User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pizza stone? Why do mine shatter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pizza stone? Why do mine shatter?

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Many folks will tell you to use wood for loading, because the dough doesn't stick as much as it does to aluminum. And an aluminum for unloading, 'cause the wooden ones are too thick to slip under the dough.

Me, I use one made out of skate park ramp material. I don't have room to keep two peels stored away somewhere.
    I gave up my nice wood peel when we downsized into our BIG tiny house and have been using a small 3 side sheet pan(serves multiple function) and have noticed it requires considerable more dusting but I've somewhat gotten use to it and just try and move mush faster. But there has been in increase in pizza making now that Michelle has found vegan cheeses that don't taste like ass or are made form soy.

FWIW I never had issues pulling with a wood peel. Good spring in the dough tends to have a nice radii as the edge meeting the stone.

Not a fan of cornmeal under my pizzas. I like my grits in a bowl/on a plate with butter, salt and pepper. But that's another thread.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" óJustin Robinson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using stainless steel and like it better than a stone. I load with a wood peel and semolina, which I find superior to corn meal, which is too crunchy when you bite into some that sticks to the underside of the pizza. I sometimes unload with a steel peel, e specially if I'm making multiple pies.

I bought a food grade stainless steel "stone" out of concern with impurities in non food grade steels, but I do wonder if this concern has validity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well after reading this thread having never before considered steel(I missed that revolution), did some reading and then searching for a 1/4"-3/8" baking steel(hassle free) that would fit my rather small oven. Found nothing so I sent a DXF of what I wanted to my waterjet guy down the road. For $50 I got a beautiful 3/8" A36 plate with 1/2" radii corners and a nice 3/4" hole in one corner. Super clean edges. Removed mill scale in 10min with a 4" 36grit flap wheel followed by an 80grit it is currently in the oven at 425f for its 3rd seasoning cycle. It is already very slick and looking good. I'll probably leave at at 3 cycles.

No knead ferment started last night. I'll report back over the weekend perhaps if I don't experience a 'death by pizza' before then.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" óJustin Robinson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I danced around the idea of getting a steel, i have a cheapie (like $8 at HEB) stone that i keep in the oven all the time. It's still going fine so...
    I can get a pretty legit pizza on the stone and all that...i also really like to do deep dish with lots of olive oil in the pan similar to this (we call it faux via313)
    Sicilian Pizza With Pepperoni and Spicy Tomato Sauce Recipe | Serious Eats

i just make a full batch of dough and do both pies!!
    even did some focaccia bread this last time.
    basically a great week, ate pizza/focaccia for 3 or 4 days, bike commuted 4 days, got an older bike out to get re-aquainted with and my metabolism is feeling pretty fast too...