Thread: VelocipedeSalon WOD: Workout of the day

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: VelocipedeSalon WOD: Workout of the day

VoTwosday

not up to doing 4 x 5 min or 5 x 4 min @ 380+ on a trainer after a full day at school. So an intermittent, work-matched interval set.

the first two are 5 x 1min @ 380+, :15 soft pedal recoveries. the second two are 1:15 @ 380+, :15 recoveries. these were on my 42x17 fixed gear trainer bike, so getting the power also means high revs.

same work, but a little more tolerable, and yes, the last two efforts of each set elicit VO2 max, so they sure do kinda suck.

another way to skin the cat

Untitled.jpg
    Robert Kendrick

my small corner of the poetry world:

http://robertleekendrick.net

recent book

https://irisbooks.com/product/what-o...th-brilliance/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOOFUS View Post
    same work, but a little more tolerable, and yes, the last two efforts of each set elicit VO2 max, so they sure do kinda suck.
    Can you talk about this a little bit more? How come only the last two efforts? How did you make this determination?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Pistol squats were supposed to be my goal for the winter. I just wanted to be able to do one good one per side. But I just haven't gotten my knees to that place yet and I spent more time rowing than working on the pistols.
    FWIW, it took me at least 2 years from beginning to try them until I could achieve a full pistol. My biggest problem was not knees (which are always an issues), but overall mobility in the lowest positions - once I started doing banded stretches to get my hips and thighs more mobile, I could finally achieve the full range of motion without falling over backwards at the bottom position.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    FWIW, it took me at least 2 years from beginning to try them until I could achieve a full pistol. My biggest problem was not knees (which are always an issues), but overall mobility in the lowest positions - once I started doing banded stretches to get my hips and thighs more mobile, I could finally achieve the full range of motion without falling over backwards at the bottom position.
    I'll also add that cycling a lot destroys my ability to do pistols as my thighs are perpetually tired once my miles start to go up making it much harder to keep the non-pressing leg straight out in front. I'm just starting to ramp up my miles, and, like clockwork, my pistols and L-sits and other stuff that requires raising my legs to the front are starting to go to s***.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    Can you talk about this a little bit more? How come only the last two efforts? How did you make this determination?
    sensations -- I've had VO2 max tests, and have a sense from intervals at what point I've hit VO2. For a continuous 4 min effort I usually hit it around 90-120 seconds, depending on conditioning, and what the power output is. On these, the death hammer was dropping at the start of the third 1min or 1:15 effort each set, and then I was hanging on for dear life.
    Robert Kendrick

recent book

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This time of year for VO2 work... I hate this time of year...

Last week did 3 sets of 5 x 90 sec 120% with 60 sec recovery on Tuesday (also VOTuesday's at my house) and 8 x 4 min at 108% on Thursday.

Dunno how or why I managed to actually complete those workouts.

FTP is 238w based on recent ramp/MAP test and that correlates well to expectations coming out of base.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOOFUS View Post
    For a continuous 4 min effort I usually hit it around 90-120 seconds, depending on conditioning, and what the power output is.
    This might be worth digging into a bit deeper as folks come out of winter and start doing VO2max and hill repeat work. When folks do VO2max work they are often looking at work intervals in the 1 - 4 minute range.

From what I've learned, for a good VO2max day you try to accumulate 12-18 minutes of total VO2max time. Depends on fitness, level of athlete, goals, etc. But if you are doing VO2max workouts you are probably training for racing and not just going for a ride.

An interesting thing for VO2max work is that the entire interval time is not stressing the VO2max system. For example, in a 3 minute period you might only get 2 min hitting the targeted systems.

A 5 x 3 workout at 115-125% sounds like 15 min of VO2 time but in this example it's only 10 min (5 efforts with 2 min hitting the targeted systems). To get near 15 min VO2 time you would need to add a couple more efforts making it a 7 x 3 workout (14 min @ VO2). Recovery time between intervals also matters.

Another part of this is power range. Some athletes lack pacing and end up doing anaerobic work for the first 20-40 seconds then dying. They might end up with a decent VO2max-like average power for 90-120 seconds but they didn't effectively target the VO2max system as they spent a portion of the interval well above, then died and ended up well under the power band for another portion.

I find VO2max work gives me a huge bang for the buck. It sucks and hate doing it but it pays off when I line up with a number on. Other very effective workouts are FTP over/unders and riding longer intervals at 102-107% for extended periods. Those three workouts plus one long ride with extended periods in the 80-90% (sweetspot) each week makes up the bulk of my build phase.

May have some of this a bit off on the VO2max but think it is what Robert was indicating. Correct / extend as useful for the group please!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    That's good to hear. A lot of my work was on mobility at the ankle and I was taking it pretty slow. I need to start practicing again.

I hurt my ribs a couple night ago so I think I have about a month of not too intense workouts. At least they don't bother me on the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more on VO2 nutz n boltz

all of these can elicit VO2 max and keep you there:

1) continuous intervals, even-paced: the classic Hickson protocol of 5-6 x 5 min intervals (4 x 5 for old guys). Or, 16-21 min of intervals that are between 3-4 minutes long.

2) intermittent intervals -- :30-2:00 efforts on short rest (:15-:30 -- the shorter the work interval, :15, for the 2:00 intervals, then :30). These would be done at 106-120% of FTP, depending on the number of work intervals. 5 x 1:00 @ 120% with :15 rest between each interval will leave you toasted after the last work bout; for 1:00 at 106%, you may have to do 12-15 work intervals to hit VO2 and then stay there for a while. Swimmers know these sets well -- 10 x 100, 10 x 200, etc..

3) continuous intervals where you go as hard as you can on each interval. power declines, but all watts are not created equal. As this study showed, athletes were still at VO2 max even though watts were dropping....

All-Out Intervals | Runner's World

Pacing, the missing piece of the puzzle to high-intensity interval training. - PubMed - NCBI

Which option you choose really depends on the demands of the event...intermittent efforts are like taking VO2 intensity pulls in a breakaway group. go-till-you-blow intervals replicate the dynamics of late-race surges on top of surges...choose wisely....
    Robert Kendrick

recent book