User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: AeroPress vs Pour Over

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default AeroPress vs Pour Over

    Today I was a bit bored! so, I decided on experimenting a bit.

    I knew that the coffee made the Turkish way, and by using a Moka pot were both very distinct in flavor from not only each other but any other method, but I couldn't find that distinction by memory between the AeroPress and a Pour Over, so I did something not in my usual way of making coffee.

    I usually I don't measure anything when I make coffee, I like to have flavors change on me due to inaccurate measurements, but this time I decided to measure right down to the gram of coffee being used with equal amounts being used in each maker, using the same coffee, I also used the exact same amount of water, and I used the grinds recommended for each type, fine for the AeroPress and medium fine for the Pour Over, heated up the water one cup of water than divided the cup into 1/2 cups just to see if there was a taste difference. I use my AeroPress like a French Press, I stir the coffee gently like the AeroPress and the French Press instructions say to do, but then I let it set for 4 minutes like French Press has to, which was about as long as it took me to slowly pour the hot water over the coffee in the Pour Over maker. What I discovered was interesting, or at least I think it's interesting! LOL!!

    The one thing to note is that the Pour Over was slightly cooler when it came time to taste them, so I heated it back up for about 10 seconds in the microwave which came out real close to the temp of the AeroPress just to make sure I wouldn't get a temp variance where I might prefer one over the other.

    So, what happened you scream? I could not distinguish any difference between the two!

    Maybe some of you that have those two methods can try this experiment with those two coffee makers and tell us what you think. But as far as I'm concern there was no difference, or if there was it was so minute, I couldn't taste it with my 68-year-old taste buds. I will probably retire the AeroPress since my Pour Over looks a bit nicer on the countertop.

    Let the taste testing begin.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    28,121
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    "Pour Over looks a bit nicer on the countertop."

    Looks matter. I'll stop there.

    FWIIW How you treat each method, whatever that is, really matters. Making a really freakin' good cup of coffee does take a bit of rocket science. Also, we know this for fact, you can make incredible coffee with the dumbest methods it only takes some skill and consistency.

    One of my favorite "wow" coffee drinks is a ridiculously simple "Flair" espresso press. I got that thing when they first came out and faff'd about thinking it was not great. All it took was a good grind, measured doses and a bit of thermodynamic management and holy cow what a great shot.

    I like your approach.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    We have a Moka pot, a Chemex, and a French press, in conjunction with a Capresso burr grinder. Most days I go with the French press, but lately I've been using the Chemex more. The Moka pot sees less use, probably because it is aluminum. Although I'm now hearing that the link between aluminum and Alzheimer's may be unfounded.

    Hmm, I may have to break out all three soon, and do a side-by-side taste-test comparison. And then maybe go split a whole lot of wood, haha.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    2,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    I'm with you, I have a hard time telling an Aeropress cup from a pourover, at least when it's me making it. Both methods make a great cup of coffee.
    steve cortez

    FNG

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    2,889
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    I was in happy land with a V60 as my daily driver until EF cycling's marketing and communication's director (Matthew Beaudin) shouted how superior the Kalita Wave is on one of my instagram posts. His comment was left field so I took a flyer and ordered the Kalita Wave. I told him I was pouring mind blowing cups of coffee with my V60 but now I'm in pour over heaven with the Kalita Wave. What's best is choosing between the two, but I'm baffled how each brewer produces remarkably different results.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    SC PA
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    Interesting. do you use the Kalita filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    I was in happy land with a V60 as my daily driver until EF cycling's marketing and communication's director (Matthew Beaudin) shouted how superior the Kalita Wave is on one of my instagram posts. His comment was left field so I took a flyer and ordered the Kalita Wave. I told him I was pouring mind blowing cups of coffee with my V60 but now I'm in pour over heaven with the Kalita Wave. What's best is choosing between the two, but I'm baffled how each brewer produces remarkably different results.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    2,889
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    Interesting. do you use the Kalita filters?
    I do but don't let them put you off. I believe any flat bottom filter will work but I haven't experimented because offerings are limited where I am. I think I bought 100 filters for 8 euros (which is twice what I pay for Hario V60s from Japan). I brew 200ml cups so go for the small brewer and filters.

    Honestly, I was in love with the V60 but the Kalita Wave is as good or better. What I like is I subscribe for 2 250g bags of coffee a month. Last month one coffee was dialed with the V60 but I couldn't get a second bag close to drinkable till I kept messing around and nailed it using the Kalita Wave.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    SC PA
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    Thanks! (yeah, I'd never seen a flat bottom filter until I moved to the US.)

    Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    I do but don't let them put you off. I believe any flat bottom filter will work but I haven't experimented because offerings are limited where I am. I think I bought 100 filters for 8 euros (which is twice what I pay for Hario V60s from Japan). I brew 200ml cups so go for the small brewer and filters.

    Honestly, I was in love with the V60 but the Kalita Wave is as good or better. What I like is I subscribe for 2 250g bags of coffee a month. Last month one coffee was dialed with the V60 but I couldn't get a second bag close to drinkable till I kept messing around and nailed it using the Kalita Wave.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyace View Post
    We have a Moka pot, a Chemex, and a French press, in conjunction with a Capresso burr grinder. Most days I go with the French press, but lately I've been using the Chemex more. The Moka pot sees less use, probably because it is aluminum. Although I'm now hearing that the link between aluminum and Alzheimer's may be unfounded.

    Hmm, I may have to break out all three soon, and do a side-by-side taste-test comparison. And then maybe go split a whole lot of wood, haha.
    I have an AL Moka pot myself, the problem with these AL ones is that the coffee acid eventually eats the coating they put on the AL then the AL will breakdown into the coffee, not sure if that's a problem but I don't want AL in my coffee or food, so I now have a stainless steel Moka pot, it cleans up a lot nicer too than the AL ones. The stainless steel ones are bit more expensive but the one I got only cost me $39 and it got high reviews on Amazon.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Austin & Bentonville
    Posts
    1,917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    I usually I don't measure anything when I make coffee, I like to have flavors change on me due to inaccurate measurements, but this time I decided to measure right down to the gram of coffee being used with equal amounts being used in each maker, using the same coffee, I also used the exact same amount of water, and I used the grinds recommended for each type, fine for the AeroPress and medium fine for the Pour Over, heated up the water one cup of water than divided the cup into 1/2 cups just to see if there was a taste difference. I use my AeroPress like a French Press, I stir the coffee gently like the AeroPress and the French Press instructions say to do, but then I let it set for 4 minutes like French Press has to, which was about as long as it took me to slowly pour the hot water over the coffee in the Pour Over maker. What I discovered was interesting, or at least I think it's interesting! LOL!!

    The one thing to note is that the Pour Over was slightly cooler when it came time to taste them, so I heated it back up for about 10 seconds in the microwave which came out real close to the temp of the AeroPress just to make sure I wouldn't get a temp variance where I might prefer one over the other.
    In my experience, a 4 min steep time is too long for an AeroPress; the pressure that is part of the extraction lowers the time required vs infusion techniques like French Press. And also different compared to a drip technique like pour-over. I'm not saying I can tell the difference in a blind taste test, but if one wants to compare the techniques it would be best to use the optimal technique (including dwell time) for each method.

    If you want to fully geek out on this stuff, James Hoffman's videos are highly recommended. Three of my favs are...






  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    I was in happy land with a V60 as my daily driver until EF cycling's marketing and communication's director (Matthew Beaudin) shouted how superior the Kalita Wave is on one of my instagram posts. His comment was left field so I took a flyer and ordered the Kalita Wave. I told him I was pouring mind blowing cups of coffee with my V60 but now I'm in pour over heaven with the Kalita Wave. What's best is choosing between the two, but I'm baffled how each brewer produces remarkably different results.
    https://sipcoffeehouse.com/hario-v60...n%20your%20cup.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    I watched the Hoffman video for the AeroPress I don't get bitter coffee the way I do it either, I treat it like a French Press, and I get good results, but I will try it like Hoffman did and see what happens. Problem is with videos on how to make coffee, in this case with the AeroPress, there are 100's of these videos and each have their own way, so it really boils down to what method you think tastes the best, you may like Hoffman's method but someone else may not. Keep in mind that people like Hoffman are making money on their videos, so it behooves them to be different to get viewers and subscribers. I've played, as Hoffman suggests doing, with several different ways to use it and I settled in on the treating it like a French Press, including the grind. BUT, the French Press makes a stronger flavored cup of coffee, not sure why, some say it's due to the filter the AeroPress uses is removing the oil, continue reading below.

    I'll also have to try that method of pour over he does too.
    I did find another use for the AeroPress, I also like to make Turkish coffee, but that method leaves a lot of grinds and sentiment in the coffee, so I pour the finished Turkish coffee into the AeroPress than press it through so the filter takes out all the particles. In the above paragraph I said that the French Press coffee has a stronger taste than the AeroPress does, and that could be due to the filter taking out the oil, problem is, when I filter my Turkish coffee I don't notice a weaker taste, so I don't think the filter is changing the taste towards the weaker side.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    I have an AL Moka pot myself, the problem with these AL ones is that the coffee acid eventually eats the coating they put on the AL then the AL will breakdown into the coffee, not sure if that's a problem but I don't want AL in my coffee or food, so I now have a stainless steel Moka pot, it cleans up a lot nicer too than the AL ones. The stainless steel ones are bit more expensive but the one I got only cost me $39 and it got high reviews on Amazon.
    Yeah, that's definitely a concern for me. Which stainless steel Moka pot do you have? I have my eye on the bonVIVO Intenca Stovetop Espresso Maker. Seems to have good reviews.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    6,135
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    My wife and I were purely old school coffee makers forever: multiple Bodum French press sizes, ceramic pour over, small Moka pot. But with three kids, she sprang for a Moccamaster during Covid and we havenít looked back.
    It gets used first thing in the morning seven days a week and on the two or three days a week I want something else afterwards I use the pour over or Moka.

    If I had all the time in the world each morning and only had to make a cup for myself itíd be: Pour over, Moka, Moccamaster, French press.
    Last edited by robin3mj; 12-17-2021 at 10:56 PM.
    my name is Matt

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    Like I said, I read a bunch of reviews before settling on this one, but the one I got was the LuxHaus 3 cup Moka Pot, it's still on Amazon for $39, they do make a 6 cup version if you want more capacity, my wife doesn't like coffee so it's just me drinking it so 3 cups are fine for me. I've had this Moka Pot for 3 or 4 months and it works as good as the old AL one did. You can get better Stainless Steel Moka Pots that run into the low $100's but they all do the same thing and make the coffee the same way, I don't see the point in a more expensive one unless you have a designer kitchen you're trying to impress with a fancier coffee maker like the Kamira, but of course you could always put the Moka pot in a cupboard. By the way, the $100 Kamira got slightly lower reviews than the LuxHaus did on Amazon. The Luxhaus has a 100% guarantee against rust for life, but I don't put much stock in warranties.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,696
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    I might have a slight mancrush on James Hoffman. Either way, I love his videos. And his AeroPress method has become my default AP method. I think the last one I watched was a 20min vid on less expensive grinders (sub-$300). Wifey can recognize his voice now.
    -Dustin

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    Problem with his method is while I waited the 2 minutes 3/4ths of the water went through the coffee, through the filter and into the cup, it didn't set there like his did, I used a fine grind but I may have to go finer to keep that water there longer. The other weird thing is he says to turn the maker upside down so it doesn't drip, not necessary if you press the plunger really hard to squeeze the water out.

    So I changed my grind to finer same thing, so I used a espresso grind, now it stayed, but I still had about 1/3rd of the water go through. Any finer of a grind and I would be doing a turkish grind!

    I made two cups of coffee, using the same water level, same amount of coffee, same grind, I did his way and my way with the French Press method I described in an earlier post...quite frankly, I thought my way was a bit stronger in taste. Try yourself doing it his way, then the French Press way. Once I poured in the water into the AeroPress just as he does and as one would do with a French press, stir the grounds gently for about 15 seconds, let it wait for 4 minutes, (do not stir the second time, I got mixed up with the AeroPress), then press through as you would with a French press. Let us know what you thought of the taste difference.

    Keep in mind, everyone's coffee taste buds are different, I like a real strong flavor which is why I really like Turkish coffee, so my coffee tastes toward the stronger spectrum you may not like, but try the experiment and see what you think.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: AeroPress vs Pour Over

    Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    My wife and I were purely old school coffee makers forever: multiple Bodum French press sizes, ceramic pour over, small Moka pot. But with three kids, she sprang for a Moccamaster during Covid and we haven’t looked back.
    It gets used first thing in the morning seven days a week and on the two or three days a week I want something else afterwards I use the pour over or Moka.

    If I had all the time in the world each morning and only had to make a cup for myself it’d be: Pour over, Moka, Moccamaster, French press.
    I was told by a coffee shop owner who was from the old world, Serbia, that machines that make Moka, Turkish, and other coffees are not true to flavor of the old manual ways, they tend to add to much water, so he convinced me not to buy automatic machines of any sort! Even in his coffee shop he uses manual espresso makers instead of the machines that you find at other coffee shops, he said Americans like the sound of an espresso machine making all of that hissing noise because it tells them they're getting an espresso! and it serves as a lure to other customers to want one. And his espresso was one of the best I've ever had, that one, and the one I got at an Italian restaurant in San Francisco that used a manual pump as well.

Similar Threads

  1. Pour Over Filters
    By Bobonli in forum Cooks - Epicureans - Toque-istas
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-23-2019, 05:09 PM
  2. AeroPress 101
    By holliscx in forum Cooks - Epicureans - Toque-istas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2017, 01:09 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •