User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vintage Shimano 600 modern BB equivalent source? (BB UN70 or equal)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vintage Shimano 600 modern BB equivalent source? (BB UN70 or equal)

I'm looking to build up an old Dave Scott Ironman. I found a cheap frame and I had one in college that I rode everywhere since I didn't have a car, so it sounds like a fun project. It had Shimano 600, so I'm looking to find some in good condition groupset.

Anyone have any recommendation on a modern bb that will fit the older spindle style of 600 bbUN70? I'm not having much luck finding documentation on anything modern that specifically says it's a reproduction of that.

Thanks,

Sino

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Vintage Shimano 600 modern BB equivalent source? (BB UN70 or equal)

You may try and find a BB-UN300. It is available in 107, 110, 113, and 115 mm widths for 68mm. shell. I not the best reference for spindle width. My guess would be 107 or 110mm. They have an MSRP of $15.99 A quick search of the internet shows they available.
    If you go looking the 68x107 UPC # 192790619286, 68x110 UPC # 192790619200. Or have your shop order from Shimano which may have some in September! Hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

WSSD? Questions like these is what Sheldon Brown’s website was made for. I’m betting that crank takes a 113.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

And you’ll have a bunch of choices for a decent BB with cartridge bearings. Probably in stock at most bike shops. Shimano UN7x or UN5x are nice units.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was it tricolor 600 that you were looking for? Nice set here, though missing crankset and BB.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-600...gAAOSw8-lgagrg
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the 600 on the Ironman was 6207 in which case the BB spindle was 116mm for BSA.

6207 BB on Velobase

BB-UN7x 68x116 appears to be the equivalent.

SKF make a replacement Shimano BB in 68 x 116 but it costs more than you probably paid for the frame.
    Mark Kelly

maker@lyrebirdcycles.com

lyrebirdcycles.com

The world is analogue, digital is a facsimile therof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    WSSD? Questions like these is what Sheldon Brown’s website was made for. I’m betting that crank takes a 113.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

And you’ll have a bunch of choices for a decent BB with cartridge bearings. Probably in stock at most bike shops. Shimano UN7x or UN5x are nice units.
    Oh man, what an old person moment. I totally forgot about Sheldon's website, drr. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Was it tricolor 600 that you were looking for? Nice set here, though missing crankset and BB.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-600...gAAOSw8-lgagrg
    It was tricolor, but it absolutely must be dt shifters. None of that new fangled stuff. I *think* it was 7 speed, the version right before they came out with grip shifters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    I think the 600 on the Ironman was 6207 in which case the BB spindle was 116mm for BSA.

6207 BB on Velobase

BB-UN7x 68x116 appears to be the equivalent.

SKF make a replacement Shimano BB in 68 x 116 but it costs more than you probably paid for the frame.
    What a cool resource, thanks!

Honestly, you aren't lying, the prices on this stuff is mind-blowing. It was probably my favorite groupset of all time though. It never, ever, didn't work perfectly.