Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips or tricks to free bb spindle from bearing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tips or tricks to free bb spindle from bearing

No offense taken, but:
    bike is still on the hook at the shop; we can get it out if it comes to desperate measures, just have not gotten an ok because this guy is cheap. Living with bad bearings is about 3 down on the list of what he is subjecting the bike to now. He's actually kind of a friend of mine. I mentioned the quick release frozen in the hub, right? How about the zip-tied front derailleur? (Well, we of course took care of that one) Not sure how much shop experience you have, but even if you think you know how badly some people will abuse their stuff, how badly some shops do their new bike builds, believe me it is much worse than you can imagine. Finally, have to say that we are "that shop" people bring their bike to after the other ones give up. And that's not thanks to me, I'm just the semi-retired old roadie who covers a couple days a week so the owner-head mechanic and the other good wrench can have a day off. I have to confess that I was surprised how good they were. Speaking of bb's stuck in super bikes, we (well, Dave, it's his shop) just got one of those Look one piece cranks out of frame that spends life at the beach. Had to wait months for the special insert/adapter to get a new crank in there. Anyway, we are on brackish water and have customers from the nearby Gulf Coast, so salt corrosion is pretty common (pool chemicals, too). Finally let's not forget that just as the forumites contemplating custom lugs or carbon tubular merits represent a tiny fraction of the cycling public and even if they are good about keeping their nice stuff maintained, there are many more (gosh, I hate to single out the triathletes, but...) who sweat their balls off on ride after ride and just hang the bike up. And you don't know sweat til you've done a season in tropical southeast Louisiana. We're in the 80s at 85% humidity in March and forget June, July and August (I had stopped using gloves in Ithaca and Cleveland, but here? you need three pairs in rotation)

Did you see the pic I posted of the handlebar broken from corrosion under the tape? Had not been that long since another shop had done that tape job either.
    So I get what you are saying, but have to defend this small shop as one of the best in the area. And really, from a business perspective it is almost better to let this kind of crap go since you never get a fair rate for the time it takes. And for the record we fix more Schwinn (rip) specials to get back on the road than super bikes and spend more time on them than they deserve, but this kid (turning 37 I think) is running a thriving shop on word of mouth alone. We are booked out a good week or so now that tri season is kicking in. And I can almost hold his wheel but no chance of coming around him when he launches his sprint at 35mph...

Post Thanks / Like

for the record (since I wanted to dig up that pic, on p2 of 2nd thread)

corrosive sweat

Sweat Pitting Handlebars

this thread could have ended with the first reply (but it's still fun to engage):

Sounds like it is still in the bike?
    You cant win that battle. The interference fit is tighter than the bearing itself.
    You know what is next.

Post Thanks / Like

giordana - thanks for the thoughtful rebuttal. i absolutely see this side of the story as well now.

i work on my own gear as a labor of love, but running a business is another story. keep up the good work pal, sounds like your shop is one of the good ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    giordana - thanks for the thoughtful rebuttal. i absolutely see this side of the story as well now.

i work on my own gear as a labor of love, but running a business is another story. keep up the good work pal, sounds like your shop is one of the good ones.
    it's all good. I always worked on my own stuff too, not really trusting (or wanting to pay) shops and had never worked in a shop until a couple of years ago (in case you missed my very belated "stop in and say hi" post, I was an academic for a couple of decades before budget cuts, so no bike industry history, just an enthusiast). It has absolutely blown my mind how negligent some consumers are, how shitty some shops build up even their good bikes, how bad the tolerances are from many factory bikes, and good lord, I've seen at least 3 or 4 department store bikes come in with forks on backwards. and I thought I had toe overlap on my little 52cm frames. We use the dremel, drill, hammer and chisel way more than we should have to. And don't even get me started on the nut jobs riding those recumbents and trikes. I don't even get near those things (but they always manage to take a bite out of my shins somehow)

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome reply Giordana. Keep doin' that thing you do.