Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very small chain tools

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Very small chain tools

Has anyone handled either of these? If so, your impressions?

KMC Mini Chain Tool

Park Tool CT6.3 Folding chain tool with peening anvil
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Very small chain tools

I haven't used either of those, but in my experience small chain tools suck. They're okay in a saddle bag for repairs in the field, but if you want something to use at home in the shop, get a real chain tool. They work SO much better.

I have this guy, and it's a pleasure to use. Super solid, well made, and enough leverage to show the chain who's boss.

CT-3.3 Chain Tool | Park Tool

EDIT to add, actually I have the 3.2, not the 3.3 linked to above, which is newer. I'm not sure what the difference is though.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 04-08-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I haven't used either of those, but in my experience small chain tools suck. They're okay in a saddle bag for repairs in the field, but if you want something to use at home in the shop, get a real chain tool. They work SO much better.

I have this guy, and it's a pleasure to use. Super solid, well made, and enough leverage to show the chain who's boss.

CT-3.3 Chain Tool | Park Tool

EDIT to add, actually I have the 3.2, not the 3.3 linked to above, which is newer. I'm not sure what the difference is though.
    Sorry, I was not clear: intended for the jersey pocket, not for home.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The KMC/ Clever is awkward. In my opinion. Super small, though. Slightly fatter than a AA battery. I'd say it's good if you carry around one of their tire levers to use as the 2nd handle.

I carry one of these in one of my boxes - Mini Chain Tool+ w/Valve Core Remover Ė 1647/5MINI | Unior USA

It works, and works well. The few times I've needed it. The valve core remover/ handle can be taken off to give it an even smaller footprint in a saddle bag.

--edit--

I see KMC's is designed such that it's got a removable handle for the body. That's good, and an update to the Clever tool I have. I imagine that would make a substantial difference in usability. Still, I prefer the Unior.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the Clever chain tool for on the bike use. It has me lugging it around when I use to only pack a chain tool for remote mtb rides. I've only ever needed one on the bike once so I don't feel like it's as necessary as it use to be. My other on the bike tool was a Shimano, it wasn't all that compact but it was pretty light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    The KMC/ Clever is awkward. In my opinion. Super small, though. Slightly fatter than a AA battery. I'd say it's good if you carry around one of their tire levers to use as the 2nd handle.

I carry one of these in one of my boxes - Mini Chain Tool+ w/Valve Core Remover – 1647/5MINI | Unior USA

It works, and works well. The few times I've needed it. The valve core remover/ handle can be taken off to give it an even smaller footprint in a saddle bag.

--edit--

I see KMC's is designed such that it's got a removable handle for the body. That's good, and an update to the Clever tool I have. I imagine that would make a substantial difference in usability. Still, I prefer the Unior.
    Funny you should mention the Unior one because I did have an eye on it, especially since I think the valve core remover is a bonus, so thanks for the feedback.

What's interesting about the KMC tool is that, other than the small form, it holds the the chain on both sides. I find that with small chain breakers, it's somehow trickier to make the chain stay in place whilst driving the pin in. Also, mechanical problems tend to happen to me towards the second half of the ride when I'm tired and less inclined to focus on little procedural details...
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Also, mechanical problems tend to happen to me towards the second half of the ride when I'm tired and less inclined to focus on little procedural details...
    i was going to bring this up, but didn't....one thing i really like about the Unior is that it works like a normal chaintool. Chain in cradle, drive the pin. I had to think about the Clever. It wasn't 2nd nature. And wasn't used enough that it'd ever be 2nd nature. I try to remove as much thought as possible from things I can control.

Like Wera hex keys. I have to think about putting them back into the holder, because they're different than every other hex key I've used. So they remain stationary on my bench. (maybe it's just my particular holder...it's super tight)
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the park 6.3. It is really fucking heavy. But dense, in a good way. My old crank bros multitool has a chain breaker so I bring that. Initially got the park so I could peen campy pins, but concluded quick links were a better solution in the field.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    I have the park 6.3. It is really fucking heavy.
    I couldn't find the weight info and was afraid that it might be rather heavy, so thanks.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brought the 6.3 to work

My m17 or 19 multitool from crank bros is 175g give or take a few

The park 6.3 is 125g

Firmly into the why does this exist category

Finally, the tiny chain breaker that comes in the one up steerer unit is a scant 21g. Sure you need an Allen key to drive it, but I canít imagine riding with a chain tool and no Allen keys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got this Topeak one (It is the Link 11 folding chain tool).

I got it because I often ride in places far from any level of support where I am not fluent in the language. Of course, to this point and without any intention of jinxing it, because I have it I have not needed it out in the real world.

But, in the comfort of my living room it worked fine.

It is 91 grams. This is a picture of it unfolded. Folded it all fits into the silver body part. You can't see it in the picture because it fits inside that black piece but there is a double hook to help hold the chain together while you put in a link.

IMG_8218 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr

Unfortunately, I can't remember where I got it but since it is Topeak it is probably anywhere.
    Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thereís a lot of good multi tools out there with chain tools as part of them. Iíve been carrying a crank bros m17 with me since 2008 maybe? Used the chain tool a handful of times and never found it lacking.

If youíre committed to carrying one separately Iíve used some tiny ones from birzman and lezyne and theyíve both been acceptable. Canít remember which one makes it but the ďlightírĒ I think itís called is very light. Iíll weigh it if I can remember.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    Firmly into the why does this exist category
    Haha! Definitely. Thanks for weighing it.

The initial appeal for me was that there are no exposed sticks that may make storage / pocketing a bit awkward, but I suspected that it was a chunky monkey.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    I got this Topeak one (It is the Link 11 folding chain tool).

I got it because I often ride in places far from any level of support where I am not fluent in the language. Of course, to this point and without any intention of jinxing it, because I have it I have not needed it out in the real world.

But, in the comfort of my living room it worked fine.

It is 91 grams. This is a picture of it unfolded. Folded it all fits into the silver body part. You can't see it in the picture because it fits inside that black piece but there is a double hook to help hold the chain together while you put in a link.

Unfortunately, I can't remember where I got it but since it is Topeak it is probably anywhere.
    Thanks for this. Interesting. Will have a browse around the Interwebz.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off topic but speaking of multitools, if there is only one Philips screwdriver included, it tends to be #2 . I've also read a few people mentioning the PH2 as a workshop essential.

Is PH2 a MTB thing?

I had a quick look at my road bikes from different decades, but the only Philips I need is #1 . OK, the clamp on the Crane Karen bell requires a #2 , but that's not exactly a regular maintenance issue.

Or, do I just have weird bikes?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for this. Interesting. Will have a browse around the Interwebz.
    I'm a bit ashamed to say that the Topeak Hummer 2 is my only chain tool. It works well enough for the 3-4 times a year I use it but the multi-tool itself is not particularly sleek/light (167g).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by watchcwgo View Post
    Thereís a lot of good multi tools out there with chain tools as part of them. Iíve been carrying a crank bros m17 with me since 2008 maybe? Used the chain tool a handful of times and never found it lacking.

If youíre committed to carrying one separately Iíve used some tiny ones from birzman and lezyne and theyíve both been acceptable. Canít remember which one makes it but the ďlightírĒ I think itís called is very light. Iíll weigh it if I can remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianWong View Post
    I'm a bit ashamed to say that the Topeak Hummer 2 is my only chain tool. It works well enough for the 3-4 times a year I use it but the multi-tool itself is not particularly sleek/light (167g).
    I'm currently in the carry-one-separately phase although I reserve the right to change my mind at some point! ;)
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Lezyne multitool has one. In my experience these small tools are useful to remove the failed links from the chain, not so good to close the chain back in a safe way. I keep a spare quick link with the tool.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off topic but speaking of multitools, if there is only one Philips screwdriver included, it tends to be #2 . I've also read a few people mentioning the PH2 as a workshop essential.

Is PH2 a MTB thing?

I had a quick look at my road bikes from different decades, but the only Philips I need is #1 . OK, the clamp on the Crane Karen bell requires a #2 , but that's not exactly a regular maintenance issue.

Or, do I just have weird bikes?
    Hey, I can pass along something I learned from some of the other bike nerds here on vSalon!

Technically it's not a PH1 or PH2, assuming you're talking about the limit screws on derailleurs. It's actually a JIS screw. Which is similar to a phillips, but different, and a proper JIS driver will work waaaaaay better for adjusting those screws without caming out.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Hey, I can pass along something I learned from some of the other bike nerds here on vSalon!

Technically it's not a PH1 or PH2, assuming you're talking about the limit screws on derailleurs. It's actually a JIS screw. Which is similar to a phillips, but different, and a proper JIS driver will work waaaaaay better for adjusting those screws without caming out.
    Thanks, now that you mention it, I did know that... So, do people stick a PH2 in there? A little too fat for the job, I thought...
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast