User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Wagyu Beef

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lakeland,Fl
    Posts
    842
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Wagyu Beef

    Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Correct. Kobe beef cannot be from anywhere other than the Kobe area (Hyogo prefecture). Furthermore, any "Kobe" stuff being offered to the general public outside of Japan needs to be treated with suspicion as I do not believe there is enough production for some of it to be exported through commercial channels and end up at some retailer or restaurant down the road.

    Laker Star Kobe Bryant Sues Japanese City Over Naming Rights To High-End Beef | L.A. Weekly
    I was incredulous reading this until I looked for the date of publication. Nice job.
    Do they do April Fools Day in Belgium?



    Mike
    Mike Noble

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Wagyu Beef

    Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    I was incredulous reading this until I looked for the date of publication. Nice job.
    Do they do April Fools Day in Belgium?



    Mike
    I thought the lawyer's name was a master stroke.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas - downtown
    Posts
    2,079
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Wagyu Beef

    Texas Craft 'Wagyu'. This may not technically be considered wagyu but its as good as anything I've ever had anywhere. And the guy that raises the cows, also hand delivers it to me and a buddy.

    Words can't describe this beef..... waaaaag.jpg.wag2.jpg
     

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,253
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Wagyu Beef

    we have a local producer of imported wagyu here in S Oregon. I will be buying half a cow fomr them in the spring. The quality of the meat combined with the atention given to the animals makes this one of the finest animal proteins on the planet to eat. mmmmmmm

    so far my favorite way to prepare it has been in the style of Hida, Japan.

    first soak a couple magnolia leaves in water or dashi or?
    procure the finest quality miso you can
    cut wagyu into thin strips
    chop some leeks or bunching/green onions
    Prepare a fire or very very hot cast iron pan
    place miso onto magnolia leaf, place on fire or pan, and grill beef on this to your liking with leeks for aromtaics and flavor.

    eat with a dash of miso paste and prepare to drool
    Matt Zilliox

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Wagyu Beef

    Technically, what you are eating is 'WASHUGYU' which is Wagyu bull crossed with black angus and raised in the US. It's good and way more affordable than true Wagyu. When I moved back from Tokyo, there was a Japanese butcher on Great Jones Street and he explained all the details about the difference. If you know the Japanese, you know how the details matter. You should see the Japanese grading system for wagyu. (there are 12 grades just for marbling, followed by color, texture and finally luster of fat). Price goes up accordingly.

    HOBA MISO which is the grilled miso on magnolia leaf that Takayama is famous for is incredibly good for breakfast. When we stayed at ryokan's in Takayama, I always enjoyed it as part of breakfast. Grilled miso, some grilled salmon, tofu, japanese pickles (tsukemono) and rice. Awesome way to start the day.

    If you have a cold basement or cellar, you should try making your own Miso. It is not hard as long as you can get Koji.
     

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,253
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Wagyu Beef

    Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Technically, what you are eating is 'WASHUGYU' which is Wagyu bull crossed with black angus and raised in the US. It's good and way more affordable than true Wagyu. When I moved back from Tokyo, there was a Japanese butcher on Great Jones Street and he explained all the details about the difference. If you know the Japanese, you know how the details matter. You should see the Japanese grading system for wagyu. (there are 12 grades just for marbling, followed by color, texture and finally luster of fat). Price goes up accordingly.

    HOBA MISO which is the grilled miso on magnolia leaf that Takayama is famous for is incredibly good for breakfast. When we stayed at ryokan's in Takayama, I always enjoyed it as part of breakfast. Grilled miso, some grilled salmon, tofu, japanese pickles (tsukemono) and rice. Awesome way to start the day.

    If you have a cold basement or cellar, you should try making your own Miso. It is not hard as long as you can get Koji.
    Our Ranch here has not crossed their cows with angus cows, its pure Japanese lines, but it is correct that they are probably not quite putting in all of the details to create what is know as wagyu in Japan. the special thing about the Wagyu cattle itself is they carry fat different than other cattle, and the fat is healthier. techniques used to raise them are the bonus beyond their physical reality.
    https://pacificroguewagyu.wixsite.co...u/our-genetics

    its lovely meat, as good as the wagyu i had in Japan (never paid top price, but ate the damn good stuff) but not quite as good as Hida Beef
    Also, ill be further training with some chefs earliy this year who make many styles of miso and other japanese ferments. very excited
    Matt Zilliox

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,018
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Wagyu Beef

    Curious to give it a try if the opportunity presents itself while traveling or otherwise.
    I could easily become vegetarian overnight, yet the stories of this beef are intriguing.
     

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,253
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Wagyu Beef

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    Curious to give it a try if the opportunity presents itself while traveling or otherwise.
    I could easily become vegetarian overnight, yet the stories of this beef are intriguing.
    Same here, I dont eat meat that isnt locally raised and even then i minimize meat consumption, maybe 4-5 times per month, but this stuff is special. we had ti for my wife's 40th and i still have a few steaks in the freezer for New Years. if you are so inclined may i recommend Crowdcow? you can get real wagyu, or USA grown wagyu, or corsses. they specialize in high end meats. ive not used them just yet, but the farm i use uses them and said if they are ever out, go to crowd cow to take care of me.
    Matt Zilliox

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Wagyu Beef

    I used to go to Kyoto a few times for work. Lovely place. My host took his hospitality seriously, out of pride and generosity. We went out one evening, and he said let's have the special beef. He also ordered a nice bottle of claret. I had been given the guest menu, which does not have prices on it, but I got the idea. On the whole, the Japanese are excellent hosts. When he came over to London I took him to my favourite local Italian which is wonderful, full of life, spaghetti and Sassicia.
     

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Beef enchiladas help
    By JoB in forum Cooks - Epicureans - Toque-istas
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-29-2013, 04:30 PM
  2. Beef Steak
    By WadePatton in forum Cooks - Epicureans - Toque-istas
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-28-2013, 02:31 PM
  3. Beef stew: What have you got?
    By echelon_john in forum Cooks - Epicureans - Toque-istas
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 08:43 PM
  4. American Beef
    By Saab2000 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-28-2008, 05:10 PM
  5. Scott-American Beef?
    By swoop in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-27-2008, 10:55 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •