User Tag List

Thread: Are you seeing what I'm seeing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are you seeing what I'm seeing?

Would appreciate a 2nd opinion (you might have to squint a bit), but I think I figured out the noise that has been driving me crazy (though tbh, now I wish I hadn't)

Last edited by snotrockets; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:04 PM. Reason: higher resolution image

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Are you seeing what I'm seeing?

Yes, I see a crack propagating through the weld at ST/BB junction. I had that on a 6/4 ti frame several years ago. Builder (Lynskey) 'fixed' it once, but it cracked again after a few rides. They then gave me a warranty frame. Straight to E-bay for a variety of reasons not germane to this thread. It had been ticking for months and I chased every possible cause until the crack became evident. It was hard to see because it was a painted frame.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was ticking under effort for some months. I thought I finally traced it to the FD slipping and hitting the crank. The I’ve seen this. I like this bike very much, but I don’t think it’s worth trying to fix. Or that I could afford rn a frame that would be just as good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly, highly unlikely to fix. On a positive note, you might be able to find a comparable quality used ti frame cheap. Disc/fat tire mania has its benefits as people are unloading bikes that 'only' run 23 - 25's and rim brakes.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking of getting an all road in the fall (we have some nice fire trails here which aren’t as much fun on 25s), so wondering if I should get it now instead, or get a used alu frame and hang the current group on. Maybe I should start a 30 page thread discussion ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is pretty clear.

If you want to keep riding TI, and allroad , planet-x offer a rather nice and not too expensive model:
    Tempest - Titanium Gravel Adventure Bike | Planet X

(they also have a standard non-disc road ti frame if you want an iso replacement)

I have no share in their business but I have been happy with my all road carbon space chicken, it is pretty much my favorite bike right now.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:30 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    If you want to keep riding TI, and allroad , planet-x offer a rather nice and not too expensive model:
    I like this frame (great geo from Mr. Kellogg, reasonable weight, timeless looks), but I have no sentiment for titanium. My only requirement from a frame material is that it won't rust.

I'm not looking for a real gravel bike: more of road race bike that I can push wide enough tires to ride unpaved roads without being too careful about it.
    My current thinking, sure to change by next week, is get a Canyon w/105 disc, upgrade the wheels, and put the widest rubber I can fit (32?). Planet-X seems to be in the same price range, only with more vibrant color schemes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snotrockets View Post
    I like this frame (great geo from Mr. Kellogg, reasonable weight, timeless looks), but I have no sentiment for titanium. My only requirement from a frame material is that it won't rust.

I'm not looking for a real gravel bike: ... only with more vibrant color schemes.
    Your thinking is right; you're going to have to get a disc brake frame if you want the range of tire widths you desire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are 35mm tires, fwiw...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Pics, but I currently have Barlow Pass 38mm tires on my 57mm caliper equipped Zank. The brakeset is also a pair of TRP RG957. They offer more room to fit large tires versus the Shimano BR650 that I previously used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    No Pics, but I currently have Barlow Pass 38mm tires on my 57mm caliper equipped Zank. The brakeset is also a pair of TRP RG957. They offer more room to fit large tires versus the Shimano BR650 that I previously used.
    They also open quite wide and one does not have to deflate the tire to remove the wheel.
    Nevertheless, I went back to BR650 because I have found the TRP arms to be too flexy. Enough to impact brake performance.

Almost as flexy has the rings on the 3 arm compass cranks ... :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CXinNH View Post
    They also open quite wide and one does not have to deflate the tire to remove the wheel.
    Nevertheless, I went back to BR650 because I have found the TRP arms to be too flexy. Enough to impact brake performance.

Another thing with TRP 957 is that on medium-small frames makes difficult to fit a front light, especially "long" ones like Supernova and the likes: most brackets for the light will clash with the claiper arm, also very little room for the cables on small frames. Other than that, good brakes for the money.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CXinNH View Post

I can't disagree with any of this. I think what you experience with the TRP brakes is the planing phenomenon. I have the sensation in my TRPs too. They gobble up a bit more tire versus the BR650s, but in the end, the Shimano brakeset is superior. And of course, the Compass crank also planes well too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All those years of dismissing disc brakes only to realize that riding with rim brakes forces you to compromise the clearance or efficiency of your brakes.
    --
    T h o m a s