Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trek Crockett questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Trek Crockett questions

I also meant to say you can do it internally even though it wasn't designed for it. Drill out on of the drain holes just a little larger than it is to run the wire from the a to b box and another hole to run the FD wire, run the wires up and out of the seat tube, attach the junction box and drop it back in the seat tube. Tape or the the wires to the center of the inside of the BB shell. If you are using an Ultegra BB there is room in the center of it for clearance. I am using a King BB and just left the center piece out as there wasn't enough clearance but the wires don't rub if positioned right.
    Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are some pictures.

You can run the rear brake and the wire to the B junction together.

IMG_1419 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr

This is what I mean by the wires through the drilled out drain holes (the ugly part I have to fix is the brake hose is running under the BB and fastened with tie wraps as I took it out of the big drain on the down tube, in the spring I will re-arrange to the proper normal way of coming out of the down tube for the brake)...

IMG_1420 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr

One thing is you have to use a longer than normal ewire (I think it was a 700) for the FD so you can assemble the B junction outside of the seat tube. This necessitated wrapping some extra wire around the outside of the seat tube to take up the slack when it was all done being assembled but it is pretty well hidden...

IMG_1422 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr

And while I am doing this, the Velo Orange fenders mounted up to the Trek planned mounting holes without having to use any work arounds like Brian had with the fenders he started out with....

IMG_1424 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr

And a poor inside the NYC apartment picture of the finished bike...

IMG_1423 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr
    Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work, that's remarkably clean wire routing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    Here are some pictures.

You can run the rear brake and the wire to the B junction together.

IMG_1419 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr

This is what I mean by the wires through the drilled out drain holes (the ugly part I have to fix is the brake hose is running under the BB and fastened with tie wraps as I took it out of the big drain on the down tube, in the spring I will re-arrange to the proper normal way of coming out of the down tube for the brake)...

IMG_1420 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr

One thing is you have to use a longer than normal ewire (I think it was a 700) for the FD so you can assemble the B junction outside of the seat tube. This necessitated wrapping some extra wire around the outside of the seat tube to take up the slack when it was all done being assembled but it is pretty well hidden...

IMG_1422 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr

And while I am doing this, the Velo Orange fenders mounted up to the Trek planned mounting holes without having to use any work arounds like Brian had with the fenders he started out with....

IMG_1424 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr

And a poor inside the NYC apartment picture of the finished bike...

IMG_1423 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr
    Hey apologies for the necro, I bought a Trek Crockett 2017 recently and been struggling with my front guard.
    I've got the Trek 'hidden eyelet' bolts set up however found only a rearward facing hole (seems unthreaded for drainage but it is mucky and obscured) on the fork. Trek official support said they hadn't released support for front mudguards at this point in time for my Crockett 2017, but you also seem to of managed around a 2016-17ish model?
    Mind showing how you managed to attach your front mudguard bridge? Would be massively appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, the rearward facing hole. If you look at the last picture (of the bike against the AC/ Heating) and make it larger it should be able to give you a pretty good idea of how it works. That hole is threaded as I remember as are the two on the bottom of the fork.
    Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
    Hey apologies for the necro, I bought a Trek Crockett 2017 recently and been struggling with my front guard.
    I've got the Trek 'hidden eyelet' bolts set up however found only a rearward facing hole (seems unthreaded for drainage but it is mucky and obscured) on the fork. Trek official support said they hadn't released support for front mudguards at this point in time for my Crockett 2017, but you also seem to of managed around a 2016-17ish model?
    Mind showing how you managed to attach your front mudguard bridge? Would be massively appreciated
    I am not a Trek dealer or know what model years have what details.

Bought mine as a new frame from the Trek site delivered to a local dealer in 2016 and assume it is a 2016 model.

This is what the front eyelets look like -

Non-disc side:
    There is a threaded spot to screw the eyelet into and then lock it in place with the nut. When I received the frame, it had a small black plug in the hole.
    If your isn't threaded, you can pick-up an number of clamp type of pieces made for bikes that don't have eyelets.

Disc side:
    There was a small angled 'L' bracket that came with the frame. This is how I installed it to get it to work.
    There isn't a reliance on additional built-in threaded mounts because you attach it (include it) it to the disc mount.
    This post on this thread shows how it went together. I had to bend the mud guard's arm to ensure it cleared the disc caliper.

Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and found this thread through an internet search. I have a new, 2020 model, Crockett that I bought to do mixed surface and rail trail rides. I swapped out the stock cassette to an 11-42 to get a wider range. The Trek online chat says that 35's are the widest tires the frame will take. I was hoping someone could offer guidance from experience about specific tires that work with this frame. I put a set of 35's that I have used on another bike for loaded touring on the Crockett, but I will eventually want something with a more aggressive tread. The right chain stay appears to be the limiting factor in the rear, but the front looks wide open. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BikeCamper53

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BikeCamper53 View Post
    Hello,

I'm new to the forum and found this thread through an internet search. I have a new, 2020 model, Crockett that I bought to do mixed surface and rail trail rides. I swapped out the stock cassette to an 11-42 to get a wider range. The Trek online chat says that 35's are the widest tires the frame will take. I was hoping someone could offer guidance from experience about specific tires that work with this frame. I put a set of 35's that I have used on another bike for loaded touring on the Crockett, but I will eventually want something with a more aggressive tread. The right chain stay appears to be the limiting factor in the rear, but the front looks wide open. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BikeCamper53
    I currently have Gravel King 35mm on the pink bike above. They measure 35mm from the outside of one side knob to the outside of the other.
    As you point out, the right side chain stay is the limiting factor. You can likely get a 38mm version of that tire in there. That would be tight. And if you picked up mud or other debris that collected on the tire/frame that space would be gone.
    Keep in mind that the pink bike above is a 2016. Not sure if they have changed clearances.

You could run a super wide tire up front without issue.

Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian,
    Thanks for the reply and sorry to be so tardy acknowledging it. I ended up putting Schwalbe Land Rovers 35mm on the bike. I ordered on Amazon and they came from the Netherlands, which took forever. They were very reasonably priced and I am pleased so far. They ride well on pavement and dig right in on loose sand. Trek did change the frame since your bike, but I'm not sure if it changed clearances. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12