Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 120mm 32 vs 34 Forks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 120mm 32 vs 34 Forks

Hmm, all this talk makes me think maybe I am unhappy with my 32. :)

Is it a big deal to go to 120mm travel on an allegedly 100mm bike?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the experts can chime in to correct me, but that should slack out your HT by 1deg and raise your BB a bit. I over-forked my Honzo from 120 to 140 didn't notice any negative effects on handling in my local terrain. YMMV.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It looks like that step-cast fork cannot be reduced to 100mm travel. Is this correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inbound >> Fox Shox 34 Float 120mm 15x100mm 51mm

Very excited about this. I should have good news and ride reports in a couple weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

All Fox 34's travel, beginning in 2016 I think, can be changed using their 110mm, 120mm, 130mm, and 140mm air shaft kits. I don't know about the newer Stepcast models FYI. This also applies to the Fox 32's and can be adjusted as low as 80mm. Link here for Fox's instructions.

My own experience with the 32's vs the 34's: The slight weight gain of the 34 over the 32 is noticeable but the performance gain over the two stanchion sizes literally outweighs (pun intended) the weight penalty. It's noticeably more solid in corners and through tech I've found. The 34 is a true trail fork. And the newer FIT4 damper has a lot more adjustment in the open mode than previously. It took me a handful of rides to tune it but once set up to my weight, conditions and riding style, I could not be happier.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shredô
    www.44bikes.comFlickr FacebookInstagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    My own experience with the 32's vs the 34's: The slight weight gain of the 34 over the 32 is noticeable but the performance gain over the two stanchion sizes literally outweighs (pun intended) the weight penalty. It's noticeably more solid in corners and through tech I've found.
    I haven't ridden a 34mm fork, but everyone (EVERYONE) I know who has all say it's a marked improvement over the 32, and well worth the weight gain.

Is it as much of an improvement as going from a QR to TA on a suspension fork? 'Cause that was night and day for me, first time going back to QR I stopped several times to make sure the QR was tight 'cause in hard corners it literally felt like the wheel was just folding over sideways!!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait til y'all see how a 36 feels.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I haven't ridden a 34mm fork, but everyone (EVERYONE) I know who has all say it's a marked improvement over the 32, and well worth the weight gain.

Is it as much of an improvement as going from a QR to TA on a suspension fork? 'Cause that was night and day for me, first time going back to QR I stopped several times to make sure the QR was tight 'cause in hard corners it literally felt like the wheel was just folding over sideways!!
    The marked improvement for me (FYI: I typically go 180-185lbs) was how it improved performance and the feel of how the bike handled through tech and hard corners. The 32 always felt a bit "washy" or "squirmy". The 34 just sticks to the trail and plows through your line you've chosen. So in terms of sure footed feel and power transfer of QR vs TA, the answer would be yes it was indeed a marked improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Wait til y'all see how a 36 feels.
    I've been tempted to try one but then again, the terrain around my neck of the woods just hasn't warranted it. I'm still of the mind where I try and get away with as little bike as possible. I'd have to look at the weight penalty. I know on my own Ti hardtail, the rear end of the bike is noticeably lighter than the front.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shredô
    www.44bikes.comFlickr FacebookInstagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    I've been tempted to try one but then again, the terrain around my neck of the woods just hasn't warranted it. I'm still of the mind where I try and get away with as little bike as possible. I'd have to look at the weight penalty. I know on my own Ti hardtail, the rear end of the bike is noticeably lighter than the front.
    Definitely for someone focused primarily on descents. It's just stiffer. Holds a line better over rough technical stuff. Also feels a bit harsh out of the box. But I can plow down stuff I previously had to pick my way down. I'm on the RC2 with HSC/LSC adjustment. I don't need a lockout because I'm not standing on the front end sprinting up hills. So I'd rather forgo the lockout and have the added traction. Also, who wants to lock their fork in its longest axle-to-crown/ slackest head angle setting for seated climbs? I'm probably going to upgrade the thing to the Grip2 damper. Little different feel and adds separate high/low speed rebound adjustments. I'm hearing good things.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just want someone to make a coil fork in a 36/lyrik chassis that isn't a 500$ PUSH upgrade

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice a difference between my old 34 and the pike with a bolt on thru axle

to be honest to take advantage of anything stiffer I'd have to get rid of the hardtail and move to a longer travel bike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the Fox 32 SC (100 mm) on my XC bike (specialized epic). The fork is so smooth and I never feel any flex even on rough so cal descents. I would not ride it off big drops, but on anything else it is awesome. For reference I am 6'3" and 175 lbs. I have an 34 (130 mm) on my trail bike and it is another league on rougher terrain and drops more than a foot or two. I am more of an XC person and prefer the 32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    i just want someone to make a coil fork in a 36/lyrik chassis that isn't a 500$ PUSH upgrade
    MRP offers a ribbon coil that is in that category. I was looking at one for a GG Smash but then bought a used sentinel instead to save some cash. The sentinel has a lyric that seems fine for now, will work on dialing in the setting then consider a Push or Vorsprung Coil if I think its needed.

On 32 vs 34, I have an Older RS Revelation 32mm fork and a pike(35mm) and there is a huge difference but it is hard to isolate the improved damper from the stiffness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can get a coil upgrade for my pike but donít think i want to go that far. I also donít want to stress returning it to stock when I inevitably break the CSU

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    Rub the bottle and the genie comes out.

HELM Coil 29 - Cane Creek Cycling Components

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12