Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: White Industries CLD water intrustion

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: White Industries CLD water intrustion

Same but different. WI T11 CLD rear wheel. Has been in a cupboard for about a year. Certainly hasnít been out in the rain.

Feels like the bearings have siezed. Worked for a moment then back to seized. Any tricks? Or is it straight bearing replacement time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Thanks! Just noticed this....

Dropped you a line. I too like the hubs. They've been trouble free until now but now definitely need a service. All the WI hubs I've ever had have been absurdly smooth so this is a bit of an anomaly for me. The rear isn't perfect either but doesn't seem like I'm grinding sand in it quite yet. But I'd love to get both back to like-new smoothness and I'd prefer to do the work myself, so I'll need some hints on which tools and which bearings to get.
    IIRC you take off the adjustment collar with an impossibly tiny allen and tap the axles out with a soft hammer during which the bearings may come out on their own - from my experience they are not in there super tight - then just re-assmble with new bearings = do it over something as often the tiny foil springs and pawls will all just fall out too and it's easy to damage the springs

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    Same but different. WI T11 CLD rear wheel. Has been in a cupboard for about a year. Certainly hasnít been out in the rain.

Feels like the bearings have siezed. Worked for a moment then back to seized. Any tricks? Or is it straight bearing replacement time?
    Nothing wrong with the bearings. Turns out the retaining collar is sided and i had it around the wrong way. Put it back the wrong way when i tried to silence the freehub! Sorted. And spinning smoothly again...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a long time we were replacing all the White Industries equipped Enduro bearings with a better quality SKF unit because some of the Enduros would turn into grumpy messes almost instantly. The problematic Enduro bearings had either a black or blue seal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    For a long time we were replacing all the White Industries equipped Enduro bearings with a better quality SKF unit because some of the Enduros would turn into grumpy messes almost instantly. The problematic Enduro bearings had either a black or blue seal.
    OK YOU tell them for me. Every time I'm at trade shows I have these conversations with them to the point of offering the produce solid grease for free. W.I. is playing is safe using "just ok" quality bearings and grease. They could do alot better.

There I said it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So much marketing crap out there regarding bike bearings, especially ceramic. Bearing loads on bikes are very minimal compared to those of almost all other industries. If you want quality buy industrial bearings; measure the bearings you're replacing and use the reference tables of the manufacturer(NSK, Timken, etc.) to get what you need, might have to search a bit for a vendor but they are available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    OK YOU tell them for me. Every time I'm at trade shows I have these conversations with them to the point of offering the produce solid grease for free. W.I. is playing is safe using "just ok" quality bearings and grease. They could do alot better.

There I said it.
    We went back and forth for years while we were replacing customer bearings and then swapping the White Ind spec'd bearings for SKF ones. Finally they made a change and the new bearings seem to be much better.

It was weird though - 9 out of 10 of the Enudro bearings would last really well but 1 in 10 would go rumbly very quickly. It would rarely develop play and would still spin really well but would feel gritty. The kind of thing which if it were my own hub I'd probably just keep riding it but not the kind of thing you can (or should!) tell a customer who just paid bigbucks for a new wheelset.

PS we have a draw with a few hundred Enduro bearings if anyone wants a bulk deal :-D

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123