Thread: Need a new heart rate strap for Garmin, recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a new heart rate strap for Garmin, recommendations?

I've never like the Garmin branded chest strap for heart rate, and lo and behold, mine's crapped out. Is there anything on a compatible protocol that's better at a similar price?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need a new heart rate strap for Garmin, recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
    I've never like the Garmin branded chest strap for heart rate, and lo and behold, mine's crapped out. Is there anything on a compatible protocol that's better at a similar price?
    Get the wahoo ones. Nice comfy soft strap. Bluetooth and Ant+, spring for a little extra and get the X model which has built in memory to download your workout a the end if you want that feature.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Scosche Rhythm+ rechargeable optical HRM. It goes around your arm and works really well. I haven't had any issues with it, other than being annoyed when I am all dressed to go out and ride in my winter duds and I forgot to put it on, which means pulling my arm through my sleeve to get it around my bicep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    Get the wahoo ones. Nice comfy soft strap. Bluetooth and Ant+, spring for a little extra and get the X model which has built in memory to download your workout a the end if you want that feature.
    +1 on the wahoo.

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRZ View Post
    I have a Scosche Rhythm+ rechargeable optical HRM. It goes around your arm and works really well. I haven't had any issues with it, other than being annoyed when I am all dressed to go out and ride in my winter duds and I forgot to put it on, which means pulling my arm through my sleeve to get it around my bicep.
    I've thought about going this route. I've seen some reports that optical is just as accurate and responsive as the electrical chest strap, a few that say chest is still superior. I think I get "better" readings when using my Fenix 3 HR with a chest strap than with the optical sensor, but I don't know if that's specific to the way the Fenix optical sensor works or whether it's reflective of all opticals including the Schosche.

BTW, still sucks to have to semi undress to put on a chest strap when you've forgotten to do it first.

Post Thanks / Like

The Wahoo Tickr seems to have far less dropouts than the opticals I've tried (Apple Watch and the Mio) but the wrist mounted HR doohickeys are more convenient. I figure eventually those will become more accurate, perhaps by integrating some aspect of the Tickr-type sensors into the back of the wrist sensor?

Drift: I'd like to either have the Apple Watch pick up Ant+ compatibility or the newest Garmin speed and cadence sensors get Bluetooth compatibility. The only Bluetooth speed/cadence sensors I've seen are 2-in-1 arrangements that go on the rear non-drive-side chainstay and are clumsy/awkward to position safely and accurately (one heel kick away from the rear wheel.)
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

Polar straps are(?)/have been compatible with the garmin pod.

I got two on the recommendation of SteveP. They work great and have been more durable than the Garmin strap.

I've used a wahoo strap and sensor which also works great. I second that recommendation too.
    Zuzuís pedals

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on Polar strap combined with the Garmin pod.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like

i've used the schosche for a couple of years now...i hate wearing a monitor around my chest...far more comfortable for me as chest straps always have a tendency to slide down

i wear it above my elbow in the summer and below the elbow in the winter when i'm wearing long sleeves to help secure it in place

only downside is you have to charge it regularly (and there is no battery indicator)...i usually charge it up every 3-4 rides with my fenix watch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    i've used the schosche for a couple of years now...i hate wearing a monitor around my chest...far more comfortable for me as chest straps always have a tendency to slide down

i wear it above my elbow in the summer and below the elbow in the winter when i'm wearing long sleeves to help secure it in place

only downside is you have to charge it regularly (and there is no battery indicator)...i usually charge it up every 3-4 rides with my fenix watch
    Agree with the above. Have used Schosche for several years now. I always just put it in the recharger after I get home on a ride. Very accurate and much nicer to use (I put it on my forearm just below the elbow) than a chest monitor.

Post Thanks / Like

Another Schosche guy here. I download my Garmin 800 on Thursday and Sunday and charge the Schosche at the same time. More often if my rides approach the 8 hour total time between normal charges. I wear it above my bicep year round with the sensor on the inside. It's never bugged me, slid down, or chafed. I've compared it between there and my forearm and didn't see any difference. It transmits in ANT+ and Bluetooth so you can use it with a phone app. There is some lag but it's outlasted any "premium" Garmin strap I've tried.
    I heart burnt bikes.

Post Thanks / Like

Also another good point on the Scosche: I am a hirsute dude and my chest hair always made it hard for HR straps to find my heartbeat, unless I wetted the strap, which is always irritating and kinda gross. There's none of that with the Scosche.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an old Wahoo one, and it is great.

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted bluetooth and ant connectivity, so I went with the wahoo tickr. They have one that is fancier, didn't need that. Just like anything involving small electronic wireless-connected computers, I had problems with it at first. Then I realized that it was mostly my phone and other apps that were causing the problems. Taking that into account, it works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

wahoo tickr. love it. hated the stock Garmin one and the Wahoo is much more comfy; it's even in "forget it's there" territory after a little while. I've been using mine for about a year now on the same battery, which is way better than charging every couple rides. for optical/wrist-based ones, I tried the Mio but it's was pretty awful. it seemed that every time I really wanted to look at my heart rate - like while climbing - it was giving some obviously bogus value. or would die ten miles into the ride. never had a single issue like that (or otherwise) with the tickr.

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up the Wahoo. We'll see how it does tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendations guys!