Thread: Want to Know - Best Floor Pump Valve Head

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Want to Know - Best Floor Pump Valve Head

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    They generally jam the head onto the valve rather than lightly inserting the valve and letting the lever compress the gasket for the seal. The issue isn't getting it on so much as it's getting the head back off. Especially with threaded valve stems.
    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I have a box of Continental tubes. Each new one I use, I remove the valve core, clean it up, put a dot of blue Loctite on the threads, re-insert and tighten but good. Something about their valves, but this little two-step seems to get them going right-way.
    It's not the valve core coming out. I think Matt's anecdote is probably in line with what I've experienced since Conti valves are threaded. And yes, I need to back off a bit to make it work. What I don't understand is the physics underlying this problem, that it's a problem with threaded valves but not with unthreaded valves even though I'm not doing things differently.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    It's not the valve core coming out. I think Matt's anecdote is probably in line with what I've experienced since Conti valves are threaded. And yes, I need to back off a bit to make it work. What I don't understand is the physics underlying this problem, that it's a problem with threaded valves but not with unthreaded valves even though I'm not doing things differently.
    Aha - got it.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Topeak for sure. I have one on my compressor, one on a floor pump and one on a Craftsman handheld compressor. I also have a Super Pista which is my go-to simply because the gauge is so good but I hate both the Silca barrel valve and the Hirame style valve. One of these days, I'm going to fix the plunger on my other floor pump and integrate the Silca low pressure gauge to it.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I think the Hirami chuck and all its similars are probably great for 120psi, but very few people are using that kind of pressure these days. Plus the locking lever design isn't great when dealing with some factory wheels and bladed spokes.

That Topeak TwinHead TT linked to is basically the same operating principle for $26.95. With a hose. I've had my Topeak pump for a long time. No problems.

While I am complaining, Silca chucks should look like this:

Not like this:

to thread into this:

What is the issue with sliding a barbed end into the hose and fixing it with a clamp? Especially if you are doing it anyway with the schraeder fitting?
    At first I thought the comment was brass vs. stainless (explanation: CA Prop 65 / lead content, and product liability...).

As for the barb vs. no barb... I agree that it's inconvenient when refitting an older pump, however the failure point is usually the hose, not the fitting.

In my pump quiver, I've got one of those dual-head SKS floor pumps previously mentioned - it's hard to beat in terms of value for money. I mainly use it for shrader-valved kids' bikes because the presta head gave up a firm seal and I've not explored how to repair it.

I've had the pleasure of using the Hirame and the Hiro, and the Hiro has a slight edge, IMHO, even though it's derivative of the Hirame design. It has the advantage of iteration. At this point, I only use smooth valve stems, which generally means keeping some tube stock on hand. Once you get a system that works, it's easy to maintain.

That Tanaka looks great for the money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got that Silca Hiro head as well. Itís decent but hardly life altering. The reason I got it is that my Zanconato gravel bike is tubeless and Iíve yet to find unthreaded tubeless valves. Most of my tubes are threadless Michelin tubes. I wanted a solution that didnít involve a new pump with a clamp-on pump head. For this the Silca does nicely.

I also have to their presta chuck on another pump. Itís very nice. But I only use it on smooth valves. To do otherwise is to replace the rubber often.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the smooth stem, closest I’ve managed is the e thirteen. Which looks chunky, but has grown on me. http://https://www.ethirteen.com/collections/e-spec-wheels/products/tubeless-valve?variant=29367265525863
    My name is David Moeny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I got that Silca Hiro head as well. It’s decent but hardly life altering. The reason I got it is that my Zanconato gravel bike is tubeless and I’ve yet to find unthreaded tubeless valves. Most of my tubes are threadless Michelin tubes. I wanted a solution that didn’t involve a new pump with a clamp-on pump head. For this the Silca does nicely.

I also have to their presta chuck on another pump. It’s very nice. But I only use it on smooth valves. To do otherwise is to replace the rubber often.
    Sorry, I'm not really understanding this. Could you please expand? You got the Hiro for threaded valve stem? And a clamp-on head does not work with threaded stems? And, apologies for the Fred question, but what's an example of a clamp on head?

Full of questions this morning...
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Sorry, I'm not really understanding this. Could you please expand? You got the Hiro for threaded valve stem? And a clamp-on head does not work with threaded stems? And, apologies for the Fred question, but what's an example of a clamp on head?

Full of questions this morning...
    I got the Hiro head for the threaded stems. It works fine. Prior to this I was either using a threaded Schrader adapter or using my Zefal frame pump to top up the tire pressure.

A clamp on pump head is any that would use pressure via a lever or other mechanism to increase the clamping pressure of the head. The Hiro head is an example.

Traditional chucks just slide over the valve but the threaded nature of tubeless valves make this undesirable.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I got the Hiro head for the threaded stems. It works fine. Prior to this I was either using a threaded Schrader adapter or using my Zefal frame pump to top up the tire pressure.

A clamp on pump head is any that would use pressure via a lever or other mechanism to increase the clamping pressure of the head. The Hiro head is an example.

Traditional chucks just slide over the valve but the threaded nature of tubeless valves make this undesirable.
    Ok, got it now. Thanks!
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not going to be using it for everyday inflation, but I just got this for compressor tubeless setup. Still have not used, but very clever: a valve core removal tool INSIDE the valve head chamber so you can remove core for higher flow to seat a tire, then replace core and air up normally. No more remove core, seat tire pull off head and cover valve with finger and try to insert the core routine. Some tires will stay seated if they deflate but my reynolds seem to allow them to pop back down when deflated so this should be really helpful. for those of you with tubeless combos that fight. includes bleed button

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro.../1394-TUBIHEAD

TUBH-01_main_2.jpg

edit: it also is used on a new dual chamber pump
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That Topeak head is ingenious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to confirm, can you attach that Topeak head to a compressor threaded fitting? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Msriddle View Post
    Just to confirm, can you attach that Topeak head to a compressor threaded fitting? Thanks
    no. it comes with a hose that has what I assume to be a topeak floor pump threaded piece that I plan on cutting off for a barbed fitting. the world of thread connectors for compressors is kind of maddening

edit: btw, the barbed looking part shown on the product page is actually a presta to schrader adapter for using the head on schrader valves
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

download.jpeg

splicing it on to something like this is sop; you just have to make sure the hose diameters match up. there seems to be 2. choose something cheap and replace the gauge with either digital or a quality dial gauge in the range best suited for application.
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did spring for the Hirame because, uh, I could.

Works just fine.

Thanks, all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit late to the party, but on the left is my current go-to pump, a $30 inflator from WalMart. The nice thing is it's simple to use: Just pull the trigger and let go when the lighted gauge on the back shows your pressure. I bought the DeWalt adapter since I have a bunch of batteries already, though you could just buy the Hart batteries.

On the right is one I'm intending to use for my mobile toolbox to save some space and weight. I'll be modifying it to accept a Milwaukee M12 compact battery as I have several other tools in the M12 system and no spare batteries are sold for the inflator.

My choice for these inflators (and the previous Craftsman inflator these replaced) is a Bontrager pump head that does Presta or Schrader with no changes at all.

I've preferred these pump heads ever since working in a shop. They save time having to explain how the pump works, which valve type they have, etc. It's intuitive and just works. Sadly, this superior model with metal parts and a bleed button is no longer sold. Planet Bike sells a similar one, though I haven't tested it out.

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-F.../dp/B00JLYDKIA
    Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post

I've preferred these pump heads ever since working in a shop. They save time having to explain how the pump works, which valve type they have, etc. It's intuitive and just works. Sadly, this superior model with metal parts and a bleed button is no longer sold. Planet Bike sells a similar one, though I haven't tested it out.

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-F.../dp/B00JLYDKIA
    Topeak makes something called The Smarthead that does Schraeder or Presta automatically without adapters. It works fine but the one I had occasionally pulled the core out of Presta valves with removable cores.

They make a regular version: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...AD-UPGRADE-KIT

and a metal version: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...DX-UPGRADE-KIT
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12