtb is like a good truck ride. I'm totally down with that. A 29+ is a monster truck but I want to consider some F150s or Toyota Tundras whatever the best 29er rigid options are.

Thanks for fueling my mtb lust

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something like a Kona Unit X might fit the bill. KONA BIKES | MTB | MTB HARDTAIL | Unit X

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interested to see what the OP ends up with. I've been riding my HT 29er with a rigid fork and 2.3 tires a lot lately, as the trails locally are not overly rough and technical, and I enjoy the experience.

I haven't tried it, but a 2.8 tire would fit in my front fork if they are true to size width wise. My bike is older, 100 mm/135mm axles. So, it seems to me that you may not need anything particularly new or plus sized specific to put something together that works.

I think I will build a wider front wheel and buy a 2.8 tire and try it out for myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    OP here. If I opened this up to 29er full rigid what are the options? I want to see what's out there as far as race xc machines. I would prefer alu or steel over CF but open to all three.

I'm wondering what going from a 2.8/2.4 tire down to what I assume would be about a 2.25 tire what that opens up in terms of full rigid mtb options.

I've never ridden suspension apart from renting a Specialized Demo once at Big Sky and I'm happy as a peach on a wide tire and want the low maintenance plus weight savings of rigid.

My riding won't be rock gardens or anything that would take advantage of suspension. To me riding a mtb is like a good truck ride. I'm totally down with that. A 29+ is a monster truck but I want to consider some F150s or Toyota Tundras whatever the best 29er rigid options are.

Thanks for fueling my mtb lust
    I honestly don't know - it seems like if it's rigid and mainstream then it's fairly lower end and not in what I would consider "Race XC"

Perfectly good stuff like that Kona or a Surly but not the lightest bikes, more "Gateway Bikes"

Looks like this is what Surly has:

Steel 29+ Mountain Bike | 29er Krampus | Surly Bikes

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just buy the damn Alma Hollis.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Just buy the damn Alma Hollis.
    I need to find someone with buyer's remorse who wish he'd gotten front sus

What is the top mtb drivetrain. Is it split like road or is there a unanimous winner. For argument's sake let's assume the Orbea Alma rigid and I'm assuming in mtb that 1x is unanimously favored over 2x.

My only mtb was in college. I had a half alu half steel Raleigh that my dad bought for $800. It was an awesome bike. If I could buy the same bike right now I would. I'm pretty sure it had SLX. I've always wanted a full XT or XTR mtb but it seems like SRAM Eagle or XX1 I don't even know what they're called but it seems like that's the top shit right now.

Are Shimano 1x not that good? Is it weight too?

Speaking of weight what is respectable for a rigid 29er are we talking about 10kg or is it far less than that? I know there are probably a million variables like road.

I wish Orbea made the Alma rigid in alu so I could afford it

Final thought what about something in Specialized land like the Chisel is that more a trail mtb? Specialized aren't cheap but maybe you get more bang for your buck with components I'm just typing out loud.

Would a steel custom frame + fork be heavy af? Would it rip and be respectable on trails or possibly racing? (no intentions to race just wondering if xc worthy)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This ticks a lot of boxes but the downtube cabling looks awful in the second pic

I lived in Atlanta in the 1990s and Fat Chance was everywhere

The 2.2 Yo Eddy apparently accommodates 27.5+ but not 29+ but in this iteration it doesn't look fast - do steel HTs rip or are they sluggish?

I want a bike that will fly uphill

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think ripping uphill has a lot to do with gearing. i recently borrowed a pal's hardtail redline with stout gearing and took it on a loop i ride all the time. PRs everywhere. you either ride it fast, or you walk, and I ain't going to walk. If money was no object, a HT with a dropper would be high on my list.

(If you clear a lot of logs, the cabling on the Fat Chance will eventually give you trouble.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would the handling be noticeably different with a 1 1/8" HT — the 44 looks awfully lopsided to my eyes

I see so many 26" mtb frames out there — if there was a 29er with cantis I think I would scoop it up if a canti mtb brake option exists (Paul?) but at 6' 1 1/2" (187cm) I can't do a 26. My son's in fourth grade and rides a 26" Trek hybrid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The handling won't be any different with an 1 1/8" head tube, but with a 44 you can put in a fork with a tapered steerer.

The big issue for the blue and green bike is the suspension-corrected 29er fork. Those have to be overbuilt (from a ride and handling perspective) because the axle-to-crown measurement is so long.

Don't buy a 29er with cantis, because you cannot buy satisfactory 29er rims that work with rim brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    The handling won't be any different with an 1 1/8" head tube, but with a 44 you can put in a fork with a tapered steerer.

The big issue for the blue and green bike is the suspension-corrected 29er fork. Those have to be overbuilt (from a ride and handling perspective) because the axle-to-crown measurement is so long.

Don't buy a 29er with cantis, because you cannot buy satisfactory 29er rims that work with rim brakes.
    I think this would look great with a 1 1/8" HT this bike has always spoken to me

I think Chris was making the old Fat City mtbs back in the 1990s probably Tyler of Firefly too; Mike Flanigan of IF then ANT now Seven I think

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The HT / fork junction looks optimal here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I think the difference is much smaller on trail bikes where all the components are heaviest and the gain you could get in the frame is marginal I think you can't beat a carbon XC bike with lightweight wheels and tires (think Schwalbe thunderburts) if you want a cross country that fly uphill.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Would a steel custom frame + fork be heavy af? Would it rip and be respectable on trails or possibly racing? (no intentions to race just wondering if xc worthy)
    I can't speak for others but that one speed I posted is 23lbs / 10.something kilos complete

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast