User Tag List

Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 683

Thread: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

  1. #321
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,722
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    I made a promise in (erk) 1982 that I'd look after this bike. She belonged to a college acquaintance who was a buttstrong racer and all around amazing woman. She never re-claimed the bike however I've keep it in good order and let friends ride the bike. I've finally found the right person to give this to so hun if you are still out there this is your last chance to claim her. Blue is going to a very good friend who will make good use of the bike. The bike is approx. from 1950, skip tooth chainset and coaster brake. I've got some cleaning to do but really it's in great shape because I rebuilt everything about 10 years ago....it's just a little dirt ;) Really an awesome bike.

    skheadbadge.jpg
    skrings1.jpg
    sksideshot.jpg

  2. #322
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Mass
    Posts
    11,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hot damn that Monty Ward is a beaut. I think my Mom had one, but dark red. My earliest memory of going fast on a bike is on that, standing elbows out with the nose of the saddle in the middle of my back. That thing would roll...
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

    Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

  3. #323
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,722
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Hot damn that Monty Ward is a beaut. I think my Mom had one, but dark red. My earliest memory of going fast on a bike is on that, standing elbows out with the nose of the saddle in the middle of my back. That thing would roll...
    Welllll since you axed >>>


    st1.jpg

  4. #324
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    13,722
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    I grew up in a bike riding family and the only bike I knew my late father to ride had the inch-pitch chain. I have no idea what brand it was but he rode it my entire childhood around town in Appleton, WI. Definitely from the same era.

    He claimed riding it wrecked his knees. But I think running from his 30s, starting in Converse All Stars, because that's what was available, until he was 70 is what actually wrecked his knees.
     

  5. #325
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Cape Ann, MA
    Posts
    2,909
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I made a promise in (erk) 1982 that I'd look after this bike. She belonged to a college acquaintance who was a buttstrong racer and all around amazing woman. She never re-claimed the bike however I've keep it in good order and let friends ride the bike. I've finally found the right person to give this to so hun if you are still out there this is your last chance to claim her. Blue is going to a very good friend who will make good use of the bike. The bike is approx. from 1950, skip tooth chainset and coaster brake. I've got some cleaning to do but really it's in great shape because I rebuilt everything about 10 years ago....it's just a little dirt ;) Really an awesome bike.

    skheadbadge.jpg
    skrings1.jpg
    sksideshot.jpg
    That is really cool. Joins the 2 new sachs and the grey Firefly in the "best looking new (to the Salon) bikes on the Salon" IMHO.

  6. #326
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,722
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    Thanks Andy, I agree. That bike is going to get used alot.

  7. #327
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,722
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    New shoes incoming for Blu to replace vintage Schwinn Typhoon.

    In in the immortal words of Johnathan Winters "You could lose a buddy that way".

    IMG_1959.jpg

  8. #328
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    Unmasking and polishing to do on this (wife's bike) now that I've finished the respray, then it's getting a 6800 upgrade:


  9. #329
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    Just saw this on Insta, very well done Rich.

    What kind of setup did you use to paint? I want to put together a collapsible at home setup if possible to do it safely.
    justin rogers.

  10. #330
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    Quote Originally Posted by EightySixer View Post
    Just saw this on Insta, very well done Rich.
    Thanks - I'm very pleased, and have learnt A LOT from doing it.

    Quote Originally Posted by EightySixer View Post
    What kind of setup did you use to paint? I want to put together a collapsible at home setup if possible to do it safely.
    I had a 'booth' made by using lightweight plastic drop sheets stapled to the garage rafters so that they overlapped well and created a room of sorts. They were weighted down to keep them from flapping, but with enough room left at one corner to create an opening to climb in and out. I had a fan on the floor in the opposite bottom corner to the 'door', blowing out of the 'booth' in an attempt to extract some of the overspray and fumes.

    The frame was hung upside-down via a brake cable in the BB drain hole attached to the garage rafters - which worked surprisingly well, although it actually meant the frame was too free to move (spraying one side would make the bike start to spin!). If I could make the same setup work again I'd use it, but probably with a broomstick in the head tube to control movement, and probably with the frame the right way up.

    Critically, I was wearing a paint rated mask. DO NOT spray without one - I did one coat on the forks without the mask and felt ill for hours afterwards.

    This was actually a test to see how much I like doing it, with a view to doing more, ultimately with a view to considering doing it full-time. As I said on Insta, it is possibly the most enjoyable and rewarding bike-related thing I have ever done. I already have one other frame lined up to do - if I enjoy that too I might start offering some dirt cheap resprays to friends and club mates to get some more experience under my belt.

    I'll create a similar setup next time, but with sturdier material for the 'walls', more light and more extraction - hopefully to include filtered extraction of sorts too, as I was very aware of the fumes I was creating and I didn't like that at all.

  11. #331
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    Right on man. I saw a very cool PVC Pipe structured booth similar to what you set up on Instructables.

    Might I ask what you used to spray? I am thinking of grabbing a compressor and a higher flow airbrush setup as a starter set but am worried I will just regret not saving to buy a proper setup from the jump. I already know I enjoy painting, aerosol, acrylic, canvases, panels ect. and recon I'll enjoy this just as much.
    justin rogers.

  12. #332
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    Quote Originally Posted by EightySixer View Post
    Right on man. I saw a very cool PVC Pipe structured booth similar to what you set up on Instructables.

    Might I ask what you used to spray? I am thinking of grabbing a compressor and a higher flow airbrush setup as a starter set but am worried I will just regret not saving to buy a proper setup from the jump. I already know I enjoy painting, aerosol, acrylic, canvases, panels ect. and recon I'll enjoy this just as much.
    A PVC pipe structure would be a great idea to create a more portable and adjustable semi-permanent spray booth - thanks for that tip!

    This one was painted with Dulux Duramax enamel rattle cans. I'd like to do the next one with a proper spray gun, but that depends what I can get sorted.

    Main priority for me next is a mask cutter. Cutting masks by hand is a real ball ache.

  13. #333
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    Damn fine job with rattle cans Rich, it sure fooled me. If/when you find any leads on an amateur at home setup and tooling send your findings my way would ya?

    This is the PVC "Portable" booth I came across, thought it a pretty damn witty idea myself too.
    How to Create a Paint Booth in Your Garage: 12 Steps
    justin rogers.

  14. #334
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    Will do buddy - and thanks for that link, very useful.

  15. #335
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    back in black

     

  16. #336
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    Back in wood and gold:



    Excited to get this back on the road, and now without having to tell people what the brand is.

    I still need a QR code on the fork to take people to a page that explains the whole thing, though - depending who is around and whether or not it gets spotted, my bottle refill stops can get quite lengthy!

  17. #337
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    15,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    New brake day! Well, actually it was a couple days ago, but the bike was in the stand today to make a final adjustment and final trim to the cables. I replaced the Force brakes with the Red AeroLink brakes and swapped the wheels back to the Fulcrum Nites. Damn thing stops like it has disc brakes now.

    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

  18. #338
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    bike looks great Matt. dead simple machine.

    do the RED aerolink brakes really have more stopping power/modulation that the Force counterparts?

  19. #339
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    15,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    bike looks great Matt. dead simple machine.

    do the RED aerolink brakes really have more stopping power/modulation that the Force counterparts?
    It feels that way. I've swapped wheels around a bunch lately, all between bikes with either red aerolink and force brakes, and the aerolinks seem to require less effort and give more clear feedback (if that makes sense). The fulcrum nite wheels squeal like a pig with force brakes. They're silent now so this upgrade is really for everyone I ride with.
     

  20. #340
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norfolk, England
    Posts
    635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Works in progress: what's on the bike stand today?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    It feels that way. I've swapped wheels around a bunch lately, all between bikes with either red aerolink and force brakes, and the aerolinks seem to require less effort and give more clear feedback (if that makes sense). The fulcrum nite wheels squeal like a pig with force brakes. They're silent now so this upgrade is really for everyone I ride with.
    Are you running the Swisstop pads that the new brakes came with, or swap to the Blue pads for the wheels? I have the same combo (Red Aero + Fulcrum Nites) and I swapped the pads out, but thought that the Swisstop pads would probably work well too...?
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 169
    Last Post: 09-14-2016, 10:16 PM
  2. Replies: 127
    Last Post: 01-03-2014, 01:34 PM
  3. bike repair/maintenance stand
    By JoB in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-03-2013, 03:03 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •