Thread: Chef Knives?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Chef Knives?

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    So I just got a new knife, my first custom knife, from Joey at JB Knifeworks in Buford, GA (where I grew up). He's a co-owner of Pop's Knife Supply, where they sell materials to knife makers.

8" blade, S35VN steel, 3/32" blade stock, ground nice and thin with just a bit of a convex grind near the edge, and the tiniest bolster ever. Handle liners are natural micarta with tiffany blue G10 pin stripes under 'delorean grey' G10 handles and micarta pins.
    That's some pretty work. Did he give you a hardness? I know it's a bit thicker than your Japanese made blade, but I'm always nervous seeing fine chefs knives around bones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Chef Knives?

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    So I just got a new knife, my first custom knife, from Joey at JB Knifeworks in Buford, GA (where I grew up). He's a co-owner of Pop's Knife Supply, where they sell materials to knife makers.

8" blade, S35VN steel, 3/32" blade stock, ground nice and thin with just a bit of a convex grind near the edge, and the tiniest bolster ever. Handle liners are natural micarta with tiffany blue G10 pin stripes under 'delorean grey' G10 handles and micarta pins.

Picked it up Saturday morning, haven't used it a lot yet, but, so far I really like it. Cuts GREAT, and the balance is a bit more towards the handle so the blade feels really light in the hand. More thoughts later once I get some real use on it.

...and a bit thicker than the Takamura. This is exactly what I wanted FWIW. I may thin the handle behind the heel of the blade...because it's so thick I find myself choking up a lot more in a pinch grip than with my other knives. I'm not sure if that's really a problem tho....gonna get a lot more time with it before I go grinding anything haha. But it's definitely a bigger meatier handle than the others.

To my SoGa neighbor; sweet knife; sweet knife collection! And....ah.....when is dinner?? Funny thing is that there probably exists a 99% dirt road route that would get from Tally to you. I can smell the chicken.

Update to my knife purchase: I am liking the gyuto: https://bernalcutlery.com/collection...36251403583640 . I haven't much to compare it to but it's sharp as hell and I haven't needed to touch it up. I'm happy with it and very glad I waterproofed the handle.

More interesting, to me at least, is that I snagged this little guy at the same time and I like it a lot; a lot more than our other paring knives (which are quite sharp now...but the shape of the Pallares is what I favor). I water proofed the handle/tang interface too: https://bernalcutlery.com/collection...carbon-boxwood

So, there you have it.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011