Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Indoor Training with power using TrainerRoad or ????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Indoor Training with power using TrainerRoad or ????

Gotcha Lane.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to suffer in silence in a cool dark basement. The whir of the rollers and a puddle of sweat is my reward.

All you softies with your Zwifts and TrainerRoads and whatever's...

:-)

Post Thanks / Like

I want you behind me with a large oil soaked 2X4 when I do erg races.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I like to suffer in silence in a cool dark basement. The whir of the rollers and a puddle of sweat is my reward.

All you softies with your Zwifts and TrainerRoads and whatever's...

:-)

Post Thanks / Like

I figured this would be the place to ask some guidance. I'm facing a tough fall and winter after the summer with significantly less time to do any outdoor rides. I'm on a tight budget and I know nothing about these swifts and trainers/rollers. I've always rode outside or gone to a spinning class. What I'm after is a simple training sessions, sometimes with structure and sometimes just riding tempo/whatever to keep the legs from not switching off. I have an apple laptop, an android phone, a HR monitor and a bike to strap in or ride on a trainer/rollers. I don't have power meter. My main goal in training is for the CX season because that's what I love the most, but I'm riding road and MTB also just to enjoy the rides. It's about 50/50 between real training and just riding.

What should I get? I've done some searches and I figured maybe some Elite trainer with integrated PW and laptop to watch some races/training clips would be close, no?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daschund View Post
    What should I get? I've done some searches and I figured maybe some Elite trainer with integrated PW and laptop to watch some races/training clips would be close, no?
    Here's a shopping list based on what I found adequate on a tight budget.

Spare rear wheel that you can fit with a dedicated tire.

A dedicated tire. I can't imagine a real trainer tire works better than this. These are cheap too.
    Continental Ultra Sport Clincher Black/Red 7x23c

The book "Training and Racing With a Power Meter".
    Ignore the online beef between Coggan and the "modern" coaches. It's good enough for people like us.
    EDIT: Also check out "The Cyclist's Training Bible"

6 months of TrainerRoad subscription
    You can suspend your account after CX season. Look over their training plans. They have plans to suit various levels of time commitment. Some of their workouts seem needlessly complex. I think it's just to provide more variety.

A simple mag trainer. (see trainerroad for a compatibility list)
    They work well enough and they are not too precious to take to the race to warmup and cool down on.

A speed/cadence sensor to use virtual power in trainerroad
    Get one that has bluetooth and ant+ and you'll be set.

If your laptop or phone does not do bluetooth 4.0 you'll need one of these things:
    Garmin Mini Micro USB Ant Stick 1 158 Forerunner Vivofit Fr Swim Ant | eBay
    Zuzuís pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Jeffrey, that was really helpful and guided me to right road (a virtual one). I may get a Tacx Vortex Smart since it speaks directly with TrainerRoad and has PM built in, so I wouldn't need to buy more dongles.

I'm already familiar with the Training Bible and it has been a real help, but I'm definitely getting the PM-book to confuse me a bit more :).

Strange how number-centered this subject is when using google to find out what's going on. It's good to have a place like this where people use high-tech stuff all day long but still keep it real with not getting into the number banter too much.

Post Thanks / Like

since there is some discussion here concerning zwift, and i'm interested in trying it this winter:

i see a recommendation from tall guy for the wahoo snap, and now am seeing one for the tacx vortex smart, which is significantly cheaper.

question: what is the least expensive trainer with power measurement that will basically talk directly to zwift? the tacx looks to be about $500 and done?

Post Thanks / Like

Boss, I think you still need a bluetooth dongle. I happen to have one laying around that come with my running watch. I just re-read dcrainmaker's review and the Tacx does looks like a good move: Tacx Rolls out open ANT+ Trainer Profile support, Zwift/TrainerRoad/Kinomap follow | DC Rainmaker I've never ridden a Tacx so no clue how they "feel". I will vouch for the Wahoo Snap as having a terrific feel. For comparison if a Computrainer was the Gold Standard than Wahoo would kick it straight to the curb.

Bet the Tacx is great, they are very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    since there is some discussion here concerning zwift, and i'm interested in trying it this winter:

i see a recommendation from tall guy for the wahoo snap, and now am seeing one for the tacx vortex smart, which is significantly cheaper.

question: what is the least expensive trainer with power measurement that will basically talk directly to zwift? the tacx looks to be about $500 and done?

Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot of discussion about Tacx and it seems that people are having some problems with it as some others just ride and it works. Power readings could be way off or could be about right, based on the settings on the wheel and system which I know nothing about.

I'm based in EU so I could buy a Vortex Smart at around 300€, which is significantly cheaper than Wahoo Snap which was also on my list. Tacx offers an ANT+ FE-C update to any of their smart trainers without any hassle. Elite would be another one but it doesn't support ANT+ FE-C, yet, and according to DCR they have been giving false promises to delivers updates. That's something I really don't want to be around, waiting some maybe upcoming updates to have a working trainer.

After a night of aggressive googling I'd buy the Wahoo Snap if I had the money. But I don't so I'm cheap skating towards the Tacx.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks TooTall and Daschund. I'm in no hurry to grab one of these as I wont use it until the weather starts to turn bad, so I am likely just going to wait for a sale to pop up on the tacx, and keep my eye on the recent reviews. Good discussion, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

For dedicated indoor training nothing beats a dedicated indoor training bike. Doesn't need to be fancy as you are going to sweat it up and in general beat the poop out of it.

Get a wired SRM (Do battery changes and slope DIY - easy peasy with minimal skills). Or a power tap rear wheel and get used to doing bearing swaps (also easy). Used deals on either of those PMs abound.

Seem to recall Doofus (Robert) saying he had a dedicated indoor bike and that it was single speed. Eliminates derailleurs, shifters and brakes. With some thinking and cadence flexibility single will work just fine for indoor work (e.g. its a smart move; cheap and uncomplicated).

I like Rollers. eMotions to be specific. They are about 2x the cost of a Kurt but I find them far more enjoyable to train on. "Indoor" is a year round thing for me not just winter. No tricks, no online fun, just map out the intervals and do it.

That said.... The Wahoo and one of the online virtual race stuff looks like a lot of fun and motivation if you are looking for 2, 3, 4 hour sessions.

Question - anyone here gotten the eMotion ERG set-up yet? It was in beta and I think now generally available. Their website is terrible and haven't seen any proper reviews of that function yet. For roller nuts its a neat idea.

--Mark

Post Thanks / Like

The trainer road podcast has a bunch of helpful discussion on trainer recommendations. Gold standard is the Kickr, then Snap. I believe they said to stay away from mag and that there was a great Kurt Kinetic for virtual power.. I'll try to find the episode.

I got a Kickr a month or so ago and have been doing Zwift (fun) and trainer road (super useful). The one hour to 90 minute trainer road interval workouts are pretty damn incredible. I love that they explain what the intervals are doing and give you tips all the way through the session. And you can have the workout info on the bottom of your screen while you watch netflix/youtube on the majority of the screen. I love it and can't wait to see how it affects my training. I'm doing a short duration (vo2 max) program right now, I'm feeling like it will really help. Also, it hurts.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a great deal on a Tacx Vortex on Amazon Wharehouse and suggest people interested in those keep an eye out because they didn't seem to ever go on sale last year. My LBS couldn't get enough of them. I used it with Trainer Road for a little bit and my wife used it with Zwift. It worked well with both.

A little OT but I really like the Trainer Road podcast. I don't race and think using a trainer in the summer is crazy but I still like the podcast a lot. I listen when I'm getting ready to work out and it motivates me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    "...I'm real real real interested using TruTrainer or InsideRide (I have both) with TrainerRoad..."
    What is the verdict (so far, anyway) on which rollers pair better with Zwift?
    I am contemplating top-of-the-line InsideRide so I can join virtual group rides.
    My understanding is resistance is automagically variable according to the Zwift route selected?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    What is the verdict (so far, anyway) on which rollers pair better with Zwift?
    I am contemplating top-of-the-line InsideRide so I can join virtual group rides.
    My understanding is resistance is automagically variable according to the Zwift route selected?
    My experience is using a PM with rollers. I've switched to using wahoo snap exclusively for indoor misery riding.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone using "smartrollers" like the new upgraded InsideRide with the Zwift tool?

Inside Ride "Smart Resistance Control" update — Inside Ride

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Kickr. Efficient, quiet, simple.

What do you all like about zwift vs. Trainerroad?

For me, I've used TrainerRoad, like the plans (the sweet spot base is great), and the workout builder is much easier than anything else I've seen.

What about Zwift though? Is it just a way to do group rides? There's certainly value in that for training -- and something I'm definitely lacking -- but does it have the ability to build workouts as part of a plan in addition to the group rides?
    Andy

RAI Reporter: "Did you have it in mind to go for the win today?"
    Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy the group rides and races on Zwift, but the workouts creator is what is impressing me the most. I get a lot more done on Zwift then when I use TR or another program. I don't know why, I just enjoy it more. It is also keeping me honest on recovery rides and Zone 2 rides.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrevich4 View Post
    I love my Kickr. Efficient, quiet, simple.

What do you all like about zwift vs. Trainerroad?

For me, I've used TrainerRoad, like the plans (the sweet spot base is great), and the workout builder is much easier than anything else I've seen.

What about Zwift though? Is it just a way to do group rides? There's certainly value in that for training -- and something I'm definitely lacking -- but does it have the ability to build workouts as part of a plan in addition to the group rides?
    I have not used TrainerRoad but get the concept.
    In addition to the training plans and the ability to make your own, Zwift allows you to ride 'terrain' provided you have a smart trainer (like your Kickr). This means that resistance changes depending on where you are...much like riding outside. In order words, there is an outside force (the terrain) that is altering the required effort. You can mix that with whatever work out you want to accomplish. And the designed terrain generally has hills that just so happen to correlate to traditional interval times. For example there are hills that are 8-10 minutes as well as ~20 minutes. The guys behind Zwift understand cycling and training to have designed the environments this way.

It also plays into a racer's psyche of wanting to chase people down, hang with a group, etc. To a certain extent you have to be careful not to fall into this if you are just trying to get a spin in.

So far I am very impressed by Zwift. And this is coming form a guy that avoids video games (I have zero interest in them).
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like

Great. Suspended with TrainerRoad (which was super easy... another one in the win column for them) and will see how Zwift goes over this 7 day trial.
    Andy

RAI Reporter: "Did you have it in mind to go for the win today?"
    Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"