That's what I'm here for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Warning graphic content. Ugly Bike Parts

The good news is we are talking about bike parts:

I'm guessing there is a dentist and heart surgeon forum somewhere and they are posting pictures of teeth unbrushed for a decade and lungs caked with nicotine.

seriously though, i hear ya. i'm also the neighborhood mechanic and i shake my head at some of the stuff i have seen. i definitely agree that a good or great cyclist does not equate to someone who knows how stuff works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Nope.

I used to work on my pals (redacted to protect somethingoranother) xxx bikes. They were always decked out with Campy goodness. He is a very good rider, good person, holds doors for old ladies and kisses babies but GAWD FORBID he put a soapy sponge to his bike now and than?

On a regular basis I had to disassemble brake calipers because they were frozen from sweat. Hoods would melt off this cats bike. After years of mercy work I finally told him I'm done if you don't start washing your 'ing bike.

We are still friends.
    I think it is more a diet issue than a washing issue. I barely wash my bikes, like only once every 2 months or so. But I don't have nuclear sweat that corrode everything and I still deassemble/reassemble the BB/headset/seatpost at least once in a year to check the bearing, cleanup and put some fresh grease
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I changed the rear tire on my MTB today. WTB Vigilante 29X2.5" with two years worth of Orange Seal top-offs. The inside of the tire looked like a sentient being. I've had a 29" tube in my stash bottle on every MTB ride since Steve made that bike in 2019. Today I realized that I would never be able to put a tube in that tire on the trail. I guess I'm fortunate to have ridden it almost bald in two years with no flats or plugs.
    image-3736784127.jpg

Boogers are yucky.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. ó James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread reminds me of something I've yet to figure out and is one of my biggest pet peeves. I'll never understand why people don't clean their shit.
    Gawd forbid you try washing something before selling it. F it with 15,000 miles of grime on it. Used to see ads 'could use a wipe down'. Now, dirt seems to be a badge of honor. I dunno.

As an owner/operator, cleaning is part of the joy.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever looked at people's eyeglasses? How do they see out of those things? Those aren't lenses, they are Petri dishes.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup.
    don't get me started.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Have you ever looked at people's eyeglasses? How do they see out of those things? Those aren't lenses, they are Petri dishes.
    I used to work at an optometrist's office. I was the 16 year old making your glasses in an hour while you wait. I will never be able to get the green (why green?!) nose pads out of my mind's eye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras72 View Post
    I'll never understand why people don't clean their shit.
    Gawd forbid you try washing something before selling it.
    I bought a Klein that was a bit grubby thinking it would be a cool commuter. Got it home, cleaned it, and found myself in possession of an absolutely immaculate example that I ended up selling for double the price I paid.

I've just bought a Colnago Master Piu for the same reason - clean up, change of bar tape, set it up nicely and it'll be a beauty. The previous owner just didn't seem to care about its potential.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does amaze me when I walk into a bike shop and I see the racks of filthy bikes lined up for service. Iím the goof that vacuums and washes his car before taking it in for service and state inspections...loser.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    It does amaze me when I walk into a bike shop and I see the racks of filthy bikes lined up for service. I’m the goof that vacuums and washes his car before taking it in for service and state inspections...loser.
    I do this too. It is leftover from the era of owning cars where I had to search for that particular inspector who would take pity on my finances and vehicle. I figured the least I could do was clean the car.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo de Acero View Post
    It looks more like you are involved in a bad plumbing project instead of taking care of a headset. Wow!
    Nope, that's worse. I just replaced 3 toilets in my house and the pipe and flange in the floor looked better than that. I cleaned out the trap and drain in the kid's bathroom, and the living black conglomeration of shaving detritus, hair, soap, shaving cream, toothpaste and accumulated skin cells causing it to take forever to drain, while the size of a decent mouse, looked better than that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It never stops. Online claims you can cross chain with no consequences. The tips of the teeth are sharps aspins.
    IMG_20210426_171330329-min[1].jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this one is a little different but I saw this on GCN yesterday and I love it - everything from the double front suspension, to the aero bars, to the sprung saddle, on a suspension seatpost on rear "suspension". Just amazing. First bump and that seatpost is going to do some mischief to the spring too.

It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg View Post
    I know this one is a little different but I saw this on GCN yesterday and I love it - everything from the double front suspension, to the aero bars, to the sprung saddle, on a suspension seatpost on rear "suspension". Just amazing. First bump and that seatpost is going to do some mischief to the spring too.

At least the fork is facing the right way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COVRTDESIGN View Post
    The nicer the bike and components that come into the shop, the less they know about maintenance, in my personal opinion! haha
    IME the truly high end and the truly low end stuff suffer from the same affliction. The owners just ride them till something's not right and call me to fix their stuff

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg View Post

I really like the double stem option. So many positions can be had that ride!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12