Thread: 120mm 32 vs 34 Forks

Post Thanks / Like

Default 120mm 32 vs 34 Forks

Building up a new Kona Honzo CR -- took me months to decide on direction of a frame/build. Being an XC guy for a few decades, I am looking to embrace some modern geometry/technology, but still want a race bike.

That said, just discovered that Fox is still making a 32mm 120mm Factory fork for 2018. Being 165lb 6'0", unsure I "need" a 34mm Fork or even a 35mm RS Pike that was originally spec'd on this bike. The frame is Boost and I'll get a Boost fork.

Anyone have any direct ride experience between the two. Looks like 1/2lb or more weight difference too.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 120mm 32 vs 34 Forks

Spend the 1/2 lb and get the 34 (or the pike)...you won't regret it and will more than buy back the weight with speed and confidence you never knew on gross descents. The big difference between "modern" hardtails like a honzo and your old xc bike is they allow you to ride "in the fork" as your front wheel moves further out ahead rather than underneath you. This means straighter, faster, more unforgiving lines....but only if the fork is there. The 32 in longer travel options will have noticeably more flex through the stanctions and crown, and is especially noticeable under braking.

If you want to save some weight you can skip the boost option...The only real need for this is if you want to fit a true 3.0" tire. A Maxxis Rekon 2.8 fits just fine under the 100mm spaced Fox 34 (also true of some other forks, but I'd do the research). Otherwise the boost fork is wider, heaver and I find it looks funny.
    Richard May

Moustache Cycles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by th_boone View Post
    Building up a new Kona Honzo CR -- took me months to decide on direction of a frame/build. Being an XC guy for a few decades, I am looking to embrace some modern geometry/technology, but still want a race bike.

That said, just discovered that Fox is still making a 32mm 120mm Factory fork for 2018. Being 165lb 6'0", unsure I "need" a 34mm Fork or even a 35mm RS Pike that was originally spec'd on this bike. The frame is Boost and I'll get a Boost fork.

Anyone have any direct ride experience between the two. Looks like 1/2lb or more weight difference too.

Thanks
    Either go with the 34 or the Pike. They will track a heck of a lot better through rocks than a 32. I went from 32 to a 36 (different bikes but still) and whereas before hitting large rocks would be nerve-wracking, it is now more of a point and shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

I own a Honzo ST and run a Fox 34 at 130mm. You should go with the 34 or the Pike, with an option to increase travel to 130 or even more. You may find the need to raise that front end given the low BB of the Honzo. I came from an XC hardtail 29er with a 32mm fork at 120mm, and this Honzo is not slowing me down at all and is way more fun in the tech stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks y'all! Great comments and they are much appreciated. Sounding like well wishes for a Fox 34 or Pike.

Wish I could have them both side-by-side to go ride, also with the 32 120mm. Part of me wonders why Fox even makes the 120mm 32 fork and/or I wonder how many they are selling? There is also part of me that wonders why a 120mm XC racing fork doesn't exist with a stronger presence. To me, there is a difference to what.. say.. someone is doing on a RS Pike or Fox 34 (with a lineup that starts at 120) and XC racing? Maybe I have it wrong (probably do!), but just my thinking at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks y'all! Great comments and they are much appreciated. Sounding like well wishes for a Fox 34 or Pike.

Wish I could have them both side-by-side to go ride, also with the 32 120mm. Part of me wonders why Fox even makes the 120mm 32 fork and/or I wonder how many they are selling? There is also part of me that wonders why a 120mm XC racing fork doesn't exist with a stronger presence. To me, there is a difference to what.. say.. someone is doing on a RS Pike or Fox 34 (with a lineup that starts at 120) and XC racing? Maybe I have it wrong (probably do!), but just my thinking at least.
    On the "limits" of what someone is doing with a Pike or 34 vs a 32/Sid, yes there is definitely a difference. I've been riding mtb for 22 years and even though I am far from a freerider/enduro/all terrain kind of guy, I definitely appreciate the added confidence from the 34 (I have one on the Honzo and the Ripley) and don't mind the added travel or weight when I'm finishing mid pack in the expert field.

If you're building a true xc race bike with priority on the race side, I'm not sure why you'd pick the Honzo (the CR Race comes with a 34, fwiw). If you want a fun bike that won't hold you back that much in an xc race and will be a blast, it's a good choice.

Review: Kona Honzo CR Trail DL – Dirt Rag

Honzo Carbon - Teaser on Vimeo

Post Thanks / Like

Part of me wonders why Fox even makes the 120mm 32 fork and/or I wonder how many they are selling?
    To me it starts to make sense on a hardtail if you're in the sub 140# weight category...depending on how you ride. Still in 29er form, that's a lot of leverage acting on those stanctions/crown even at 120mm.

Full squish bikes don't demand as much out of a fork as a hardtail does....the rear end does most of the impact absorption work that isn't redirecting your inertia, so you can run a skinnier fork and get away with more. On a hardtail you're relying solely on that fork for impacts while floating your rear end.
    Richard May

Moustache Cycles

Post Thanks / Like

Just throwing another option at you. MRP Ribbon. I just put one on a Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead (all mountain hardtail) and the fork is ridiculously good. Easily the equal of a Pike I have on another bike, with more and easier adjustment/tuning. The initial tune is a PITA do to several different interplaying variables, but once it's dialed it's a fantastic ride.

I don't know why anyone would ride a 32mm fork, unless XC racing was their only consideration (and even then ... ). Huge, noticeable difference. When I went from a 32mm RS to a Pike, the difference as instantly significant. More precise front end, more confidence inspiring, etc. Admittedly, the Pike is just a damn good fork so the difference was more than just upsizing.

I like Boost. It makes sense to me and I have Boost (front and rear) on both mountain bikes.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like

Noted. Will check that out too. Also, great points about a FS rig vs a HT rig.

On the note of race rigs.. wondering how many of these Kona will ultimately sell. Surely some jaws dropping with the RS1 spec on a Honzo for 2018:
    KONA BIKES | MTB | HONZO | Honzo CR Race

Thanks again for all the comments, VERY helpful!

Post Thanks / Like

Cane Creek Helm
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like

Been keeping an eye on the Helm, but only available in 27.5 for now. Did you hear anything? I am a big CaneCrick fan - having owned many products through the years. Was sad when they shut down their wheel production..

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    Cane Creek Helm

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is interested - I am told the Helm 29er will be April 2018, per CaneCreek.

Post Thanks / Like

As you are a pretty light guy, I'm just going o toss this out there, this is a beautiful fork:

Review: FOX 32 Step-Cast fork – Dirt Rag

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cane Creek Helm ? Do you guys love to be the guinea pigs ? From what I understand their first rear shock wasn't a reliable thing.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:58 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    I'm a big boy at 6'2" 190 and I find the 32 is fine (I have the fancy racey/XC FOX one and I can never remember their full names) BUT that's in 100mm. It is probably only my imagination and the grass is greener daydream but I have wondered about the 34s on occasion. I think at your weight 32 is a-OK but with longer travel, might be good to try the 34 out. I sourced my fork cheap on eBay. Don't regret it one bit.