User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Coffee with a Jet Boil or an Aeropress.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    429
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Coffee with a Jet Boil or an Aeropress.

    So one thing I've been meaning to do for a long time... figure out a way to make better coffee while I am in the woods. Since I have some time to myself now, I guess I can figure this out!

    I have a JetBoil... well actually the MSR equivalent, but you get the drift. I have the French Press gadget for it, but I can't say that I am too impressed with that. I also have an Aeropress... but the only thing I would use the Aeropress for is making coffee. It takes up space. Could also go back to old reliable PocketRocket stove and a pot, and figure out a way to pack in the aeropress...

    Decisions.

    I guess I'm asking... what do the Great Minds of Our Generation do to make coffee when you're trying to pack as little stuff as possible?
     

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coffee with a Jet Boil or an Aeropress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    So one thing I've been meaning to do for a long time... figure out a way to make better coffee while I am in the woods. Since I have some time to myself now, I guess I can figure this out!

    I have a JetBoil... well actually the MSR equivalent, but you get the drift. I have the French Press gadget for it, but I can't say that I am too impressed with that. I also have an Aeropress... but the only thing I would use the Aeropress for is making coffee. It takes up space. Could also go back to old reliable PocketRocket stove and a pot, and figure out a way to pack in the aeropress...

    Decisions.

    I guess I'm asking... what do the Great Minds of Our Generation do to make coffee when you're trying to pack as little stuff as possible?
    aero press, pre grind coffee, put in plastic baggie, stuff into aeropress, no extra space taken really, just the space for coffee youd pack anyway.
    Matt Zilliox

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lanesborough, MA
    Posts
    2,285
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coffee with a Jet Boil or an Aeropress.

    I like mine drip, so I go the whole hog. I've got an old liter Nalgene bottle (the Lexan kind) that I cut the top off to make a carafe. An old #4 filter holder fits right into it.

    If I'm not bringing all that, Starbucks instant, double strength, tastes ok and gets the job done.
     

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coffee with a Jet Boil or an Aeropress.

    They've got that new aeropress out too that's just a little bit smaller than the old one. I drink a lot of French Press and Pour Over around the house but I like the aeropress for travel. I find it easier and takes less water to clean than the other options, the filters are small and can be reused. Sometimes I pre-grind if I'm really cramped for space but when I can I bring along the hand grinder.
     

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,025
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coffee with a Jet Boil or an Aeropress.

    i'm a pour over man, just ordered a miir pourigami. brliilant piece of kit. it's three powder coated stainless plates that fit together to form a pour over dripper. either a mini alcohol stove or pocket rocket provide the heat. nesting pot/mug for boiling and drinking.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    429
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coffee with a Jet Boil or an Aeropress.

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    i'm a pour over man, just ordered a miir pourigami. brliilant piece of kit. it's three powder coated stainless plates that fit together to form a pour over dripper. either a mini alcohol stove or pocket rocket provide the heat. nesting pot/mug for boiling and drinking.
    Yarn | That's a hell of an idea. ~ Major League (1989) | Video clips by quotes, clip | 3b524d74-81e-493a-8634-2548643d8eb5 | 紗

    I can make that at home. Total cost, $0. I'll give it a shot and report back!
     

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coffee with a Jet Boil or an Aeropress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    So one thing I've been meaning to do for a long time... figure out a way to make better coffee while I am in the woods. Since I have some time to myself now, I guess I can figure this out!

    I have a JetBoil... well actually the MSR equivalent, but you get the drift. I have the French Press gadget for it, but I can't say that I am too impressed with that. I also have an Aeropress... but the only thing I would use the Aeropress for is making coffee. It takes up space. Could also go back to old reliable PocketRocket stove and a pot, and figure out a way to pack in the aeropress...

    Decisions.

    I guess I'm asking... what do the Great Minds of Our Generation do to make coffee when you're trying to pack as little stuff as possible?
    Drew I've been doing this for several day now. I stop someplace that is out of the wind and sight. Crank up my ancient whisperlite stove and use my Mokapot to make a killer cuppa. I pack a small amount of water, pre-load the mokapot with grounds, carry a small thermos for the coffee. I've got the same thing I make at home in about 10 mins. and I get to play with fire. Win win.

    c1.jpg

    c2.jpg

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    243
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coffee with a Jet Boil or an Aeropress.

    Jetboil and an Aeropress with the grounds already inside, (in an enclosed bag if needed) and I'm ready to go. That has always been my go-to, even at home sometimes.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    DURHAM, North Cackalacky
    Posts
    1,810
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coffee with a Jet Boil or an Aeropress.

    Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    aero press, pre grind coffee, put in plastic baggie, stuff into aeropress, no extra space taken really, just the space for coffee youd pack anyway.
    Exactly what I would suggest. Besides a good book and a hammock, any campsite needs a luxury or two, and the aeropress is worth its weight in delicious coffee. There's really no cup of coffee that good that's not from a La Marzocco. Don't nobody come at me with anything about a pour-over.
     

Similar Threads

  1. Coffee
    By vertical_doug in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2013, 10:33 AM
  2. OT coffee again
    By crumpton in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 12-24-2012, 11:47 AM
  3. OT: Coffee & Aeropress
    By jimi in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2010, 02:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •