User Tag List

Thread: 27.5+ Tires 2.8 vs 3.0 Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 27.5+ Tires 2.8 vs 3.0 Thoughts?

I am planning on picking up a 27.5+ hard tail. My lady has 3" tires on her Meriwhether and likes them, but other opinions are welcome.
    PC150436 by Joe, on Flickr

It will have a 130mm front shock, what would you go for? Pros and cons of tire size ?

Cheers,
    -Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: 27.5+ Tires 2.8 vs 3.0 Thoughts?

Joe, I ride 3" tires because they're the biggest that fit. Love them.

I'd consider riding a little smaller in front if I had more travel, but I don't want to give up any pedal clearance. You have 10 mm more travel so maybe you can play a bit.

TH

PS Special__ed Purgs. The control version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same bike as Todd and ride similar terrain. For me, the 3” tires are the best setup.

If I lived in an area with less rocks and roots, I’d ride 2.8’s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I settled on the Minion DHF 2.8s and maybe looking at the 2.6s for next summer, they have a Kung Fun grip and have been bomb proof. Bike came with chronicle 3.0s but they felt slow and overkill

Anything from 3.0 and above is fat bike terrritory and I would rather be riding 26 x 3.8 Surley Nates or my recently acquired Wrathchild studded 4.8

If I only had 1 mountain bike - I would lean towards a 3.0+,

so many varialables - experience, thread pattern, tire pressure, terrain, rim width etc.... treat your lady to a pair of Minions and so you can get an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of depends on tread - a 2.8" DHR is allot more tire then a 3.0" WTB Ranger, for example.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These arrived last week 26 X 4.8 inch and will be set up tubeless. They are also available in 27.5 X 3.0 - let it rain/snow and freeze please.

Wrathchild_TR4593_01.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on how you ride and what the trails are like. If you're fairly quick and aggressive while descending and/or your trails have lots of berms, the bigger tires definitely tend to fold over. As with any big tire, they behave radically different at different pressures and that functional window is pretty narrow. I rode 3.0" for a couple of years, 2.8" for a year. For more rustic trails at relatively slow speeds, either size is great, depending on tread, once you find your ideal pressure. On newer style trail that tends to be faster with more berms, you have to choose between the tire holding up in corners but bouncing all over the trail elsewhere, or run them at a supple, grippy pressure and let them fold in the corners. IMO, if you have to pump them up to more than ~18psi, they're too bouncy. If you don't mind the added weight, popping a CushCore into a 2.8 will mostly keep the tire upright in the corners and will let you run them at pressures that work well everywhere.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I spent last season swapping between my mountain bike sporting 29x2.4's and 27.5x3.0". Every time I rode my bike with the 27.5x3.0's wheel set, I couldn't help but realize I was having demonstrably more fun. That wheel size just enables you to throw the bike around so much. 3.0" tires were fun but they seemed to be a bit too much tire. I haven't experienced any of the tire folding some say they've experienced with larger volume tires though? (None of the local trails are super groomed with berms - they're really well groomed but have a lot of rocks/roots and twists and turns). So out of curiousity, I wanted to try out 27.5 x 2.8's this season and could not be more happy. I'm really curious about a set of 2.6's now. 3.0" tires bent more on the feel of a fat bike where the 2.8's felt a bit more mountain bike-like. Retained all the traction and ride quality of the 3.0's but gained a bit more speed / less rolling resistence.

If someone asked me today what wheel tire size to go with if they want a super playful mountain bike that has all the best attributes of their old 26" and none of the negatives of their 29er, I'd say go 27.5+ and choose either 2.8's or 2.6's.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    If someone asked me today what wheel tire size to go with if they want a super playful mountain bike that has all the best attributes of their old 26" and none of the negatives of their 29er, I'd say go 27.5+ and choose either 2.8's or 2.6's.
    Concur. 27.5 and 2.6 tires. @steve garro set this up with a 120 fork with is sufficient for where this bike goes. Having ridden a Trek Stache with 29x3 tires I'm stoked to be on the Coconino with the 27.5 and 2.6 tires. I've been calling it mid-fat. It's a blast and has velcro-like tracking while still spinning up easy. Compromise of tire volume and weight and grip checked the box for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't stand them, completely divested myself over the last six months. Run them low enough to get the traction benefits and you can't go fast, because you can't lean on the tire very hard. Run them firm enough that they don't squirm like hell when you lean on them, and not only do you not get the traction benefits (though no matter what those still exceed a traditional trail tire, and you can feel it in the weight and rolling resistance), but they bounce around like basketballs.

If you're accustomed to hard charging on a modern trail- or XC-race bike, you'll likely find the same. If you're usually out for a Sunday cruise, they're great. With that in mind, they're particularly good for those without a big base of MTB experience, because the traction and balance are closer to what you'd find with a fatbike. They're also great for beginning, older, or more recreational riders who still want to ride some of the more challenging local trails they keep hearing about from the hardcore set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks for that article. Always nice when somebody puts in a significant effort to objectively evaluate a question like this. I also appreciate that there are no glaring engineering mistakes or inconsistencies I saw on the first read-through. So many tests by cycling "journalists" don't pass technical muster.

While I share his conclusion, that bigger tires are faster, speed is not the main reason behind my recommendation. That said, for months on my new bike with plus tires I was setting PR's on difficult sections. But for me it's being able to ride those sections and consistently clean them. It's about more traction and more fun, and more margin for error, especially at very low speeds on ridiculously technical terrain.

TH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    While I share his conclusion, that bigger tires are faster, speed is not the main reason behind my recommendation.
    This sentiment/question of "But are plus tires slower?" is typically what I get from a client who is on the fence. (That and weight.) So I believe that's where he's coming from when he's primarily putting a lot of emphasis on the speed end of the review. Racers aside, this quote from the article linked above pretty much sum's up my thoughts on 2.8's: "I found that bigger tyres offered a smoother ride, more grip and allowed me to ride faster over rough and technical terrain."

That's it in a nutshell.

2.6 vs 2.8? That is a bit more on the construction side of things and the hurdles you have to overcome between tire, chainstay and chainring clearance and attempting to balance performance/geometry. If you're building around a standard 73mm shell with a Boost 148mm rear, 2.6" makes it a bit easier. 2.8's are certainly WAY more easy to deal with than 3.0" tires. 83x157 makes all these problems go away with good chain line and a modest gain in tread/q-factor.

But man, 27.5 s 2.8's are SUPER fun!! I don't get this sentiment that it's a standard dead in the water...
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

29x2.5 doesn’t give up a ton of traction for me, and I appreciate the roll over of the bigger wheel. That being said I am taller than most of the posters in this thread, so the increased rolling mass/wheel size is less an issue.

I echo applesauce’s experience