Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tools you regret getting?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    Did you like the t handle?

I bought a 4 and 5 from pb Swiss a while back and use them a decent amount, but still prefer traditional hex keys or ratchets

There are specific brunt’s I love them for- I use them for quick adjustments during fitting, and the 5 works really well for adjusting the park facing tool
    For delicate work, sure. Other times, it is awkward. "Other times" being those times when you'd like to utilize the leverage you get from using a T-shaped tool.

When it's all said and done, though, I'll stick with my L keys or T-Handle Hex Wrench – 193HX-US | Unior USA
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Park Tool SS-15 single speed spanner. I got it to slip it in my jersey pocket, but the thin sides are too uncomfortable to apply much force without wearing padded gloves. It now serves as a wedge under a leg of my work table.

I get the impression that Park is to be avoided on most occasions.
    I remember way back showing the Park cone wrenches to a Snap-On Tool guy who wandered into the store. He couldn't believe those were actual tools. At the time, with all the variations in wrench flats on threaded cones and lock nuts, I always had the wrong Park size in my tool box. Or never had the right one. The edges of the wrenches just melted, so even if it was the right size it wasn't after you used it a couple times. From that day on, I go for alternative tools over Park stuff if possible. A lot of times, it isn't - or wasn't back then at least.

Park did make a good Y wrench. And a good pair of wire/housing cutters. The new ones - the CN10 - are ridiculous. I don't think they even snip derailleur cable cleanly.

Regrets - I bought a Park Locking 4th Hand when I should have just gotten the Hozan tool. All those centerpulls I had to deal with at a Schwinn dealership, the locking mech seemed like a godsend. I should have just gotten the Hozan.
    Last edited by j44ke; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:12 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here we go...

Minoura FT-1 portable wheel truing stand. I traded my Park TS-2 for it when I moved into an apartment while our house was being built. Mistake. It works well for what it's supposed to be, but I need a real truing stand.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    USAG T-handles.

For what these things cost, the quality isn’t there (Harbor Freight has tighter tolerances)...which is really, really disappointing.
    How far undersized are they?

As a tool maker, we only get to control half the equation. We can make a killer tool and hold tight tolerances but the other part is almost always out of our control. Things like suspension top caps and bottom brackets are pretty good, but general fasteners are pretty damn sloppy from almost everyone. There's only a few companies that make good screws/bolts and they're appreciable more money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyQ View Post

As a tool maker, we only get to control half the equation. We can make a killer tool and hold tight tolerances but the other part is almost always out of our control. Things like suspension top caps and bottom brackets are pretty good, but general fasteners are pretty damn sloppy from almost everyone. There's only a few companies that make good screws/bolts and they're appreciable more money.
    "undersized"

was that a guess, or have you heard of this before?

the long 2mm will round out any 2mm it touches. the short ends work well. there are a lot of 2mm bolt heads on Specialized road bikes running Shimano.

same with the 4mm. with the T30, the short ends are oversized, but the long end is fine. the T25....ugh. I don't know if it's a USAG + SRAM deal, but I stripped the only 2 flat mount caliper bolts I used the USAGs on.

doesn't really matter at this point. i've stopped using those tools. i just can't come to terms with tossing them out.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I remember way back showing the Park cone wrenches to a Snap-On Tool guy who wandered into the store. He couldn't believe those were actual tools. At the time, with all the variations in wrench flats on threaded cones and lock nuts, I always had the wrong Park size in my tool box. Or never had the right one. The edges of the wrenches just melted, so even if it was the right size it wasn't after you used it a couple times. From that day on, I go for alternative tools over Park stuff if possible. A lot of times, it isn't - or wasn't back then at least.

Park did make a good Y wrench. And a good pair of wire/housing cutters. The new ones - the CN10 - are ridiculous. I don't think they even snip derailleur cable cleanly.

Regrets - I bought a Park Locking 4th Hand when I should have just gotten the Hozan tool. All those centerpulls I had to deal with at a Schwinn dealership, the locking mech seemed like a godsend. I should have just gotten the Hozan.
    Oh, yeah, I forgot about Park's cone wrenches... I have a couple of double ended ones. Mistakes. I've been happy with the single ones from Var.

I have the CN10 as mentioned above... rather pointless.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyQ View Post

Do you have a guide for where to get the good screws and bolts to outfit a bike? I'd gladly drop some coin to upgrade fasteners since, you know, keep bolted components bolted is a good priority.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    "undersized"

was that a guess, or have you heard of this before?
    Well, I've never seen a hex key that was oversized. I was looking for actual numbers if you feel like it measuring them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Do you have a guide for where to get the good screws and bolts to outfit a bike? I'd gladly drop some coin to upgrade fasteners since, you know, keep bolted components bolted is a good priority.
    Socket Cap Screws - Holo-Krome

We use these screws in our fixture clamps that get used A LOT. General hardware store stuff lasts a dozen uses before it needs to be replaced. HK's bolts lasts st least 10 times longer, if I don't hit it with an endmill anyway. Their product range isn't huge but what they make is way nicer than anything you'll find on a bike part, regardless of who makes it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unbrako makes good stuff too. We use H-K and Unbrako interchangeably. Unbrako | Precision High Grade Alloy & Stainless Steel Fasteners

Anything else... good luck. Most of the others are of questionable manufacture (both material and dimensions).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With bike stuff I think the solution is look less at accurate fasteners and more at tools designed to work with shitty ones. My pb Swiss keys are better than my wera hex plus, but the hex plus handle bad fasteners better. Another example would be flank drive sockets from Snap-on, which are designed for shit bolts or nuts. Most fasteners used in the bike industry leave something to be desired, so consider tailoring your kit around that instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good thread fellas.
    What would be the state of the art in cable/housing cutter?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Msriddle View Post
    Good thread fellas.
    What would be the state of the art in cable/housing cutter?
    Thanks.
    IDK about state of the art, but I have a pair of Shimano cable and housing cutters that work pretty well. Have a Pedro's that I like better. The Park in the van I drive seems to cut brake housing cleaner than either of the above.

Haven't tried the Knipex stuff yet, but it's tempting. Maybe next time KC tools is having a sale...

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knipex or felco are the traditional answer. Might be something wild Iíve never seen before as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of Knipex - which model number is the one suggested for bike cables. there are so many options and descriptions it is confusing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by donk View Post
    In terms of Knipex - which model number is the one suggested for bike cables. there are so many options and descriptions it is confusing.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X4KPSA/ : open wide, but cut 5mm housing with ease (aka jaws open up wide enough). feels awkward in my hand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EXOYWI/ : quite a bit smaller form factor and the locking mechanism is nice (squeeze to unlock), but in my hands, i have to actually think when cutting 4mm housing. i don't think i have small hands...but maybe i do.

if i wanted one and done, i'd opt for the former. if i was only cutting cables and 4mm housing, the latter...and for what it's worth, i've got 3 of the 95 61 150s.

i've recently swapped to cutting brake housing with nice diagonal cutters...i can get a really, really clean cut with those, which is why i've favored the shorter 150s over the 190s.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't used the second one dashdustin listed but I have the first one KNIPEX 95 61 190

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny thing is cone wrenches last just fine if you just hold them static and tighten the lock nut.

Most mechanics don't do this, however.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was always loosening when the damage occurred. One side in the vice, the other side with a cone wrench and a box wrench. Stupid Schwinn wheel. No lube in the hub for years, axle slightly bent. Should come apart right? Realize other side is turning on the axle, so flip the wheel and put the other side in the vice. Race and locknut are turning together. Okay just keep going right? And they'll come off one at a time? But axle is slightly bent so the two together bind up but still aren't broken apart. Where is the saw?

And this is wheel #1 for the day. 5 more Schwinn Suburbans to go!

Endless.

I am not proud. I am sure there are solutions I never thought of, but I don't have a time machine so they won't do me any good now.
    Last edited by j44ke; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:25 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12