Thread: Ti frame water bottle boss

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ti frame water bottle boss

I gooned up my Ti Serotta. About a year ago apparently. I was replacing the water bottle cages and I got one bolt out of the downtube one and then turned the cage to get a better angle and it came off in my hand. So now it's even easier, bolt is just sticking up out of the boss. Then I notice it's not straight, cross threaded it last summer when I put the cage on. Now the insert boss just turns with the bolt. Any idea how to get this bolt out other than bending the edge of the insert and using vice grips to hold it? What about inserts, how do I get a new one and how are they installed?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I heart burnt bikes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ti frame water bottle boss

Hey, man!

You need a rivnut gun - we shot those suckers into C'dales all the time - you have to delicately crush them and pull them out.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

So the bolt is cross threaded and not coming out of the rivnut (that's what those threaded doohickeys are called) PLUS the rivnut is spinning in place?

I was going to suggest sliding a small open end wrench between the bolt head and rivnut, and tightening the bolt head against the open end wrench until it strips the rivnut and comes out, but I don't think that will work with the spinning rivnut & it might end up denting the titanium around the hole.

So gently folding up the sides so you can hold the rivnut in place while unscrewing the bolt would be my guess too. Then you can remove the rivnut like Garro says and replace.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I've got some friends at work that fabricate race car and aircraft panels, I bet they can help me with a new rivnut.
    I heart burnt bikes.

Post Thanks / Like

My concern would be galvanic corrosion between the rivnut and the titanium tube. I'd be curious what some of the titanium frame manufacturers use and if there is such a concern mating dissimilar metals. It might be worth sending the frame to a builder such as Moots, Ti Cycles, etc. and have them do their thing.

Post Thanks / Like

If I can get the cross threaded bolt out, I could always try to tighten it up (there's a youtube) and run a tap through it.
    I heart burnt bikes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    If I can get the cross threaded bolt out, I could always try to tighten it up (there's a youtube) and run a tap through it.
    Go nuts but Garro is right. That boss is ruined. Rivnut will do a perfect job and takes 2 seconds.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Hey, man!

You need a rivnut gun - we shot those suckers into C'dales all the time - you have to delicately crush them and pull them out.

- Garro.
    Yep. Rivnut allowed me to put the second cage back on my wife's old litespeed - its a 2 minute job at any competent shop. The problem is that part of the old one is still rattling around in the downtube... Hopefully yours doesnt do the same :-(
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like

I work as an engineer in a manufacturing plant. There is a machine shop across the street that makes a lot of our parts. Friends at work have suggested that I let them fix it and they won't take on the job unless they're absolutely certain they can do it. If they just get the old one out without damaging the frame, I can take it from there. I'm going to check after I return from vacation next week. If they can do it, I'll probably bring my PRS-20 workstand to them to clamp the bike.
    I heart burnt bikes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    My concern would be galvanic corrosion between the rivnut and the titanium tube. I'd be curious what some of the titanium frame manufacturers use and if there is such a concern mating dissimilar metals. It might be worth sending the frame to a builder such as Moots, Ti Cycles, etc. and have them do their thing.
    Baum use Rivnuts for their water bottle bosses (I've seen them being installed at the factory), so I'm sure this is a non-issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    The problem is that part of the old one is still rattling around in the downtube... Hopefully yours doesnt do the same :-(
    Shoot a bit of expanding foam or gorilla glue in there and get it in the goop and let it set up.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fixed it. Got an edge up and used small vice grips to hold the rivnut and got the cross threaded bolt out. Then I ran a tap through to fix the threads, threaded in a longer bolt with a larger nut between the head of the bolt and rivnut. I put a wrench on the nut and torqued the bolt to expand the rivnut until it was tight. I ran the tap through the other 3 rivnuts to clean up the threads and installed new cages with new stainless bolts and a squirt of grease.