Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Not about NAHBS" NAHBS thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The "Not about NAHBS" NAHBS thread

We have threads that talk about the location, business and theory of NAHBS- I feel like in all of that we lost some focus on the reason for the event- people and bikes. I'd be interested to hear about what folks enjoyed (let's not dwell on what you didn't jive with).

Personally I had a great time talking with people- I spent a lot of time thanking folks for traveling out, volunteers for helping it all run smoothly and facility folks for keeping the nuts and bolts tight. It was great to match faces with screen names.

I was busy enough I didn't get to venture out of my space much, but the bikes looked great from where I stood- tell me about what you liked that I (unfortunately) missed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The "Not about NAHBS" NAHBS thread

I liked the guys on either side of me. It was also super nice of Michael of Magnolia to be so damn helpful all the time. He's a class act!
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked all of it. Like you, I thought it was great reconnecting with old friends and making new ones. I had two customers that flew in from New Zealand and I had a great time talking with them. Seriously, they flew out from NZ to see NAHBS; that kind of passion and motivation is infectious! It even surprised me how much I enjoyed giving the seminar that was scheduled for 1 hour and ended up lasting for 2-1/2. People are so motivated and energized and I feed on that. It is so easy to get caught up in cynicism and negativity on the internet and I just don't get that at the show -- it's like a vacation for me.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it's a bit more about the people than the bikes. It's not entirely different than my yearly college reunion - it draws people from around the country, and around the globe, to the same place, for three days, to hang out, share in what they appreciate, reconnect, and hopefully get out and ride. I realize this might deviate a bit from the original intended purpose of NAHBS, but I'm on the other side of the equation as a consumer, and that's a topic for the other thread.

It was awesome to see the OP's bikes in person for the first time, to shake his hand, and talk to him about what's going on in his world and what inspires him. Were it not for NAHBS, it's likely we'd never cross paths in person, and real interaction > e-interaction, in my book anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't agree more. I had a great old time talking with folks from everywhere (there seemed to be as many folks from everywhere else as there were from Texas), going to the parties, seeing old friends, looking as some kick ass bikes and last but certainly not least, enjoying the weather in Texas. It was 90° warmer in Texas than at home on Sunday. No that is not a typo. On that day I was in the right place at the right time as they say.

Thanks to all.

Dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    I liked the guys on either side of me. It was also super nice of Michael of Magnolia to be so damn helpful all the time. He's a class act!
    Agreed, Mike was a big help to all of us. Having the Oregon trail was a great idea and a lot of fun.

It was great getting to know my cube mates better and hanging out with folks that make really cool stuff.

I mean really cool.

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nahbs was awesome for me. i do look at it as a vacation and a time to re-connect with real friends in real life. it's about not just bikes but most importantly bike people. i'm all about a kidney spine liver punch when the event calls for it- but i'm with archie's take. this fucking industry is awesome- builders, clients, cyclists, etc. every person i met in austin at the show was enthusiastic- passionate, interesting and definately a person i'd buy a drink for or take kidney spine liver punch for...although because its nahbs and awesome only the former would ever happen.

hollow threats i know...but i'm in it for life.

thanks everyone- i'm like glowing and shit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    For me, it's a bit more about the people than the bikes. It's not entirely different than my yearly college reunion - it draws people from around the country, and around the globe, to the same place, for three days, to hang out, share in what they appreciate, reconnect, and hopefully get out and ride. I realize this might deviate a bit from the original intended purpose of NAHBS, but I'm on the other side of the equation as a consumer, and that's a topic for the other thread.

It was awesome to see the OP's bikes in person for the first time, to shake his hand, and talk to him about what's going on in his world and what inspires him. Were it not for NAHBS, it's likely we'd never cross paths in person, and real interaction > e-interaction, in my book anyway.
    said by the man with the press pass!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said it in the other post and have said it to countless others on line and face to face. It is the connections made and friendships solidified that make NAHBS what it is. For me at least. Rendezvous time is the best time.

This little tribe we have, this little cycling tribe, is very special. Very unique. This tribe extends well beyond the "walls" of Velocipede. I am talking about the passion shared among strangers that no longer makes them strangers. I am talking about Don's customers that flew in from New Zealand. I want them part of my tribe.

I am honored to be part of what is happening in the framebuilding world. Because of NAHBS I get to see firsthand that this extends beyond the infinitesimally small portion of this world that I occupy. It confirms that I am part of a greater whole and I cannot describe how good that feels. To those that traveled from the four corners of the globe to view, thank you. To those that volunteered an entire weekend to schlub boxes around for the vendors, thank you. To my fellow exhibitors who I just met or I got to reconnect with, thank you.

I consider you all my friends and I will always have a beer waiting for you.

Till Sacramento,

Tim O'Donnell
    Last edited by hmbatrail; 03-03-2011 at 01:49 PM.
    Tim O'Donnell- Shamrock Cycles
    www.lugoftheirish.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    Yeah, talk about a score. I will say this about Kevin. When we were running low on Daddy sodas he hopped on his bike and did a beer run and came back with a case on his back. Now that is press coverage. Let's see Jimmy Huang do that shit.
    Tim O'Donnell- Shamrock Cycles
    www.lugoftheirish.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmbatrail View Post
    Yeah, talk about a score. I will say this about Kevin. When we were running low on Daddy sodas he hopped on his bike and did a beer run and came back with a case on his back. Now that is press coverage. Let's see Jimmy Huang do that shit.
    no shit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    Dude. They don't give that shit to just anybody.

I could write a book about last weekend. Seriously. From getting lost with WayneJ to rickshaw rides to riding Mickey's BMX bike all over 6th St. in a Hugo Boss blazer after eating Korean BBQ burritos at 2:30 AM to how f'ing awesome MJ's was to us all weekend. Then maybe I'd be "real" media.

I drafted a post to the weekend ride reports, tried to be brief, and it ran over three pages, so I just pasted it in a Word doc for later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmbatrail View Post
    I will say this about you - I love you man. Same to Griff. As soon as you questioned my ability to get a few cases of beer 6 blocks on a bike, I had to prove you wrong. Former courier skills kicking in.

I will say this about your wife - she was my savior on Saturday between my first two rides of the day. I spent an hour chasing down the Rapha ride only to flat, then a couple hours at the show before joining the Austin Flyers on a noon ride, and the entire time I was at the show, I was a complete mess (I wonder why?) and kept losing stuff. First my camera, then my...business paperwork. You know, journalist stuff. Each time, I'd finally circle back to Shamrock, retracing my steps, and there she was, with my stuff, picking up after me. Simply awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NAHBS Austin was totally awesome because of EddieBirdsell.

...and what you other guys said, too. It almost goes without saying that the highlight was getting together face-to-face with friends I generally 'see' only on-line. And there was some nice hardware there, too.

But what really strikes me is that almost without exception, every time I met someone new I'd think, "What a great person!" I'd start naming names, but you know who you are.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Ferris, I loved it. Great city, great friends, great venue. I enjoyed meeting my tube and component suppliers, hanging with Joe Bell at the decal seminar and just doing my thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A fun weekend to be sure. Meeting Zank, Tim, Dave Anderson, John Caletti, his wife Cory, and everyone else really resonates with me. Hell, I don't even remember actually looking at bikes, I wanted to meet the people and talk.

Having Andy Hampsten sign a poster for me was really special as well.

Plus great food, great weather and great guitar shops.

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really enjoyed seeing Keith Anderson and Joe Bell walking around together for a lot of the show. They are so open to answering questions about technique and product it is incredibly refreshing. I also had a lot of fun hanging out with the Vanilla/Coat crew across the aisle; Eric is a riot and was a blast to BS with. Drew had an amazing amount of work in his booth for a one person shop and it all looked awesome. The biggest take away I had from the show was the positive energy from so many of the builders. While I don't have a shingle in the game yet, I do feel in a sense I am member of the community, and it really is an amazing one to be in.
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was fugkink awesome. Everything from seeing all of you to staying at our little motel, it ruled. Four days of intense fun and partying. Great stuff.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was cool to meet everyone I didn't know, check in with the people I met in Richmond, hang with the True Fab and Daltex guys (Glenn has adopted me into the TX fb community) and check out all the cool stuff. Thanks to Sean Chaney for giving me the rundown on the JD2 bender and it's shortcomings, Wade B for being cool and chatting about mutual friends (and the shirt) Todd @ Black Cat for having his dropouts on sale (and bringing great bikes).
    Thanks to all who had words of encouragement and "why aren't you exhibiting?" questions. I'm shooting for next year. Thanks to Mickey for the shirt, and apologies to Mickey for not knowing where to get him breakfast.

The coolest part was making the trip with my fb'ing mentor Rich, and figuring out the guy knows half of everyone. Including Gary Fisher and Richard Sachs. I think he's interested in building again:)
    The only downside was just not having enough time.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    It was cool to meet everyone I didn't know, check in with the people I met in Richmond, hang with the True Fab and Daltex guys (Glenn has adopted me into the TX fb community) and check out all the cool stuff. Thanks to Sean Chaney for giving me the rundown on the JD2 bender and it's shortcomings, Wade B for being cool and chatting about mutual friends (and the shirt) Todd @ Black Cat for having his dropouts on sale (and bringing great bikes).
    Thanks to all who had words of encouragement and "why aren't you exhibiting?" questions. I'm shooting for next year. Thanks to Mickey for the shirt, and apologies to Mickey for not knowing where to get him breakfast.

The coolest part was making the trip with my fb'ing mentor Rich, and figuring out the guy knows half of everyone. Including Gary Fisher and Richard Sachs. I think he's interested in building again:)
    The only downside was just not having enough time.
    And Ed is the person who most reminds me of me. You better watch that shit, Ed.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast