User Tag List

Thread: What cable hanger is LVH running?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What cable hanger is LVH running?

What is this low profile deal? I want it.

http://www.cyclingdirt.org/photo/808...8329#ad-image6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What cable hanger is LVH running?

Well, the noodle is a Dia Compe Flexie (or Short Flexie). The rest looks home made using a V-brake noodle anchor.

Not the answer you were looking for, sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt - I saw the same one once on a bike that came through the shop. It was a aluminum framed German or Dutch brand - can't remember the name right now, let me rack my brain. I think it might have been a boutique-type shop with a few locations that had a house brand.

I had the same thought - how do I get one of those things? Looked around and couldn't find one anywhere.

It was essentially a carbon plate with one hole 1 1/8" for the steerer and another for the ferrule. Very simple. Super low stack height.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    Matt - I saw the same one once on a bike that came through the shop. It was a aluminum framed German or Dutch brand - can't remember the name right now, let me rack my brain. I think it might have been a boutique-type shop with a few locations that had a house brand.

I had the same thought - how do I get one of those things? Looked around and couldn't find one anywhere.

It was essentially a carbon plate with one hole 1 1/8" for the steerer and another for the ferrule. Very simple. Super low stack height.
    Thanks, if you find it please do post the info. I'm trying to deal with the worlds tallest headtube over here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    Thanks, if you find it please do post the info. I'm trying to deal with the worlds tallest headtube over here.
    If your fork as a hole, I would suggest one of these :

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    If your fork as a hole, I would suggest one of these :
    Those also reduce the juddering that affect carbon forks in some cases.
    I do prefer the fork cable stop, as it gives a more natural passage for the cable. The Headset stop, if few (or none) spacers are used, gives a sharp angle to the outer.
    No surprise that on the bike mentioned above there's a V-Brake flexy noodle, best way to sort that out; or sometimes the outer has to be looped over the stem
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've had several threads discussing the fork-mount cable stop, including yesterday. Please check with the VGoogleista search up there in the upper left hand corner of the screen. Several of the builders here fabricate their own custom versions as well, which are much more elegant. Off the top of my head, Clockwork Joel, Shamrock Tim, and possibly Eric Estlund?.

Britishbane is looking for that particular cable hanger, as have I in the past. Based on two data points, sounds as though it might be coming out of Europe.

Any of you cats in the EU seen this unit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone here sent a CX fork to Ruckus to have one of their fork-mounted hangers installed? How'd it turn out?
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've looked around and asked our in-house designer (who is an avid CX racer by long time), to no avail
    :(

It does remind me something tho, but can't really narrow down the path.
    There's something similar made by Tektro, for the rear, that could be tricked for the front. All it needs is a carbon-fiber plate as a thin h/set spacer, and some gizmo to hold it down.
    Tektro Rear Canti Hanger 1276AT.1 31.8mm

IMHO, I don't like something that can tilt back and forth, the brake outer casing would easy push it to one side, looks bad and may create friction.
    I'd rather just get an integrated h/set top-cap with the built-in cable hanger, and work it on the lathe to make it as thin as possible. Send once to the pal of the machine shop and we could easily achieve a 10mm overall thickness of the top-cap, which isn't bad

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen bikes where someone has used a Surly hanger like this:

Or a genericker (as in more generic) hanger like this:

But I don't know whether either would help a shuddering front brake situation. And you have to be d&mn sure your bar clamp bolt isn't simply clamping the hanger, rather than the bar. Hanger should hang/move freely I'd say. Torque values etc. everything has to be right. Don't want to greet your bar. Front teeth are nice to have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last photo is from my bike. It's a hanger designed for a seat collar bolt. I ground off the top of the bolt hole so that it could be wedged in one of the stem bolts between the stem and faceplate. My steerer tube was cut pretty short so I didn't have room to put a traditional steerer tube mounted hanger on it.

It is lightweight, and has worked well without failure for 3 years. I have a steel fork and haven't had any brake shudder issues, probably a different story with carbon since there is a lot of exposed cable between the stop and the staddle wire. The thing I don't like is that the cable bend is very sharp. When I have time I will probably give a fork-mounted one a try since I do have a brake hole on my fork.

The LVH one looks pretty damn cool and doesn't jack up your stack height as much as some of the other designs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grinding off material fomr the stem's face plate?
    Yes, Thomson's are very well designed, but I won't recommend doing that.

Apart from a very little amount of material around the hole where the hanger is kept in the stem (where the hanger itself is pretty thin, too); the problem also is the bend that the cable has to go trough.
    Not good, use the hole in the forks considering there is one! Don';t even need to replace the whole brake cable outer: join another piece via an in-line adjuster, or a more simple end ferrule of a v-brake noodle.

Very often I sorted the problem given by "short stack" setup, by using some of those old cable hangers that would stay sandwiched in threaded headsets. Just needs to grind off the little tooth inside (the one to prevent t from swaying), and that's it. Stack would increase by a mere 3mm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

put me firmly in the 'hanging from the stem is a bad idea' camp, my poor stem already has enough stress on it. Loading it with braking forces...ummm, no thanks.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That hanger looks similar to one seen on Bart Wellens' bike a while ago, which he says was made by someone he knows, but with no details.

About a year ago Velo Orange posted a photo of a very similar part as a teaser in their blog, but I don't think anything came of it.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    Grinding off material fomr the stem's face plate?
    Yes, Thomson's are very well designed, but I won't recommend doing that.
    Nothing is removed from the face plate of the Thomson. If you take one of these hangers and put the stem bolt through it, it won't work. The top edge of the hanger (material around the top of the bolt hole) will interfere with the bar. The top edge of the hanger is ground off so its more of a U shape instead of an O. The edges of the hanger get sandwiched in between the stem and faceplate. I tighten the lower bolts evenly and then the top so that the torque isn't all over the place. Only modification is to the $3 hanger. Is it the best solution? Definitely not. But I can't say its ever caused me problems either. I thought for sure after a lot of braking that at one point the metal on the hanger would have fatigued and snapped on me, but nothing like that in 3-4 years I've had that bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leonard Zinn does something similar on his cyclocross bikes. Again, I think you'd really have to make sure the clamp was not simply clamping down on the hanger because then you risk uneven stress on the clamp, bolts and the bar even torqued to same values. It looks like in Zinn's photos that the hanger has wiggle room which would mean it isn't likely to interfere with the clamping forces. Musgrave is right though. It ain't an optimal solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, no thanks re: those stem mounted hangers. I'm not that adventurous. I like the idea of a low profile, steerer tube mounted hanger. I may just go mini-v and avoid all this....though I have no complaints about the actual functionality of my Paul's cantilever brakes, I just want a lower stack height.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simworks makes a stem with an integrated hanger.
    Dirty RHONDA Stem – SimWorks USA

Hanger attached to threaded boss in stem.
    Sim works stem.jpg