User Tag List

Thread: Tires: What's in between 42 and 48?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tires: What's in between 42 and 48?

I'm currently running WTB Byways 650x47 on my gravel machine. I'm happy with the performance but the clearance between the sidewall and the non-drive side chain stay is exactly one hair's width. No rubbing but it's a potential choke point for mud and other problems if the wheel is even a small amount out of true. I should add that I'm probably running them a bit over the 'new' inflation level on WTB's website; I run around 42 psi but the current suggestion is much closer to 35 for my weight.

My other go-to tires on my commuter are 650x42 Babyshoes. Also nice tires. But is there anything in between 42 and 47? I can't seem to find anything, having looked at Rene Hearse, WTB, Teravail, Panaracer. Is there somewhere else I should be looking, or am I looking for a unicorn?

Somewhere around 47 seems just about right for rough rough gravel/unmaintained roads that I ride; I was thinking 45 would be spot on and not get too close to the chain stay.

I suppose an underlying, philosophical questions is: How much tire do you need on a gravel bike and at what point should you just be on a mountain bike?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tires: What's in between 42 and 48?

I think my GravelKing SK's are 1.75 inches wide which is about 44mm.

Really cant recommend the GKSK's enough...price, durability, etc.

Usually can find them for < $40/tire.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I suppose an underlying, philosophical questions is: How much tire do you need on a gravel bike and at what point should you just be on a mountain bike?
    I have no input on the What's Between 42-47? question, but I'm always a sucker for philosophical questions!
    When I first started riding a gravel bike I had either 35 or 38 knobbies on it. When it came time to replace my first set of those, since I was spending nearly as much time on pavement as I was off-road, I downsized to 32 Gravelkings.
    Since going to the 32 Gravelkings (which is now probably two full years ago) I have never encountered a ride condition where I thought "this would be so much better with bigger/knobbier tires" and didn't also think "what the hell am I doing trying to ride this on a drop-bar bike?!?! I should be on a mountain bike!"

Admittedly that speaks more to my personal philosophy about what gravel bikes (and mountain bikes) are for, rather than my personal philosophy about what size tires are appropriate for what conditions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe you want wider rims to embiggen the 42's.