Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Un-coating coated rims

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Un-coating coated rims

Iíve got some Force coated Al33 rims. They are wider than the Park brake pad tuning thingy can cope with. Iíve managed to set them up so they are silent 98% of the time, but do some braking that generates some heat and the squealing is horrendous. Bad enough that you start looking for runoff areas if you just donít brake.

Iíve also had a rim crack (a Pacenti SL23) and picked up some nice replacement wheels with Dura Ace hubs. Beggars canít be choosers, so these are also coated.

So, if I just ignore the special pad demands, does that just wear the coating off, or does the coating eat normal pads?
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Un-coating coated rims

Totally depends on the rim and type of coating. Mavic Exalith, my personal favorite of the lot, would chew through normal pads. The DT Swiss Oxic most likely wouldn't.

I'd try to get to the bottom of why the rims are squealing that 2% of the time. I have (or have had) multiple sets of coated rims from Mavic, DT Swiss and Fulcrum and never had a set I couldn't tame. That said, I've also figured out the perfect way to wear off the coating. Find an area near the ocean and beaches and ride there in the rain. After a few hundred miles of wet, sandy riding your coating will be mostly gone. The squeal may not be, though.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Un-coating coated rims

Yeah, agreed, but Iím kind of at the end of my tether in terms of trying to find it. I donít care about the look, and I donít rate the braking as obviously better so Iím getting hassle with no real upside.

I suspect they are like the DT Oxics...