Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526

Thread: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

I'm sure you look after your bike a lot better than this! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    There are several problem with that design.

For a start, the seatpost locking system is not a "wedge" type but simply a plate onto the two M5 grub screws act as compression device.
    The size of the thread is not sufficient to hold the weight and forces in that area.

Furthermore, though you're not supposed to torque those grub screws over a relatively low torque (IIRC, 3Nm) the 2.5mm Allen Hex is not enough to cope with a seized screw.

Speaking of "seized screw", this is the other problem: the position of those grub screws is right where you get spray form the rear wheel, so both the grub screws and the inner of the seatpost plate (as when compressed, a gap grows up between the frame and the seatpost) do get quite a bit of crap leaking in. So it's likely that the grub screws will rust and seize in place, you know how "off the shelf" bikes are assembled in the factory, right? Grease in key areas is still largely unknown
    A recipe for disaster.

Oh, but is "cool"

All of these disadvantages noted on my bike. Luckily, I have a fender bike for when I know it will be raining, but the stupid little (ad deep) access holes for the 2.5MM beasties gets clogged up anyway, as you say. I have been regularly greasing/checking these things to try to avoid the outcome in your pictures. Even the stem (Most tiger ultra aero) that has a similar design uses bigger screws with torx heads for this purpose, wish they would have done the same on the seatpost assembly which bears a lot more weight.
    Andy Cohen

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear....

Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like

These old Campy hubs are very well used but the bearings are perfect. I was never going to use them again, or get around to selling them, so my son got some new balance bike wheels. I put a solid axle in the rear and re-spaced it to 120mm. Bye bye Joytech, hello Campy!

Jason Henkle
    flickr
    instagram

Post Thanks / Like

^Dad of the Month^
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

You have created a component snob. He won't settle for anything less than record 11 speed on his first bike!

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like

Love it! So much better than hoarding unused. Well done.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Project: Miyata Two Ten

Just picked up my new project bike. A 1985 Miyata Two Ten. Came across one for sale locally at a good price and decided to use it to improve my current "all-around"/general purpose bike. Will be used primarily on rail trails, dirt/gravel roads (I have another bike for the worst gravel grinding conditions). My current all-around is built on a 1986 Steve Bauer Chinook frame - Tange double butted, Japanese Built. Just two issues with it: the max tire I can fit into the frame is 32c and the brakes are center/side pull. The Miyata has room for more tire and cantilever brakes, along with a longer wheelbase, triple butted steel frame, etc.

Here is the bike currently:

P1000658.JPGP1000659.JPGP1000661.JPGP1000662.JPGP1000665.JPG

From what I can tell reading the original specs, the stem and handlebar are not original. Neither are the wheels; it has Shimano hubs and Araya rims. Original specs were UKAI rims and Sunshine hubs. Drivetain and brakes are all original.

So with my old bike, I converted it to flat bar, with a mountain triple front, bar-mounted shifters and Shimano R10 wheels.

Need to decide what to do with the new one. Like the look of the original triple with the awesome 28t granny gear, but not sure how practical it will be for a gravel bike. Also assuming I will need to convert the down tube shifters to bar shifters for practical purposes. And if i wand wider tires that will mean swapping the 27" rims for 700C.

Like the classic look of the bike but don't think I can keep it like that and also make a very functional gravel bike. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Project: Miyata Two Ten

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    ^Dad of the Month^
    Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    You have created a component snob. He won't settle for anything less than record 11 speed on his first bike!

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    Love it! So much better than hoarding unused. Well done.
    Ha, thanks folks! It actually felt pretty good to put those hubs back to use. I'm still waiting on the frame to get back from paint. Should be a very fun little build.

Now I've got these Joytech hubs sitting around. Any takers? Spacing is only 90mm and you could easily drop another 10mm, only 16 spokes --> super aero!
    Did I mention the infinitely adjustable cup and cone technology?!
    Jason Henkle
    flickr
    instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Project: Miyata Two Ten

Current paint job waiting clean-up then clear: