Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Who makes 18h, 20h and 24h road rims for rim brakes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who makes 18h, 20h and 24h road rims for rim brakes?

Just wondering for custom wheels what the options might be. I found these but not much else.
    - HED Belgium
    - H Plus Son Archetype
    - Boyd Altamont Lite
    - Boyd 28mm Carbon clincher Rim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Who makes 20h and 24h road rims for rim brakes?

I didn't check each and every one of these for 20/24, but those are pretty common drillings, so I suspect...

Carbon? ENVE, Boyd, Nox, Reynolds, Corima, Zipp and more.

Aluminum? HED, Boyd, Easton, Kinlin, Pacenti, Velocity, H+Son, DT, Stans, A Force and more.

What are you looking for more specifically? There are plenty of options.
    Last edited by Matthew Strongin; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, aluminum. Also, I was looking through QBP not thinking that they do not stock every rim manufacturer.

Feel free to delete the thread as I obviously pressed the panic button to soon on lack of options.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I didn't check each and every one of these for 20/24, but those are pretty common drillings, so I suspect...

Carbon? ENVE, Boyd, Nox, Reynolds, Corima, Zipp and more.

Aluminum? HED, Boyd, Easton, Kinlin, Pacenti, Velocity, H+Son, DT, Stans, A Force and more.

What are you looking for more specifically? There are plenty of options.

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum?

HED - Yes
    Boyd - Yes
    Easton - No
    Kinlin - have heard mixed reviews
    Pacenti - Yes
    Velocity - Yes
    H+Son - Yes
    DT - Yes
    Stans Yes
    A Force - Yes

Post Thanks / Like

I had our friend Ergott build a set of Pacenti Forza rims to Wheels Mfg. hubs. I did 28/24 because I'm fat but most folks could use a 24/20 build. The offset drilling is what got me to sign up.

Post Thanks / Like

New Open Pro comes in 24h. I’m currently running some front and rear on DA 9k hubs. They work, but I don’t think I’d offer them for a customer...not a lot of rim for not a lot of spokes.

Braking is impeccable, at least (but then, they’re the first aluminum rims I’ve run in ages, on any bike). And the spoke bed is significantly more robust than many of the alternatives. Tubeless set up is a breeze.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    New Open Pro comes in 24h. I’m currently running some front and rear on DA 9k hubs. They work, but I don’t think I’d offer them for a customer...not a lot of rim for not a lot of spokes.

Braking is impeccable, at least (but then, they’re the first aluminum rims I’ve run in ages, on any bike). And the spoke bed is significantly more robust than many of the alternatives. Tubeless set up is a breeze.
    I am going to assume you are referencing the Mavic Open Pro rim (and not all 24h rims).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Easton - No
    You can get an Easton R90 SL in 20 holes. Call them directly.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's crank up the difficulty of this question...I finally washed my Parlee after a couple weeks of crappy weather riding and discovered some very concave rims under all the grime. So I think it's time to replace the first gen HED Belgiums with something new.

Here's the tough part. The front hub is an 18 hole Alchemy (new WheelsMFG). The rear is a 24 hole DT 240S, which is no big deal to replace. I'm not finding much in the way of 18 hole rims outside of Zipp, though. Anyone know of any other good options?

Post Thanks / Like

Let's crank up the difficulty of this question...I finally washed my Parlee after a couple weeks of crappy weather riding and discovered some very concave rims under all the grime. So I think it's time to replace the first gen HED Belgiums with something new.

Here's the tough part. The front hub is an 18 hole Alchemy (new WheelsMFG). The rear is a 24 hole DT 240S, which is no big deal to replace. I'm not finding much in the way of 18 hole rims outside of Zipp, though. Anyone know of any other good options?
    You are looking at this the wrong way. Get a DT Swiss 240s front hub in 20h and then get whatever kind of rims you want (see above list which you helped create).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    You are looking at this the wrong way. Get a DT Swiss 240s front hub in 20h and then get whatever kind of rims you want (see above list which you helped create).
    That's an option too, but then I'd have this sweet Alchemy hub just sitting around. And it has new bearings in it, with a spare set in the parts bin, so I should get another 14 years worth of use out of it. But from a pure cost effectiveness standpoint, a new front hub would end up being much cheaper than two new carbon rims. We'll see if there are any options other than Zipp.

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from using half the holes in a 36 hole rim the only other one I could find is Easton EC9 SL 7c (622) Rim I have no experience of it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jacobs View Post
    Apart from using half the holes in a 36 hole rim the only other one I could find is Easton EC9 SL 7c (622) Rim I have no experience of it though.
    I appreciate the research, but oh god no. I had a set of Easton EC90 SL wheels years ago. Everything about them was terrible.

Post Thanks / Like

18H rims are really rare, for a reason. But there are some. Stan's Alpha 400, Velocity A23 (and likely some other Velocity models), and this Kinlin rim.

None are great options IMO. I like the idea of getting a 20 or 24H hub, and then a set of the Belgium Pluses. Or Boyd Altamonts.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

That's an option too, but then I'd have this sweet Alchemy hub just sitting around. And it has new bearings in it, with a spare set in the parts bin, so I should get another 14 years worth of use out of it. But from a pure cost effectiveness standpoint, a new front hub would end up being much cheaper than two new carbon rims. We'll see if there are any options other than Zipp.
    Sell the Alchemy hub on eBay and let it be someone else's problem.

or Do you need a paper weight? Door stop? Wall art?

or go Chris King style and turn it into a espresso stamper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    18H rims are really rare, for a reason.<snip>
    I hear ya...but for what it's worth, I've beat the ever living crap out of mine and they never gave me a bit of an issue. Never even had them trued and they've been ridden hard for years.

Anyway, anyone in the market for an Alchemy ELF 18 hole hub with spare bearings?